Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Anybody have dyno numbers or track times before and after headers / tune

I've been browsing headers for a C63, and have seen some "enormous" claims on power increases with their headers. I was just trying to get some numbers from someone that isn't trying to sell their stuff. So far the three that I'm liking is MBH, MHP, and Agency power. MHB has 2" primaries, MHP has 1 7/8" primaries, and Agency has 1 3/4" primaries, other than 2" seeming a bit too big, has there been notable differences in power with these different primary sizes with this motor? Thanks everyone, in advance. I'll also consider and probably lean towards American Racing, once they finally build a set for the C63, right now they only make them for the CLS63, and E63.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jeffs Click here to enlarge
    I've been browsing headers for a C63, and have seen some "enormous" claims on power increases with their headers. I was just trying to get some numbers from someone that isn't trying to sell their stuff. So far the three that I'm liking is MBH, MHP, and Agency power. MHB has 2" primaries, MHP has 1 7/8" primaries, and Agency has 1 3/4" primaries, other than 2" seeming a bit too big, has there been notable differences in power with these different primary sizes with this motor? Thanks everyone, in advance. I'll also consider and probably lean towards American Racing, once they finally build a set for the C63, right now they only make them for the CLS63, and E63.
    Go with MBH. They are simply the best for the M156. They will gain you 40-45 rwhp, Headers Only!
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    MBH is the way to go. Stay away from MHP. American racing I've heard are good quality and priced very well. The M156 is majorly detuned from the factory and one of the ways they do that is restricting airflow at the intake/airboxes and the OEM log style exhaust manifolds. Changing those two will net you some serious gains and you will be right at 500whp and probably take a full second off your quarter mile time. Just a word of warning though, long tubes without cats is STUPID loud, totally obnoxious and sounds like $#@!. Running some high flow cats will help with the noise, make it sound better and only take away 5-10hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Finally @Jacob502 and @LZH got along on and agreed, at least on a reply or an answer ( MBH ) Click here to enlarge

I also encourage you on installing MBH headers.
    Fastest Mercedes in the Gulf & the Middle East
    Powered By WEISTEC
    2009 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Weistec Supercharged: 10.576 @ 133.562 MPH

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I totally plan on running cats, I learned my lesson on another car that "no cats" = "big noise". I'm not one of those people who think big noise = big power. One of the loudest vehicles I owned was a 1976 Chevy half ton truck with a 350 pumping out a whopping 180 hp, probably 140 at the wheels hahaha..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

LZH, what is your opinion on what to buy to free up intake restrictions? The stock air inlet looks pretty trick from the factory?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I know "tuning" the ecu will always be suggested, but would it be necessary on anything short of a power adder?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

LZH, what is your opinion on what to buy to free up intake restrictions? The stock air inlet looks pretty trick from the factory?
    I would just buy the factory ROW airboxes. The flow better than the ones made for the US. But at the end of the say, you will not pick up that much power with airboxes. I'd suggest just removing charcoal filters (obviously) and getting some better air filters (from Weistec).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I know "tuning" the ecu will always be suggested, but would it be necessary on anything short of a power adder?
    Not sure I quite understand the question, but if you are doing headers you HAVE to get the ECU tuned. Again, I suggest the Weistec tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I wish Wisetech could do "flash" tuning, instead of sending them the ecu. I'll probably go with Eurocharged solely for that reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The "having to tune" question regarding the headers is because I've added headers to several supercharged vehicles, and although "tuning" would certainly optimize the combination of parts, including headers, the vehicles ran fine before the reflashing, And I would think, that a supercharged engine would "need" ecu tuning long before a N/A combination.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

you will be running pretty lean with headers and no header tune not the smartest thing to do when your dropping ~4k for headers mid pipes and install ... just spend the extra 1K and protect that 30+k engine / optimize your gains

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    you will be running pretty lean with headers and no header tune not the smartest thing to do when your dropping ~4k for headers mid pipes and install ... just spend the extra 1K and protect that 30+k engine / optimize your gains
    Well said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    MHP All the way i dynoed 457rwhp header and tune on dyno jet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Here is My SL63 when it was Naturally Aspirated running with MBH headers. Check out the graph at the end. 465RWHP. Just to note, SL63's dyno less than C63's mod fo mod due to the MCT wet startup clutch sucking up more power.

You will love how the MBH will sound on your car, check this out:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Your sl63 sounds really good, and loud!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Your sl63 sounds really good, and loud!
    Thank youClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    Thank youClick here to enlarge
    X pipe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

X pipe?
    No. Straight H-Pipe from Caragraphic. I will be switching to a custom 3 Inch Xpipe, it will put more power down for me right now
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

No. Straight H-Pipe from Caragraphic. I will be switching to a custom 3 Inch Xpipe, it will put more power down for me right now
    Man i recently bought the mbh setup for my c63 coupe and have been debating the x or hpipe connector .. in my experience the h gives a better sound as the x pipe smoothens the sound out. is it that big of a performance advantage with the X?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Xpipe will indeed reduce the loud sound tone a bit like you stated, but you will put down more power to the wheels. The M156 responds better with the Xpipe. You will gain about 10-12 whp and 8-10 rwtq switching to an Xpipe from Hpipe. Especially in my case, Supercharged engine, The Hpipe is now a restriction. Mine also retains the stock diameter, which is 2.75. Therefore, I will be switching it to 3 inch. I'll come out with dynosheets and show you when its all done
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Xpipe will indeed reduce the loud sound tone a bit like you stated, but you will put down more power to the wheels. The M156 responds better with the Xpipe. You will gain about 10-12 whp and 8-10 rwtq switching to an Xpipe from Hpipe. Especially in my case, Supercharged engine, The Hpipe is now a restriction. Mine also retains the stock diameter, which is 2.75. Therefore, I will be switching it to 3 inch. I'll come out with dynosheets and show you when its all done
    Yes i fully expect the sound to be toned down with the pulses colliding and canceling each other out in the x pipe. Have you ever heard or been in a m156 car with headers and x pipe? does the car still snap crackle and pop? I can take the toned down sound of the x pipe but i hope it doesn't cancel out all the pops from the exhaust its probably one of my favorite things about the car/engine. Wow i was not aware that the x pipe worked so well for our engines thats news to me ! 10+ whp and wtq is nothing to sneeze at i guess its worth it for the sound trade off these are performance cars first and foremost .. i am also running the stock 2.5 (c63 is smaller than sl63) ... Good luck with the upcoming work brother 60-130 in 6.86 is blazing fast for an sl63 it will be interesting to see after your exhaust changes i will be waiting for your results as i have a few weeks before i will begin installation

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes i fully expect the sound to be toned down with the pulses colliding and canceling each other out in the x pipe. Have you ever heard or been in a m156 car with headers and x pipe? does the car still snap crackle and pop? I can take the toned down sound of the x pipe but i hope it doesn't cancel out all the pops from the exhaust its probably one of my favorite things about the car/engine. Wow i was not aware that the x pipe worked so well for our engines thats news to me ! 10+ whp and wtq is nothing to sneeze at i guess its worth it for the sound trade off these are performance cars first and foremost .. i am also running the stock 2.5 (c63 is smaller than sl63) ... Good luck with the upcoming work brother 60-130 in 6.86 is blazing fast for an sl63 it will be interesting to see after your exhaust changes i will be waiting for your results as i have a few weeks before i will begin installation
    Thank you. I'll make a thread about it pretty soon with data and results.

Yes I had a C63 with Supersprint Headers + Xpipe. Dont worry
    the pops will still be there along with the Engine 63 defenition.Click here to enlarge

I also drove @Sirex63 Weistec C63 having a full 3inch Headers + Xpipe and the Pops were also present + a very loud tone
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I recommend Caragraphic Headers with PP-Performance matched tune. So far I have beaten every NA M156 that I came across. @Jacob502 knows my car very well and drove, he can confirmClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

You hit on the problem, everyone is just trying to sell sell sell.

To be honest, I don't think there is going to be a huge difference. You get a nice long tube setup and tune and is the difference going to be between the other long tube header designs really? I've seen people make ridiculous 40 whp claims, come on.

You want real power? Get a blower. Until then I say you get the exhaust that offers you the value you want with the quality you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast