Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Will it be possible to retrofit the SLS Black Series M159 valvetrain/cams onto the standard M159 in the SLS AMG?

Just doing a little brainstorming and I'm not sure who will be able to answer this.

The gains on the SLS Black Series don't come from raised compression or new heads. It's the valvetrain, specifically the 8000 rpm redline up from 7200/7300 and the cams. So, will one be able to get these parts to work on the standard SLS M159?

I would figure the transmission software would be a roadblock but perhaps the factory black series software can be downloaded in so the higher rev limit will be possible.

The SLS is badass as sits and with a blower amazing. But imagine it with another 800 rpm to play with and a much stronger top end. Some serious, serious, power potential mixing the best of both world's. It would be like an M top end but with the displacement of an AMG. Win-win.

The problem I see is I don't think anyone got the M159 cams working in the M156. But maybe M159 Black Series to standard M159 is easier. Of course the valvesprings and probably the valves themselves which are likely lighter will be necessary too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just doing a little brainstorming and I'm not sure who will be able to answer this.

The gains on the SLS Black Series don't come from raised compression or new heads. It's the valvetrain, specifically the 8000 rpm redline up from 7200/7300 and the cams. So, will one be able to get these parts to work on the standard SLS M159?

I would figure the transmission software would be a roadblock but perhaps the factory black series software can be downloaded in so the higher rev limit will be possible.

The SLS is badass as sits and with a blower amazing. But imagine it with another 800 rpm to play with and a much stronger top end. Some serious, serious, power potential mixing the best of both world's. It would be like an M top end but with the displacement of an AMG. Win-win.

The problem I see is I don't think anyone got the M159 cams working in the M156. But maybe M159 Black Series to standard M159 is easier. Of course the valvesprings and probably the valves themselves which are likely lighter will be necessary too.
    Talk to Steve, he will have your answer.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Just imagine an SLS BS with a Weistec 3.0L blower Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    Just imagine an SLS BS with a Weistec 3.0L blower Click here to enlarge
    That's what I'm trying to imagine just without the Black Series price.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    Talk to Steve, he will have your answer.
    I'll ask him about it. Thanks for the reminder, I was supposed to send an e-mail anyway to discuss a couple things.