Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Confused about upgrades available...

Ok, I keep reading about all these power pipes, H-pipes, and LTH and all that. I'm confused as to what goes where and what does what. I know some are mainly for power and some are for sound, I just can't seem to get it straight. Could someone clarify? Basically explain the upgrades from the engine back, haha. I know it seems like a lot, but a quick clarification so I can either confirm my knowledge or correct it. I keep hearing that I should go LTH + tune until I get the SC...so I'm just making sure I'm looking at the right things and just curious as to what else there is. ARGH, just teach me everything, W204 C63 Masters! haha thanks guys.
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the headers are where you are going to pick up the most power due to the factory design. They obviously bolt right up to you motor so have a big effect.

The H-pipe will mostly offer sound unless it deletes cat. I'm not sure on the cat setup on the C63 for the stock exhaust.

A rear section will mostly just change sound which is basically just a muffler.

So yes, headers a tune are a great idea for power if that is what you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does that do anything to the legality of the vehicle?

Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    Does that do anything to the legality of the vehicle?
    If you ditch all cats you are likely no longer emissions compliant. There are likely two sets of cats so just keep the downstream ones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah ok...sounds good thanks, Stick!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah ok...sounds good thanks, Stick!
    Whose headers and tune are you going to go with?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still waiting for Weistec to come out with a HH tuner but what I've been reading leads me to MHP or MBH, I'm scared to go with a few of the lower cost brands (Cargraphics). I would like to research more, but my exam schedule is KILLING me right now. If I don't go Weistec for tune I'll probably go Eurocharged mainly because they have always and quickly responded to my questions on here and been really cool to me. 2nd alternative would be OE...I'm still not set on anything, just looking around for the best and least trouble combo. I know Dad loves his MHP and a lot of people have said they get more HP out of MHP headers and a tune...so I think I'm leaning towards that but it's about 4.5-5k for MHP headers, no?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know Dad loves his MHP
    There's a reason for that, he's their marketing machine since they are kicked out of everywhere.

and a lot of people have said they get more HP out of MHP headers and a tune...so I think I'm leaning towards that but it's about 4.5-5k for MHP headers, no?
    Don't buy that hype, it's just all stuff resold from other people with a markup.

Do your research on this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah ok...well after Tuesday, I'll spend some real time rereading some older threads and also looking for dyno's and stuff...I'd really like to stick with Weistec, mainly because I plan on getting the SC from them and paying for a tune setup from someone else when I would rebuy a tune from them for the SC seems like a waste to me. We'll see what goes on, I'll probably do it in two parts (tune, then LTH) just so I can do a little more research and plan things out further than just these two upgrades. Thanks again, Stick.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah ok...well after Tuesday, I'll spend some real time rereading some older threads and also looking for dyno's and stuff...I'd really like to stick with Weistec, mainly because I plan on getting the SC from them and paying for a tune setup from someone else when I would rebuy a tune from them for the SC seems like a waste to me. We'll see what goes on, I'll probably do it in two parts (tune, then LTH) just so I can do a little more research and plan things out further than just these two upgrades. Thanks again, Stick.
    Just when you're ready go ahead and post and we'll go over the options available for you. Trust me, I want you to have the best just as I would want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just when you're ready go ahead and post and we'll go over the options available for you. Trust me, I want you to have the best just as I would want.
    And that's why I come here and trust you, and the other regulars here! This forum is hands down the best, fairest, and least dictated forum I've ever used. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And that's why I come here and trust you, and the other regulars here! This forum is hands down the best, fairest, and least dictated forum I've ever used. Click here to enlarge
    AMEN

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Little bit of info for you too. Your C63 has two sets of cats, of course, the primaries are the most constrictive usually what gets replaced by long tube headers off the manifold. This will net you the most gain as Sticky said. Your secondary cats, which are located between your resonator and primary cat, are less constrictive and more free flowing. If you remove your secondary cats (typically this is where most people institute an H-pipe or x-pipe), and remove your primaries, you will lose a bit of back pressure and lose some torque but gain in horsepower.

I put my secondary cats back on and kept my resonator on. When I had all of that removed my car was very loud and had quite a bit of rasp to it. No doubt it pulled VERY hard up top, but seemed to stumble a bit in the low RPMs when I was catless. I have found a happy medium with my setup.

Also, here is some more information about who's headers are available http://benzboost.com/showthread.php?...594#post385594

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johnnyblaze Click here to enlarge
    Little bit of info for you too. Your C63 has two sets of cats, of course, the primaries are the most constrictive usually what gets replaced by long tube headers off the manifold. This will net you the most gain as Sticky said. Your secondary cats, which are located between your resonator and primary cat, are less constrictive and more free flowing. If you remove your secondary cats (typically this is where most people institute an H-pipe or x-pipe), and remove your primaries, you will lose a bit of back pressure and lose some torque but gain in horsepower.

I put my secondary cats back on and kept my resonator on. When I had all of that removed my car was very loud and had quite a bit of rasp to it. No doubt it pulled VERY hard up top, but seemed to stumble a bit in the low RPMs when I was catless. I have found a happy medium with my setup.

Also, here is some more information about who's headers are available http://benzboost.com/showthread.php?...594#post385594
    Great post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool, thanks. That actually helped me out a lot. I also did a little bit of Google-Fu and found some more info. I can't seem to find any American Racing Headers for sale, and I can't seem to find any vendors for Cargraphic ones. I'm leaning towards MHP because that's the most talked about and I feel like it has the best reputation so far (at least from what I can tell) and I went with more expensive and better quality DPs on my E60 and didn't regret it one bit. I'll just keep dig more and more and figure out what the differences are and what I want. I know from your post, @johnnyblaze, that I definitely want to keep my secondary and resonators. I already draw enough attention from cops here in MS with my car, and being a young Asian kid. I also don't want to have to deal with not being able to pass emissions tests. I have to debate the timing on the purchase, because I don't trust anyone here in MS to do the work (unless someone can vouch for a shop near here). So if I wait to purchase until I move back to NC, it'll most likely be around July. We'll see though, I have plenty of time to figure something out. Hopefully @Weistec will have come out with a HH tune by then!!! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

If you cant wait for weistec to release the HH tuner I believe @Jake@Eurocharged.com has a hand held tuning option?
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eurocharged and OETuning have hand held tuners. They both can give you a tune for your car. They will also give you a retune if you do decide to get Long Tube headers. Personally, I went with my BenzWorks long tube headers because Serge and his team at Benzworks are right down the street from my house (and Jeremy at OETuning just happened to be tuning at Benzworks that day). Plus he gave me a great deal on them with installation. His customer service is top notch also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm leaning towards MHP because that's the most talked about and I feel like it has the best reputation so far (at least from what I can tell) and I went with more expensive and better quality DPs on my E60 and didn't regret it one bit.
    Trust me when I say internet hype from guys who get parts at a discount.

And the times are inflated as they are run in negative DA, don't buy into it. The reputation is pretty bad for the company actually.

There is a header thread as posted with all the options, take a look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BenzWorks long tube headers because Serge and his team at Benzworks are right down the street from my house
    Where are they located?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Huntington Beach CA, near Goldenwest College.

http://benz-works.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Huntington Beach CA, near Goldenwest College.

http://benz-works.com/
    Thank you, I might need to stop by.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have any before and after dynos with the tune/LTH? I don't know how much of a difference there is between different LTH's but it would be nice to see! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Headers and tune and your good to go! The car is a completely different monster.

Is andy even still in business?

One thing we always stress is the post sale support as well. Sure anyone can sell ya a tune, but how available are they once you need a retune or have any issues?
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@Eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge

Is andy even still in business?
    God, let's hope not
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Do you have any before and after dynos with the tune/LTH? I don't know how much of a difference there is between different LTH's but it would be nice to see! Click here to enlarge
    People are seeing 30-40whp with Long Tube headers. Add in the needed tune from a good supporting vendor, you may see a bit more on top of that. There are people on the boards, mbworld etc, that have claimed nearly 55-70whp gains from both combined. Its the best mod for the M156 engine hands down. Well beside a Weistec Supercharger Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast