Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire advice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Tire advice

I just pulled the trigger on a great set of wheelsClick here to enlarge

Since I was parting the car out, and then decided to keep it, I did end up selling my Morr's so the car will have a new look this summer.

I need some advice on tires. The wheels I bought are 19's, so fitment will be 235/35/19 front and rear will be 265/30/19.

My car is not used on the track and only driven during warm months, it's not my daily driver. I'm looking for a tire that is great performing in warm and wet weather, long tread life, quiet, affordable, and lightweight.

I saw the Continental extreme contact dw's got good reviews on tire rack and are around $860 for all 4. The Michelon pilot super sports are $1066 after rebate on tire rack...

What else should I consider? I had hankook v12's but didn't like them very much.

Also, if anyone can recommend any good sites besides tire rack, that would be great.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The Pilot Super Sports seem to be the way to go. I just ordered a set myself, in standard 225 and 255 19" sizes though (have to pass technical inspection here with those tires...).

Cheers,

Christian
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I like DWs - they aren't the stickiest tire in the world, but have excellent durability. I used to chew up tires like it was nobody's business, now it's much better. I would go with the DWs... PSS are nice, but not worth the difference in dollars - especially for what you are using it for - just my two cents.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    The Pilot Super Sports seem to be the way to go. I just ordered a set myself, in standard 225 and 255 19" sizes though (have to pass technical inspection here with those tires...).

Cheers,

Christian
    Are you sure those must be the EXACT widths? The worst I've heard so far is +/- 20mm. I believe your winter tire spec is 225 and if you appear there with 235 winters in the rear it would be funny if they say 235 is too wide, LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Have you ever ridden on 30 series tires before?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Have you ever ridden on 30 series tires before?
    Yes, it's standard fitment for rear 19 inch tires on a 335 coupe. I've owned two sets of wheels so far with them and it's fine. 35 series rub.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I just switched back from my wintersetup to my summer wheels with PSS.
    I'm in love with my car again. I love my PSSs.
    They hook AND corner.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure those must be the EXACT widths? The worst I've heard so far is +/- 20mm. I believe your winter tire spec is 225 and if you appear there with 235 winters in the rear it would be funny if they say 235 is too wide, LOL
    Yep, here in Luxembourg I have to stick with the exact tire widths specified by BMW. Otherwise I'd have to get them specially aggregated by the technical control station, which is a mess. So I just stay keep factory specs as my DD setup.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Which year 3 series? I thought the F30 with staggered 19's comes with 225/40/19 (front) and 255/35/19 (rear) and the stock 18 square setup is 225/45/18.

I'll have to ask for recommendations for my Morrs myself. I've got 9" fronts and 10" rears for the 19's on order. 265 for sure on the rear but I was thinking 265/35/19 tires in an effort to keep the same height as my stock 18s. I was wondering if 265/40/19 would fit even. I think that' 1" taller than stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Kumho ecsta spt for me non runflats. Long treadwear, and handles well for a DD. Cheap too compared to all others.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tdizzle00 Click here to enlarge
    Which year 3 series? I thought the F30 with staggered 19's comes with 225/40/19 (front) and 255/35/19 (rear) and the stock 18 square setup is 225/45/18.

I'll have to ask for recommendations for my Morrs myself. I've got 9" fronts and 10" rears for the 19's on order. 265 for sure on the rear but I was thinking 265/35/19 tires in an effort to keep the same height as my stock 18s. I was wondering if 265/40/19 would fit even. I think that' 1" taller than stock.
    Talk to Morr, they recommended a 30 series tire for me as do other companies with 19's on the 335, it will actually be taller than stock with a 35 from what I was told.... I just bought a set of BBS wheels and they recommended 265/30/19 as well...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Conti DWS, Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05, Hankook V12 are all good. But the Toyo R888 is the ultimate street tire
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Also, if anyone can recommend any good sites besides tire rack, that would be great.
    Go with our vendors....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Talk to Morr, they recommended a 30 series tire for me as do other companies with 19's on the 335, it will actually be taller than stock with a 35 from what I was told.... I just bought a set of BBS wheels and they recommended 265/30/19 as well...
    Will do.

