Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

BMW 1M Coupe vs BMW M6 Coupe from a rolling start and from standstill on wet track

Both cars presumably not modified.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I guess that's what's suppose to happen!
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Seems like the 1m had a issue or needs a driver mod, I thought it would be closer, considering the 1m isn't that far off a e9x m3
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

m6 sounds good
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would like to see this in dry weather.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

It's a F13 M6. So, no it shouldn't be close.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Ok first off, who races in the rain?

Second. Its a 1M, with like 300whp, against the M6 with like 600whp..

The m6 sound's so beautiful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Ok first off, who races in the rain?
    Is this a serious question? They agreed to race and it happened to rain. Would you have chickened out just because it happened to rain? LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

They are both rear wheel drive cars, who cares if it rains? Even with the hp/weight ratio, I thought it would be closer
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Something is up with these M6/M5's on m5board videos in general, but the 1M is expected to get walked nicely in stock form.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    They are both rear wheel drive cars, who cares if it rains? Even with the hp/weight ratio, I thought it would be closer
    One car has 340 HP and the other has 560 HP. Why would you think it should be closer than this? The M6 runs 0-160 km/h in about 7.6 seconds, while the 1M is around 10s flat... That's a HUGE difference. Unless the 1M is heavily tuned, this makes sense to me considering they were accelerating in the video for about 16 seconds on the roll, and about 15 seconds on the launch...

The weight doesn't affect much at high speeds, it's more power - and the M6 has a ton more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    One car has 340 HP and the other has 560 HP. Why would you think it should be closer than this? The M6 runs 0-160 km/h in about 7.6 seconds, while the 1M is around 10s flat... That's a HUGE difference. Unless the 1M is heavily tuned, this makes sense to me considering they were accelerating in the video for about 16 seconds on the roll, and about 15 seconds on the launch...

The weight doesn't affect much at high speeds, it's more power - and the M6 has a ton more.
    I dunno I guess the added distance could make sense....I'm not really finding 0-160km/h figures but...

0-100km/h for the f13 m6 is 4.2 sec and the 1m is 4.9 according to BMW, not that drastic
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I dunno I guess the added distance could make sense....I'm not really finding 0-160km/h figures but...

0-100km/h for the f13 m6 is 4.2 sec and the 1m is 4.9 according to BMW, not that drastic
    Yeah, that's the problem when looking at high powered cars. Yesteryear, when cars that had 300HP stock were considered "fast" from the showroom floor, 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) times would make sense. It actually drives me nuts that magazines tout this number to mean anything these days, as it's *_HUGELY_* (emphasis) Click here to enlarge traction dependent with today's cars - especially in the high end category. In other words, I don't understand why the 0-100 isn't the new 0-60 - it's much more indicative of real world performance.

When I used to look at the E46 M3, and compare it's 0-60 time to other similarly powered cars (350z, EVO, STi, etc.) - I thought "meh, nothing special". Only after driving the car - and realizing the car was SO much faster than my G35 on the highway (nearly 4 seconds faster to 100) - was when I stopped caring about 0-60... That was with a 333 HP car. A 333 HP M3 is a full second faster than a 300 HP EVO (stock for stock), yet the 0-60 time on the EVO is faster... Which one is the faster car? Of course it's the M3 being that much faster to 100 - but looking at 0-60 times, hard to tell. IMO, this is the cause of countless forum wars, and I blame the magazines. Click here to enlarge

Here are the two sources used for the 0-100 MPH/0-160 km/h times:

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_1er_m_coupe.html
    http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m6_2012.html

The sources for those times are verified by reference supposedly.

The two numbers I used were just from google results - I think they were 10.1 and 7.6 (1M and M6 respective)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yeah, that's the problem when looking at high powered cars. Yesteryear, when cars that had 300HP stock were considered "fast" from the showroom floor, 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) times would make sense. It actually drives me nuts that magazines tout this number to mean anything these days, as it's *_HUGELY_* (emphasis) Click here to enlarge traction dependent with today's cars - especially in the high end category. In other words, I don't understand why the 0-100 isn't the new 0-60 - it's much more indicative of real world performance.

When I used to look at the E46 M3, and compare it's 0-60 time to other similarly powered cars (350z, EVO, STi, etc.) - I thought "meh, nothing special". Only after driving the car - and realizing the car was SO much faster than my G35 on the highway (nearly 4 seconds faster to 100) - was when I stopped caring about 0-60... That was with a 333 HP car. A 333 HP M3 is a full second faster than a 300 HP EVO (stock for stock), yet the 0-60 time on the EVO is faster... Which one is the faster car? Of course it's the M3 being that much faster to 100 - but looking at 0-60 times, hard to tell. IMO, this is the cause of countless forum wars, and I blame the magazines. Click here to enlarge

Here are the two sources used for the 0-100 MPH/0-160 km/h times:

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_1er_m_coupe.html
    http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m6_2012.html

The sources for those times are verified by reference supposedly.

The two numbers I used were just from google results - I think they were 10.1 and 7.6 (1M and M6 respective)
    EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It's not that I only care about 0-60, it's just hard to find other reliable stats! But yes, the m6 should be a highway monster!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

And just to put the speed and distance those two cars would be at into perspective - if the M6 is going 100 MPH after 7.6 seconds, and the 1M after 10s - that's nearly 3 full seconds that the M6 was traveling OVER 100 MPH before the 1M even reached it. That's incredible if you think about it like this.

The new M6 is seriously fast - I don't think it's a proper M car, but it's an insanely quick highway roller. I am not sure what's up with these "in the rain" videos, but check it out when compared to a 458 Italia:

Of course the 458 is faster, but you can see just how fast the M6 is at high speed - again, weight doesn't affect acceleration at this speed much, you aren't accelerating nearly as hard when compared to acceleration off the line (where weight would matter more). The M6 power curve is ridiculous - compared to a 335i, a 1M, or even a M3, they aren't even in the same league as-is from the factory. Football fields of distance difference at those speeds is completely within reason.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

It's not that I only care about 0-60, it's just hard to find other reliable stats! But yes, the m6 should be a highway monster!
    Oh, no - I didn't mean that at all... I was just saying I personally hate 0-60, because I think it causes confusion as to how fast a car really is... That's all I meant, I wasn't directing anything at you besides the first two sentences... Sorry about that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Something is up with these M6/M5's on m5board videos in general, but the 1M is expected to get walked nicely in stock form.
    Exactly but I'm sick of scratching my head over their vids. I want to kick Gustav in his nuts. If he has them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

And just to put the speed and distance those two cars would be at into perspective - if the M6 is going 100 MPH after 7.6 seconds, and the 1M after 10s - that's nearly 3 full seconds that the M6 was traveling OVER 100 MPH before the 1M even reached it. That's incredible if you think about it like this.

The new M6 is seriously fast - I don't think it's a proper M car, but it's an insanely quick highway roller. I am not sure what's up with these "in the rain" videos, but check it out when compared to a 458 Italia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=123DDNmaFeg

Of course the 458 is faster, but you can see just how fast the M6 is at high speed - again, weight doesn't affect acceleration at this speed much, you aren't accelerating nearly as hard when compared to acceleration off the line (where weight would matter more). The M6 power curve is ridiculous - compared to a 335i, a 1M, or even a M3, they aren't even in the same league as-is from the factory. Football fields of distance difference at those speeds is completely within reason.

Cheers.
    That's a nonsense race the 458 hesitates on the start and then has to catch up. It should outlaunch the M6 every single time.

This drag race in the rain crap is a waste of time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

In the rain... LOL