Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll hop on your site some time this week and get that stuff ordered. I also have Velocity Motoring wheels. They had to be redone and the center is painted in gunmetal and the lip is polished. The whole wheel was cleared over. Is this buffer safe to use on the wheels as well? I've always done my best to maintain my car, but it's time to get more serious.
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Old Ride: 2007 Montego 335i 6MT 12.34@111

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The buffer is safe to use on the wheels, however because of it's shape it usually is not very practical to use it on the wheels. I would suggest cleaning them with a pH neutral cleaner like the Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner or P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner. Both are them are totally safe and gentle yet still effective cleaners. For protecting them apply a quality sealant like you would on your paint or get one just for the wheels like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So my DI Package with PorterCable is supposed to be here tomorrow. What pad should I use for the polish? My car has minor swirls and buffer marks...
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you for the order! It really depends on what products you are going to be using with it and the pads you selected. Let me know the specific names and colors of the pads you got and I'll provide a recommendation.

Greg @ DI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DetailedImage.com Click here to enlarge
    Thank you for the order! It really depends on what products you are going to be using with it and the pads you selected. Let me know the specific names and colors of the pads you got and I'll provide a recommendation.

Greg @ DI
    I ordered the "DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads", so whatever it comes with. I also ordered the blackfire wet diamond with polycharger sealant and the lake country blue fine finishing pad to apply it.

In between polishing and applying the sealant will I need to wipe the car down to remove residue? This is my first time using a buffer and don't really know what kind of residue levels they leave behind...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wizzle335 Click here to enlarge
    I ordered the "DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads", so whatever it comes with. I also ordered the blackfire wet diamond with polycharger sealant and the lake country blue fine finishing pad to apply it.

In between polishing and applying the sealant will I need to wipe the car down to remove residue? This is my first time using a buffer and don't really know what kind of residue levels they leave behind...
    Thank you for the purchase I greatly appreciate the support! You got an excellent combination of products that will produce top notch results. After I apply a polish to a whole panel I go back and hand remove the excess product by hand with a clean microfiber towel. The polish should leave nothing behind as nothing is bonding to the paint. The polish is only really working while it's being buffed into the paint. For the sealant I apply it and wait about 15 - 20 minutes before removing the excess product. A layer of it will bond with the clear coat and you can safely remove the excess with a microfiber towel when you are done. I usually use about 10x of our DI All Purpose Microfiber Towels for the job (DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel). Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

How do I dry the pads from waxing/polishing?

Also, I have a 5inch pad that came w/ the Random Orb Buffer, so I use the 5" counter weight, but for the 6.5Inch pad, is it ok to use the 6" weight?

Is it bad to just keep the 6" counter weight even when I use smaller diameter pads?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To dry the pads I sometimes spin them on a rotary buffer. If you don't have one wring it out by hand thoroughly. I usually leave them out in the sun or a warm area. After a couple of hours I'll wring them out again and repeat as needed.

I've used both counterweights with both pads sizes and I haven't noticed much of a difference at all. If you want to be safe I'd suggest always using what the mfg suggests but I've personally not seen a huge difference. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

well in terms of the vibration, it is definitely less w/ the larger of the counter weights, since the ROB is offset.

Thanks for the advice though! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about some serious bird crap?!? I had one hit me yesterday and couldn't clay it out... Even did a quick buff and it's still holding strong!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bird droppings can do some serious damage, it just depends on how far it has etched in the paint. If it didn't come off with a wash and clay it has likely at least lightly etched in to the clear coat. I would start off with a light cutting polish and use more aggressive ones as need be. If it's a medium to deep etching you may need the assistance of a buffer to get it out. If you need some product suggestions please let me know. Also if you need more recommendations please let me know specifically what products you have tried and if a buffer was involved (again specifically what buffer, speed and pads).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used my Porter Cable buffer with the speed on 4 I believe. I used the Meguiars Ultra Cut compound, but didn't very aggressive. Maybe I just need to get at it a little harder. I got hit by two more birds today!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^make sure you clean the bird crap asap! it can leave a mark if not taken care of promptly.

That's what the wax is there for, to help your paint against stuff like that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wiped as soon as I got a chance, but apparently this bird was eating batteries before he found my car. Sucks... Time for even more wax.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^worse comes to worse, check how much paint you have and go for a heavy cutting compound

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wizzle335 Click here to enlarge
    I used my Porter Cable buffer with the speed on 4 I believe. I used the Meguiars Ultra Cut compound, but didn't very aggressive. Maybe I just need to get at it a little harder. I got hit by two more birds today!
    The Megs M105 (Ultra cut compound) is a great product for this task. I highly recommend using it with an orange or cyan pad or possibly even more aggressive if it's not successful. For bird drop etching I would definitely turn it up to speed 6 and apply light to medium pressure to the buffer. You don't want to stop the pad but slowing it down a little bit will help you get maximum results. Also go nice and slow with lots of overlapping passes. I'd suggest trying this again and then let us know how that goes.

Greg @ DI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^Awesome advice Greg! I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

What is a good polish/cleaner for chrome wheels? My dad's IS350 has chrome rims and some of the dirt/brake dust only comes off w/ my finger nails Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would suggest a quality metal polish like the Optimum (OPT) Metal Polish. It should help remove the build ups and restore a nice shine! Upon completion you can protect your wheels with a sealant like you use on your paint or get a wheel specific product like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I've got the OPT, will try that tonight! Thanks for the info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

My waxing pads are a bit dirty...can I just throw them into the washer and leave them out to dry?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    My waxing pads are a bit dirty...can I just throw them into the washer and leave them out to dry?
    That's what I do...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Yes you can. Sometimes a washer and especially the dryer can make applicators fall apart so just monitor the results. Also don't mix them with other laundry to be safe. If you put the applicators in the dryer I would be careful not to over dry them and let them air dry after they are relatively dry to help preserve them. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DetailedImage.com Click here to enlarge
    Yes you can. Sometimes a washer and especially the dryer can make applicators fall apart so just monitor the results. Also don't mix them with other laundry to be safe. If you put the applicators in the dryer I would be careful not to over dry them and let them air dry after they are relatively dry to help preserve them. If you have any other questions please let me know.
    Been handwashing, but I think today I will try the washer with an air dry, I don't trust the dryer...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

i wiped bird $#@! off my trunk and it had sand in it. Click here to enlarge FML!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast