Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    Rep Points
    132.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    There are so many great schools out there; I really wouldn't worry too much about where you end up.
    I agree with this line 100%. For undergrad, go to whatever school will give you the most money, in an area that you think is cool to live. While you're there focus on keeping a decent gpa(3.2 or higher) and getting real experience through internships, apprenticeships, entrepreneurial work in your field or some type of co-op job close to the field where you want to work long term.

    Once you've done that and figured out what you really like/want to do(or made money doing it), then start paying attention to the name on the outside of the graduate school's walls.
    Last edited by Ken_C; 01-25-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: $$$

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Applying to these (order from current top choice to last choice) / University Website:
    1) Columbia in NYC / http://www.columbia.edu/
    2) Cornell University / http://www.cornell.edu/
    3) Carnegie Mellon / http://www.cmu.edu/index.shtml
    4) Rice University / http://www.rice.edu/
    5) Washington University in St. Lois / http://wustl.edu/
    6) Geogia Tech / http://www.gatech.edu/
    7) Standford / http://www.stanford.edu/ '
    8) (ill add more later when i find my list.... lol)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Im not sure of what you do (besides this awesome forum Click here to enlarge ), but i want to work on wallstreet (i work for a UBS broker now, as his assitant). I doubt i can get there without college.
    I finished my undergrad in 2011 & here's my recommendation:
    • Overnight visit at every school you're seriously considering -- It's great & all if the school has a quality reputation, but if you hate the student popular and don't mesh with other people, you're gonna be miserable the next 4 years
    • Make sure that the school has a quality business program. I'm shocked that if you're considering Columbia, that you're not looking at UPenn & the Wharton Business School. While you can, look into which schools have quality business programs & what makes them so special (highly qualified professors, specific courses they offer, business-related labs, alumni/college networking, etc)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Hey BimmerBoost! Im coming to you all for information and ideas about college. I dont have many people to talk to about this (my school advisers dont have first-hand info...), and E90Post is full of r-tards so im coming to you all Click here to enlarge Im seeking experiences and opinions...

    Current plans:
    As it stands, i am hoping to major in either mechanical engineering or finance. Im thinking undergrad = engineering, graduate = finance. Im a junior now, but applications are not too far away.

    Applying to these (order from current top choice to last choice) / University Website:
    1) Columbia in NYC / http://www.columbia.edu/
    2) Cornell University / http://www.cornell.edu/
    3) Carnegie Mellon / http://www.cmu.edu/index.shtml
    4) Rice University / http://www.rice.edu/
    5) Washington University in St. Lois / http://wustl.edu/
    6) Geogia Tech / http://www.gatech.edu/
    7) Standford / http://www.stanford.edu/ '
    8) (ill add more later when i find my list.... lol)

    Backups: UCF/UF/FSU
    These are basically a given.

    Grades:
    As it stands, my SAT/GPA are in the middle 50% of Columbia's admissions (the hardest on the list), and well above Georgia Techs admissions. Ill also be applying to UCF as a huge back-up + in-state tuition handouts. I do not have legacy at any of these schools, fyi.

    Tuition:
    While my father hates the price tag, lets assume that i can afford any of these colleges (my sister is currently at UVA which isnt cheap out of state....). Take $ out of the equation for now (since all of the besides Georgia/UCF are relatively expensive). I plan on repaying my tuition in full to him eventually, but thats another story for another day.

    My Question:
    Has anyone on BB gone to any of the above schools within the last 10 years or so? Anyone have a family member/friend that has gone to one of the above? Im seeking information on the experience of the school itself, the classes, social life, dorms, city life, anything. Ill be visiting NYC soon (hopefully) to take a look at Columbia/Cornell and possibly Carnegie Mellon.


    Thanks!
    -E
    If you are going to school for ANY type of Engineering, check out Purdue University. It's one of the best schools in the world for this.

    https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/...gures/Rankings

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago Chat Thread
    Posts
    2,903
    Rep Points
    3.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    If you are going to school for ANY type of Engineering, check out Purdue University. It's one of the best schools in the world for this.

    https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/...gures/Rankings
    Yet the clock tower designed by the engineering school is crooked. Click here to enlarge

    (did a year of business at PU myself. Breakfast club FTW)

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,081
    Rep Points
    2,121.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Stanford, if you can get in. I went to University of washington, but Stanford would have been a top 3 choice if I could have gotten in.

    Seriously.

    go study now.

    Why?

    1. Stanford has the sexiest girls.
    2. They are in a awesome location
    3. Its known as a great academic school
    4. They have good sports teams, which makes life around campus, and people around campus a lot more fun (in my experience)
    5. Stanford has the sexiest girls.




  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Very true. Now i just need to convince my father into letting me go visit some others. I can pay for the trips myself, but i doubt my mother would let me. What ive learned from my sisters experience, is that theres a lot of factors that i need to take into account. Like dorms, one of my pet peeves. Her dorm room is literally 12' x 16' and fits two girls. I couldnt do that lol
    Tell your dad you really want to consider Stanford and some other schools in California and you need some days to make up your mind because it's such a huge decision and you want to make him proud blah blah blah and have a Cali vacation on his dime. If you're going to be working on Wall Street you better get used to manipulating financial situations to your advantage.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bdtsulev Click here to enlarge
    You could always do graduate work at schools like yale or Stanford down the road if you wanted. From what I understand, their graduate programs offer a far better environment than their undergraduate programs
    This is good advice. Very good advice.

    Undergrad you want to be somewhere comfortable and fun.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    Some schools have weird dorm policies
    Tell me about it... No alcohol allowed and girls had to be out of boys rooms by 1 and vice versa. So lame.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Overnight visit at every school you're seriously considering
    Good advice. Overnight visit at a sorority preferably.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    5. Stanford has the sexiest girls.
    And they are usually from rich families. Bag one and you don't even have to do well.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    855
    Rep Points
    188.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    For Undergrad, easily University of Illinois.

    #1 Party School by salary potential:
    http://www.payscale.com/college-sala.../party-schools

    #5 Undergrad Engineering program:
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ring-doctorate

    #4 Party School for 2013:
    http://www.fastweb.com/student-life/...of-2013?page=7

    Public school, pretty cheap for out of state, no need to spend money on a private school for undergrad if you are going to grad school. For a graduate degree in Finance I think U Penn is a no brainer.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seth Click here to enlarge
    Yet the clock tower designed by the engineering school is crooked. Click here to enlarge

    (did a year of business at PU myself. Breakfast club FTW)

    LOL - Breakfast club is awesome... Are you serious about the clock tower? I never heard this before... Click here to enlarge

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago Chat Thread
    Posts
    2,903
    Rep Points
    3.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Click here to enlarge
    For Undergrad, easily University of Illinois.

    #1 Party School by salary potential:
    http://www.payscale.com/college-sala.../party-schools

    #5 Undergrad Engineering program:
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ring-doctorate

    #4 Party School for 2013:
    http://www.fastweb.com/student-life/...of-2013?page=7

    Public school, pretty cheap for out of state, no need to spend money on a private school for undergrad if you are going to grad school. For a graduate degree in Finance I think U Penn is a no brainer.
    U damned biased Illini...

    I will say engineering is top notch though.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago Chat Thread
    Posts
    2,903
    Rep Points
    3.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    LOL - Breakfast club is awesome... Are you serious about the clock tower? I never heard this before... Click here to enlarge
    Yup dead serious. If you stand in front of it you can tell its a few degrees off kilter.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    747
    Rep Points
    698.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I agree with a lot of the previous posters, you should go to the schools and try to get a feel for it. I went to UNC (damn your sister haha jk), but I was initially kind of upset I ended up there. I love it now though and I know that's where I was supposed to go to school. UNC has a decent B. school and an ok engineering program I believe. I'm applying to dental schools and the one piece of advice I can give you is that unless you really work hard to differentiate yourself in undergrad, it's more impressive to go to a graduate program and do well there. Also your chances are much higher because you're already more qualified than any applicant that just came out of undergrad. I have family members on different admissions boards and their advice to me after I didn't get it right out of undergrad was to do a good master's program. I haven't been accepted yet, but I have been hearing back quite a bit from dental schools and I'm only done with my 1st semester in my graduate program. I think the biggest piece of advice anyone can give you is to set yourself up for success. No matter what the school is known for or how well ranked a certain school's engineering department is, if the school is not a good fit for you (classroom size, teaching style, etc.), it'll be tough to succeed. Think of how you work best and then look at the schools that you listed and eliminate the ones that don't fit. Do you like a more traditional university or do you want to attend a liberal arts university? Do you have to have a name? Also if you really want to get into a great program after undergrad, sometimes it's better to be top at a lesser known university than it is to be mid-pack at an elite school.

    There are TONS of factors when looking into stuff like this. If I could do it again, as much as it pains me to say, I would probably stay away from UNC. I loved it too much. The women were beautiful, the alcohol was easy to find, and the basketball was championship level so I never studied, although I came out pretty well. Everyone here can give you advice, but until you go and you experience the life a little bit, you'll never know. I wish you the best of luck though...also one thing too is check to see if they have an auto club, you're obviously into cars. If they don't you can work on starting one and working with the area or state auto club at sponsoring events. Starting or leading a club looks AWESOME on your application. Ok my mind wandered enough...time to go back to studying... XP Good luck again man, and have fun...and study...but also have fun lol
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

    Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

    Click here to enlarge

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    loved it too much. The women were beautiful, the alcohol was easy to find,
    Ya my school had no alcohol but had the beautiful women. What a waste.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    755
    Rep Points
    861.8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Just realized that there were more replies to this thread, i need to read it again hold on lol
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    755
    Rep Points
    861.8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    I agree with a lot of the previous posters, you should go to the schools and try to get a feel for it. I went to UNC (damn your sister haha jk), but I was initially kind of upset I ended up there. I love it now though and I know that's where I was supposed to go to school. UNC has a decent B. school and an ok engineering program I believe. I'm applying to dental schools and the one piece of advice I can give you is that unless you really work hard to differentiate yourself in undergrad, it's more impressive to go to a graduate program and do well there. Also your chances are much higher because you're already more qualified than any applicant that just came out of undergrad. I have family members on different admissions boards and their advice to me after I didn't get it right out of undergrad was to do a good master's program. I haven't been accepted yet, but I have been hearing back quite a bit from dental schools and I'm only done with my 1st semester in my graduate program. I think the biggest piece of advice anyone can give you is to set yourself up for success. No matter what the school is known for or how well ranked a certain school's engineering department is, if the school is not a good fit for you (classroom size, teaching style, etc.), it'll be tough to succeed. Think of how you work best and then look at the schools that you listed and eliminate the ones that don't fit. Do you like a more traditional university or do you want to attend a liberal arts university? Do you have to have a name? Also if you really want to get into a great program after undergrad, sometimes it's better to be top at a lesser known university than it is to be mid-pack at an elite school.

    There are TONS of factors when looking into stuff like this. If I could do it again, as much as it pains me to say, I would probably stay away from UNC. I loved it too much. The women were beautiful, the alcohol was easy to find, and the basketball was championship level so I never studied, although I came out pretty well. Everyone here can give you advice, but until you go and you experience the life a little bit, you'll never know. I wish you the best of luck though...also one thing too is check to see if they have an auto club, you're obviously into cars. If they don't you can work on starting one and working with the area or state auto club at sponsoring events. Starting or leading a club looks AWESOME on your application. Ok my mind wandered enough...time to go back to studying... XP Good luck again man, and have fun...and study...but also have fun lol
    Thanks for the long reply, this is definitely something i will come back to and read many times. Thanks to everyone who has responded!

    Funny you mentioned the auto-club, as i already have been looking at schools like Wash U/Stanford/UVA to see if they had an autocross club Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,081
    Rep Points
    2,121.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the long reply, this is definitely something i will come back to and read many times. Thanks to everyone who has responded!

    Funny you mentioned the auto-club, as i already have been looking at schools like Wash U/Stanford/UVA to see if they had an autocross club Click here to enlarge
    Even without a autocross club, they will all have auto clubs, and car meets and you will have lots of car friends




  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    755
    Rep Points
    861.8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Even without a autocross club, they will all have auto clubs, and car meets and you will have lots of car friends
    Yeah i getcha, just would be interesting to be apart of.
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    557
    Rep Points
    785.8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Autoholics of Texas. If you come here, find us. We're pretty awesome.

    Oh, and good luck. Keep us updated on what you choose.
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    755
    Rep Points
    861.8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Autoholics of Texas. If you come here, find us. We're pretty awesome.

    Oh, and good luck. Keep us updated on what you choose.
    Will do, thanks!
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    200
    Rep Points
    364.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    i want to work on wallstreet (i work for a UBS broker now, as his assitant). I doubt i can get there without college.
    Here's some good advice that actually happened at my school.

    A high school senior wanted to work for a financial institution, so he called them up and asked to speak to someone involved in hiring college graduates. The student asked, "If you had two college grads applying for the same job and they were both equally qualified except that one attended college A and another college B, which would you pick?" When the person responded that they would pick college B, that's the college that the student ended up attending.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    755
    Rep Points
    861.8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hifiguy Click here to enlarge
    Here's some good advice that actually happened at my school.

    A high school senior wanted to work for a financial institution, so he called them up and asked to speak to someone involved in hiring college graduates. The student asked, "If you had two college grads applying for the same job and they were both equally qualified except that one attended college A and another college B, which would you pick?" When the person responded that they would pick college B, that's the college that the student ended up attending.
    Interesting. My broker is strongly pointing me towards Georgetown for some reason.
    Click here to enlarge

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Interesting. My broker is strongly pointing me towards Georgetown for some reason.
    He Alumni? I don't know Georgetown's Undergrad Business Program, but it's obviously in the middle of DC and there's a LOT of networking to be done down there
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •