Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Shift Sector 4/6

Hey guys,

Had a blast at shift sector today. The event was nicely organized and it was great hanging out with everyone Friday night and today. Shiv wasn't there today but finally got to meet Tony Vargas and check out the VT3 kit. It looks sweet. Can't wait to get mine going. Click here to enlarge

I took our 135i out to race which ran perfectly at the NoFlyZone event but unfortunately today it started acting up. The trans started goofing up in 5th letting the RPMs fly. I tried a few things via the software but they didn't help. Then the last run I did it happened again but finally broke something internally. Engine sounds like a sewing machine and plug 5 has some oil on it. Probably broke off a bit of the piston and the valve ate it. Limped it 120 miles towards home and I'm taking a dinner break right now. Not looking forward to limping up the grade. May tow it from here. :cry:

On the plus side I wanted to build it up for the VT3s anyway. Probably will just go with a mostly OEM block w/ forged 9.3:1 pistons. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn sorry to hear about the motor. I'm sure it will be a beast once it's put back together..
    E92 FBO Cobb stage 2+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

10 out of 17 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This post by shiv@vishnu is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys,

Had a blast at shift sector today. The event was nicely organized and it was great hanging out with everyone Friday night and today. Shiv wasn't there today but finally got to meet Tony Vargas and check out the VT3 kit. It looks sweet. Can't wait to get mine going. Click here to enlarge

I took our 135i out to race which ran perfectly at the NoFlyZone event but unfortunately today it started acting up. The trans started goofing up in 5th letting the RPMs fly. I tried a few things via the software but they didn't help. Then the last run I did it happened again but finally broke something internally. Engine sounds like a sewing machine and plug 5 has some oil on it. Probably broke off a bit of the piston and the valve ate it. Limped it 120 miles towards home and I'm taking a dinner break right now. Not looking forward to limping up the grade. May tow it from here. :cry:

On the plus side I wanted to build it up for the VT3s anyway. Probably will just go with a mostly OEM block w/ forged 9.3:1 pistons. Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear about the engine. So you think it was caused by an over rev from the trans not wanting to shift from 4-5? Doesn't the AT shift to 3rd when it limps?

Also did you get a ride in the Stage 3 car? I know Tony wasn't running it at SS, just curious though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure it was related but not sure exactly what has broken. The revs shooting up sounded very nasty. But I don't think it went over 7300rpm. Definitely has a valve issue but oil on the plug can only be a piston/ring too. Can't wait to pull the head and see what's going on.

Didn't get a chance to drive the VT3 car but spent some time poking under the hood. Looks nice. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure it was related but not sure exactly what has broken. The revs shooting up sounded very nasty. But I don't think it went over 7300rpm. Definitely has a valve issue but oil on the plug can only be a piston/ring too. Can't wait to pull the head and see what's going on.

Didn't get a chance to drive the VT3 car but spent some time poking under the hood. Looks nice. Click here to enlarge
    interesting i had my car rev up to 8000 for a second maybe less with the same issue trans wouldnt shift and just let it rev out however my was a bit luckier i guess
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    A bunch of us are heading down tonight and are running tomorrow. I heard one of our customers (Wedge) won the tuner shootout. Celebratory dinner tonight at Harris Ranch if anyone wants to join us. Hope to see some of you guys at the track tomorrow. Be safe!
    Click here to enlargeI heard my boy ran into you and your lap dog last night, he said you told him you thought I hated you, nothing could be further from the truth. I actually love our fun competitive rivalry, It makes the whole N54 thing fun. I should have paid more attention the SS announcements I would have sworn today was the BMW shootout, if I would have know I would have went tomorrow. I would love to see you guys run, good luck to all and have a fun day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys,

9.3:1 ? what's the thought process behind that number... and 9.5:1's and the thicker head gasket or ACTUAL 9.3:1's? haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, I can't believe it. I'm sorry to hear that Terry. At least you're gonna be able to put those turbos to work with more insurance of a built motor. Once Tony gets the new HPFP done, I don't even think there should be an issue to go forth.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS So you were still able to drive it after the motor broke? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Limped it 120 miles towards home and I'm taking a dinner break right now. Not looking forward to limping up the grade. May tow it from here. :cry:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    @Terry@BMS So you were still able to drive it after the motor broke? Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I drove it most of the way home. When I stopped for dinner I decided to call AAA as I was within 100 miles (e.g. free tow) and was afraid it might not make it up the grade (a big hill we need to crawl over to get back to LA) on 5 cylinders. But I regretted it. It took the stupid truck 1hr to arrive. Then there was a 1hr delay half way as they had to change shifts. And the damn truck only did 45mph up the grade. I probably could have managed that on 4 cylinders. Anyway the 135 is tucked away in my garage now and I'm happy to be home. Will start sourcing new parts Monday. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cant wait for the beast to be built Terry!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    9.3:1 ? what's the thought process behind that number... and 9.5:1's and the thicker head gasket or ACTUAL 9.3:1's? haha
    I believe pistons already exist with that CR. Anywhere in the 8.8-9.3 range is fine with me. Just want a bit more tuning leeway there for the larger turbos. Higher CR high boosted motors are nice and responsive but also can be very finicky.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Grenaded, that's fine happens..good luck with the build! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe pistons already exist with that CR. Anywhere in the 8.8-9.3 range is fine with me. Just want a bit more tuning leeway there for the larger turbos. Higher CR high boosted motors are nice and responsive but also can be very finicky.
    you can get the CP's in any CR you want, only stock or 9.5 OTS though (woo $50 extra for the set in a custom one..).. even a 9.5 would get a $#@!load more leeway over the 10.2? and the thicker gasket would then in turn drop it to 9.3 if it wasn't ENOUGH room?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I drove it most of the way home. When I stopped for dinner I decided to call AAA as I was within 100 miles (e.g. free tow) and was afraid it might not make it up the grade (a big hill we need to crawl over to get back to LA) on 5 cylinders. But I regretted it. It took the stupid truck 1hr to arrive. Then there was a 1hr delay half way as they had to change shifts. And the damn truck only did 45mph up the grade. I probably could have managed that on 4 cylinders. Anyway the 135 is tucked away in my garage now and I'm happy to be home. Will start sourcing new parts Monday. Click here to enlarge
    Been there several times in the past with other cars. Everytime I'll call AAA, they don't fail at being 1hr+ late. There was one time I called them for a flat back when I was 18 which they happen to get there 50min after the call, which I ended up changing with the spare anyways by the time they got there.
    Good luck with the built!
    335xi Sedan 6AT || Weather(45-60°F)
    -PROcede Rev. 2.5 ~ v5 (3/17 maps) / JB4 (8/21 maps) / COBB (Stg2+FMIC LT Agressive maps)
    †Procede Map2(UT 45 - IGN 40) Aggression Target 2.0 (93 Octane) || 0-60 in 4.0sec
    †Cobb E30 LT (35% Ethanol/65% 93 Octane) || 0-60 in 3.9sec
    AR Design Catless DP || BMS DCI + OCC || ETS 5 FMIC || Alpina B3 Trans Flash || 235/265 19" Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who are you going to have build your motor btw?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    That's def a worthwhile question, since there's no N54-specific engine builders. Obviously that's going to change in the near future, especially once the fueling is figured out & more people start heavily modding the N54 (whether the go ST or VTT-S3).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry, you should do a 6MT swap as well with your build, the tranny is still going to cause you grief.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Likely in his garage. Builds are fun and easy. Breaking things is the part that sucks.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Terry, you should do a 6MT swap as well with your build, the tranny is still going to cause you grief.
    We also have a manual E92. It is tempting to throw the VT3s in that car instead. But, I really enjoy driving the 135i step. I think with a good trans rebuild it should hold better.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think with a good trans rebuild it should hold better.
    Any word how Sikh's 6AT / 517-rebuild went?

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Any word how Sikh's 6AT / 517-rebuild went?
    I was hoping to talk with him yesterday about it but he signed up for Sunday only. And I signed up for Saturday only. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was hoping to talk with him yesterday about it but he signed up for Sunday only. And I signed up for Saturday only. Click here to enlarge
    So I guess today would be its 1st real test then?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast