Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazylegs Click here to enlarge
    I know its $85 in miami lakes caution crossfit for unlimited month to month, but thats a hell of a drive from boyton beach. anywere else its retarded at $150+ and have to have a contract for multiple months...
    I'd be all over $85 a month, but it seems like if you live anywhere near a big metro or financially affluent area, you get $#@!ed. Lifetime Fitness (open 24 hrs) & Equinox are the other two "posh" gyms, and neither of them are worth their membership fees either.

The Mayhem CrossFit in Cookeville, TN is basically THE CrossFit to train at (2-time Champ Rich Froning, Dan Bailey & a lot of other top notch CrossFitters call it home) and it's $140 a month for unlimited classes, $110 a week for 5 (which is prob plenty if those guys are the instructors).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why by Spring? Already started my New Year's resolution nonsense and dropped 6 since last week. I think I can do 20 total by the end of the month and I'm golden. By spring you should be in perfect shape.
    I ran track and played football in High School. It took a toll on my knee's so part of my goal is to first focus on low impact cardio work and core strengthening work this month into Feb. Around mid Fed I will start more towards toning while doing cardio and core work. I'll rock with that till April and then go into Crossfit for that extra push. This allows me to build strength around my knees and core and then I should be good to go.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    I ran track and played football in High School. It took a toll on my knee's so part of my goal is to first focus on low impact cardio work and core strengthening work this month into Feb. Around mid Fed I will start more towards toning while doing cardio and core work. I'll rock with that till April and then go into Crossfit for that extra push. This allows me to build strength around my knees and core and then I should be good to go.
    You probably already know this but... swimming.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

You probably already know this but... swimming.
    Thats part of it my gym has a pool so I do 20 laps or I do the spin classes or the elliptical machines. I do something different everyday to keep the variety. 5 Days of cardio, 7 days of core for now.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Well then that's plenty to hit your goal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Thats part of it my gym has a pool so I do 20 laps or I do the spin classes or the elliptical machines. I do something different everyday to keep the variety. 5 Days of cardio, 7 days of core for now.
    LA Fitness?
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    LA Fitness?
    Yes sir...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I'm gonna assume that if you've stuck with it for 2 years, it's actually worth doing & effective. Care to comment on your results/gains/etc
    I like it, not all of it but a lot of it. I am overall in better shape than before, but I fell like I have lost peek strength in pushing and pulling. With more heavy olympic weight lifting that will come back.

My problem has been injuries. Crossfit puts a lot of stress on the shoulders, you need be very flexible int he shoulder joints. With both shoulders now torn and slipped disks int the back, I am not able to go as hard as I would have wanted.

BAD: Too much focus on TIME/Reps, and not enough on quality of each rep. It tends to turn into a competition between people.

Crossfit is like sex, its not a about who finishes first, it's about the quality, technique and effort+passion you put into it from beginning to the end.
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
    My problem has been injuries. Crossfit puts a lot of stress on the shoulders, you need be very flexible int he shoulder joints. With both shoulders now torn and slipped disks int the back, I am not able to go as hard as I would have wanted.

BAD: Too much focus on TIME/Reps, and not enough on quality of each rep. It tends to turn into a competition between people.
    Injuries directly related from CrossFit? I've def noticed there's a lot of stress on the shoulders with heavy emphasis on pullups, overhead pressing, kettlebells, etc.

As for quality of reps, I guess that's knowing what you can effectively lift & not going over loading the weight until you are ready. No point in throwing up mad weight if you can't actually fundamentally do the lift, you're not gonna get anything out of it & just more likely to injury yourself.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think the issue they don't teach form. Saying you can learn to squat or deadlift in 2 weeks is a joke. I've been lifting with competing power lifters for years now, and I'm still tweaking my technique. A lot of those injuries could be prevented with more emphasis on proper instruction. I have a friend who has been crossfitting for 3-4 years now. She still deadlifts with the most round back stiffleggedness I've ever seen. She even competes at the upper levels.

I like the training principals, and have been training this way since before crossfitting exited, as a majority of others have, injury free. I also use common sense and don't do bull$#@! excersises. I think the way society demands instand results is a reason we see a ton of injuries with crossfitters. People don't want to put the time in to learn properly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I think the issue they don't teach form. Saying you can learn to squat or deadlift in 2 weeks is a joke. I've been lifting with competing power lifters for years now, and I'm still tweaking my technique. A lot of those injuries could be prevented with more emphasis on proper instruction. I have a friend who has been crossfitting for 3-4 years now. She still deadlifts with the most round back stiffleggedness I've ever seen. She even competes at the upper levels.

I like the training principals, and have been training this way since before crossfitting exited, as a majority of others have, injury free. I also use common sense and don't do bull$#@! excersises. I think the way society demands instand results is a reason we see a ton of injuries with crossfitters. People don't want to put the time in to learn properly.
    Instant results is a big problem. I expect them as well but it doesn't work that way. Let me ask this though, when diligently lifting, how long until one sees results?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    In that video early in the thread. Those are not pull ups. Kicking and swinging body to assist pull up doesn't count.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    In that video early in the thread. Those are not pull ups. Kicking and swinging body to assist pull up doesn't count.
    Kipping pull ups, just a different style.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Instant results is a big problem. I expect them as well but it doesn't work that way. Let me ask this though, when diligently lifting, how long until one sees results?
    There are a lot contributing factors. Genetics, Diet, dedication, etc. Most importantly it's whether you know what you are actually doing. Most gym goers don't. I've seen guy's trying to get big year 2-3 years, and look exactly the same as the day they started. I'm not saying I'm a Pro, but I'm above average for sure.

I've been training @Rabbit pusher for a little over a year now. We don't train for mass, just strength. In one year, he has gained almost 30lbs of body weight, squatted 340lbs for a double, benched 250lbs, deadlifted 450, and Strict Overhead pressed 165. And he is still Super lean.

Repped lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I've been training @Rabbit pusher for a little over a year now. We don't train for mass, just strength. In one year, he has gained almost 30lbs of body weight, squatted 340lbs for a double, benched 250lbs, deadlifted 450, and Strict Overhead pressed 165. And he is still Super lean.
    What is it that he is doing? Isn't 30 pounds in one year very good?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I am with you on this one. I compete in powerlifting and some of the form I see on the crossfit squat and deadlifts is a joke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

There are a lot contributing factors. Genetics, Diet, dedication, etc. Most importantly it's whether you know what you are actually doing. Most gym goers don't. I've seen guy's trying to get big year 2-3 years, and look exactly the same as the day they started. I'm not saying I'm a Pro, but I'm above average for sure.

Repped lol
    +1 for the truth. Genetics plays a huge part in your development along with diet, workout routine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yea it was a hard year but I've made all my progress without injury due to the focus on proper form. As a side note kipping pull-ups are crap. They are pull-ups for people who lack the ability to move their own body weight. By doing this instead of training real pull-ups you are crippling yourself so to speak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its the kipping pull up, its because you will be doing like 150 pull ups in a workout, and its pretty hard to be doing strict pull ups for mostly everybody. but there will be some workouts where its specific to say a "strict pull up"
    A very Slow cobalt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nobody really gets injured trying to set new personal bests in weight, unless the technique is bad. Likewise nobody really gets injured doing massive reps of olympic weightlifting if the technique is good.

Its the massive reps at bad technique that are often the cause of injuries in crossfit.
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
    Nobody really gets injured trying to set new personal bests in weight, unless the technique is bad. Likewise nobody really gets injured doing massive reps of olympic weightlifting if the technique is good.

Its the massive reps at bad technique that are often the cause of injuries in crossfit.

This. Both of my coaches push form immensely and do not suggest more weight if you cannot do it. Our classes are usually small enough where they can go one-on-one and observe your form. Case in point, last night we did Hang Power Cleans, followed by double # pullups. I did 72 pullups and 36 Cleans at 85lbs (second time ever doing this). Last week I ended at 75 and my form was on point and literally it was little to no effort. Adding just 10lbs, and combining that with pullups (i do them strict which is a real killer), my form went to crap, I was on my toes and not my heels.

So I did the next best thing. Slowed down, broke up my reps in sets of 3 or 5, and ignored the clock. I finished 13:23, whereas a lot of my teammates have finished in sub-10 min times with more weight. They have also been there 2-3-4 years so I try not to beat myself up about it.

Its crazy but my girl is indeed stronger than me. Her bodyshape has changed, bodyfat content went down and she kicks my ass in every workout. She also has a year on me. That mindfucks me more than seeing how fast others can do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I've been considering crossfit for awhile now, been lifting heavy since I joined the Army. Now that I'm a PFC (proud freaking civilian), I think I'll do some CrossFit since I won't have to worry about PT each morning. I've pretty much peaked right now, currently weigh about 220lbs. Benching 315 feels great, but I have $#@! for endurance now that I don't do stupid amounts of cardio 5 mornings a week.

The giant CrossFit craze disgusted me for awhile though. Lots of "pros" out there who don't know a lick about proper form, trying to teach others. Theres still a lot of potential for injury with all those exercises, even without moving lots of weight.
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

if you pay more than $40/month for fitness training your a fool.

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has been around for years. crossfit was started by a Marine in Cali, but as you can see, it sacrifices form for reps. The benefit to groups is the motivation and mob mentality that you get from it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

this, and the burpee's.. you need to do a push up, and jump for a burpee, thats where the pain comes from, not from just standing up..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    if you pay more than $40/month for fitness training your a fool.

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has been around for years. crossfit was started by a Marine in Cali, but as you can see, it sacrifices form for reps. The benefit to groups is the motivation and mob mentality that you get from it
    I agree, I pay $10 a month for my gym, all you need to do is incorporate HIIT and DTP (Dramatic Transformation Principle) into your workouts and you'll get the results you're looking for. May not be as fun as Crossfit though, I get that its something different and lifting does get boring. I just finished up a 12 week program I found online that was easily the best I've ever done, last four weeks are brutal. Here's a link to anyone interested, if you stick to it and push yourself I'll guarantee you results, obviously diet is key. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...y-trainer.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast