Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Arrow 2012 CLS550 M278 Resonator Delete with straight pipes

I just did one of the most quickly gratifying mods possible for my 2012 CLS 550 4 Matic. It now sounds legendary. It's not as nice as my friend's 997 turbo but it is still very good. It makes the car, that by accident the factory forgot to stick on its AMG logos, feel more like the AMG that it really is. The OEM exhaust sound was great and very satisfying at around the 1800-2300rpm range especially around driving around the city quickly accelerating. The new exhaust sound is just meaaaan from 2000 to 5000rpm range with gusps or thuds at the high end. It is definitely louder in S mode when engine braking but when in E mode the sound is very close to stock. This my friends is a quick and easy $159.00 in the Washington, DC area mod that you will not regret. Pics to follow with sound clips.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pics and sound clips?

Are you involved with this shop/mod?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xenuisalien Click here to enlarge
    This my friends is a quick and easy $159.00 in the Washington, DC area mod that you will not regret.
    Hey, if you're in the DC area, I'd love to hear it in person. Any chance of a meet-up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Hey, if you're in the DC area, I'd love to hear it in person. Any chance of a meet-up?
    bump @xenuisalien

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey friends, I'm not at all affiliated with the shop (they are called HPR racing in Glen Burnie, MD--excellent place). I could possibly do a meet up but am very busy with school at the moment, perhaps this summer? I will post a cold start up etc tomorrow afternoon...stay tuned. Also it sounds much better in "E" mode because the car shifts at lower RPMs and the engine/exhaust really pop. I am so happy with this simple mod. It has also gotten deeper since I got it done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey friends, I'm not at all affiliated with the shop (they are called HPR racing in Glen Burnie, MD--excellent place). I could possibly do a meet up but am very busy with school at the moment, perhaps this summer? I will post a cold start up etc tomorrow afternoon...stay tuned. Also it sounds much better in "E" mode because the car shifts at lower RPMs and the engine/exhaust really pop. I am so happy with this simple mod. It has also gotten deeper since I got it done.
    Video would be much appreciated.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Videos taken with a handheld iPhone 5 at around 8:00pm on a lovely windless 70 degree night in Maryland.

2012 CLS 550 4 matic resonator delete sunroof CLOSED
    This video really exemplifies the new growl in the 2000-3000rpm range (the sweet spot I reckon).

__________________________________________________ _____________________

2012 CLS 550 4matic resonator delete sunroof OPEN

Same stuff but with sunroof open. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound the exhaust makes when changing gears. My car honestly sounds best in E mode given the lower shifting points that are closer to the sweet spot.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

2012 CLS 550 4matic resonator delete sunroof OPEN
    This video shows how the car sounds the same as stock once past about 4000rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=j1O9dfXFBlE

Overall I have had the modification now for a little over 1 month and have put close to 2000miles on since then. It has made my car so much more fun to drive. In terms of performance--I haven't noticed a thing except for the placebo effect of having a louder exhaust note.

Last edited by xenuisalien; 04-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only negative I have noticed is that when idling and standing behind the vehicle, the exhaust sort of flutters anemically. Since the exhaust notes are not equalized, I posit that an H pipe would have been the best option in lieu of straight pipes. X pipes are probably the best for performance but are not as loud as I would have liked and the H pipe should technically equalize the exhaust notes thereby eliminating this flutter. BTW this is all cursory opinion from a med student with absolutely no understanding of internal combustion engines or exhaust systems. I will post a video soon that demonstrates this flutter "issue."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for posting the sound videos!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only negative I have noticed is that when idling and standing behind the vehicle, the exhaust sort of flutters anemically.
    Great sounds... I'm a fan of the resonator delete. I also agree with your assessment of the poor sound quality when standing behind the vehicle during a warm idle. Fortunately, I drive from the front... so it really doesn't bother me very much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I did a hardwire of a V1...very easy if you want to know how let me know!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will this pass state inspection? I'm in VA. Does it still idle rough?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rgolden90 Click here to enlarge
    Will this pass state inspection? I'm in VA. Does it still idle rough?
    Resonator delete is not cat delete so you should be fine. Straight pipes won't pass emissions testing though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Resonator delete is not cat delete so you should be fine. Straight pipes won't pass emissions testing though.
    If I don't install the straight pipes but remove the resonator, will I still get the loud exhaust sound? What about the fluttering exhaust noise at idle? How do I eliminate that fluttering?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I don't install the straight pipes but remove the resonator, will I still get the loud exhaust sound? What about the fluttering exhaust noise at idle? How do I eliminate that fluttering?
    I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the idle.

If you don't install straight pipes you won't get the straight pipes sound. There is a video here somewhere of just the resonator delete if you want to hear what that sounds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the idle.

If you don't install straight pipes you won't get the straight pipes sound. There is a video here somewhere of just the resonator delete if you want to hear what that sounds.
    Xenuisalien explained it in detail in post #8 above within this thread. I have a youtube link of this fluttering at idle but I need to wait another day to post it since I'm a new user here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Xenuisalien explained it in detail in post #8 above within this thread. I have a youtube link of this fluttering at idle but I need to wait another day to post it since I'm a new user here.
    You have enough rep to post it now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You have enough rep to post it now.
    I receive an error that I need to be a member for one day. No problem. I sent you it via a private message. Don't know if it went through or not. If so, I'll post it tomorrow or you can look it up on Youtube.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I receive an error that I need to be a member for one day. No problem. I sent you it via a private message. Don't know if it went through or not. If so, I'll post it tomorrow or you can look it up on Youtube.

Type "2012 CLS downpipe" within Youtube's search engine field. It should be the 5th posting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You did. I responded back that it deserves its own thread. Hope mine went through as well!

Also hope you can post links now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you help out with this I'm trying to figure how to hardwire my CLS63. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mapkos13 Click here to enlarge
    Can you help out with this I'm trying to figure how to hardwire my CLS63. Thanks
    Hardwire what?

Maybe @xenuisalien can help