I'm no expert by any means. I was basing my info off of a website that had conversions. It said the 265/30/19's were 25.3" tall which is shorter than the stock 225/45/18's I have currently which are 26". For reference it says 255/25/19's are 26" and 225/40/19's are 26.1" (which is the stock 19" staggered size I believe). 265/35/19 are 26.3" and 265/40/19 are 27.3".

I wanted to go with at least the same height if at all possible and the 265/30's are actually shorter than stock by almost an inch. I'm all for less gap in the wheel well if it will fit and not rub.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Go with our vendors....
    I will, just bought dp's from bms and forge dv's, bms oil catch can from modbargains. Which vendors sell tires?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I wanted to go with at least the same height if at all possible and the 265/30's are actually shorter than stock by almost an inch. I'm all for less gap in the wheel well if it will fit and not rub.
    Easiest website for tire calculator IMO is the one from Miata.net
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Will do.

I'm no expert by any means. I was basing my info off of a website that had conversions. It said the 265/30/19's were 25.3" tall which is shorter than the stock 225/45/18's I have currently which are 26". For reference it says 255/25/19's are 26" and 225/40/19's are 26.1" (which is the stock 19" staggered size I believe). 265/35/19 are 26.3" and 265/40/19 are 27.3".

Ok cool...looks like you've done some research

Here's a pick of my fitment, dropped on eibach sport springs
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    First things first, friends don't let friends buy Michelins, LOL

Okay, now with that being said, MANY times, take a look at these:

Dunlop Star specs
    Nitto Nt05s
    Nitto 555, longer life
    There is a new BFG Extreme summer tire on tirerack that looks promising, but pricey. Haven't seen them on the track yet.

PS: Long life and great traction are a myth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I will, just bought dp's from bms and forge dv's, bms oil catch can from modbargains. Which vendors sell tires?
    Pretty sure @3W Distributing does

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok cool...looks like you've done some research

Here's a pick of my fitment, dropped on eibach sport springs
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/attachmen...7&d=1349572232
    I love the shot in your sig, looks perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    First things first, friends don't let friends buy Michelins, LOL

Okay, now with that being said, MANY times, take a look at these:

Dunlop Star specs
    Nitto Nt05s
    Nitto 555, longer life
    There is a new BFG Extreme summer tire on tirerack that looks promising, but pricey. Haven't seen them on the track yet.

PS: Long life and great traction are a myth.
    I like my star specs, some say they are loud but so is my exhaust so whats it matter Click here to enlarge
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I love the shot in your sig, looks perfect.
    Here's a link to my thread....I've since sold the Morr's but they were a great wheel

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...pics-of-my-335
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I had the Conti DW on my 335i. They were great tires but wore a little quicker than the wear rating would suggest. They also had sidewalls a little soft for my tastes.

The M3 is rolling on Michelin PSS now and I've never driven on a better tire. It's comfortable, grippy, good in the wet, and wears excellently.

Both tires are great but for the price difference of a couple of tanks of gas, I'd go with the PSS all day every day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    I like my star specs, some say they are loud but so is my exhaust so whats it matter Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Guys a few things you need to know about tires:

1. Treadware is NOT usable across brands. If you compare one Goodyear to another it works. But One Kuhmoo to one Bridgestone is meaningless.

2. There is no holy grail for traction. What I mean is you can NOT go only be the treadware number here. But some REAL great tires are rated at 140. WHY, because this is what the SCCA requires to be able to race in street class, aka NON R tire rated.

My favorites have always been Star spec and Bridgestone 030 PP's, and guess what they have a 140 treadware. Yes you will NEVER see 10K out of them, but boy are they fun, LOL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast