Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tonights offering
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How is it? Never had that one before. Guess I'll give it a shot when I hit up my favorite whiskey bar in LA again in about a month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I was able to attend a small gathering at a new micro-distillery in Colorado Springs called Distillery 291. They just moved in to a larger building, so it was still pretty raw, but super cool to get a tour and try some of their unique offerings. The owner/distiller used to be a fashion photographer in New York, but when 9/11 happened (they lived just a few blocks from the WTC) he moved his family back to Colorado. After commuting for a bit back to New York, he decided to go after another passion - whiskey.

A couple cool things:

This is his spirit still (he has a much larger, custom made, stripping still). It is custom made from copper etchings he had left over from his photography business. It isn't big (only about 40 gallons of low wines at a time can be distilled), but super cool to see in person.

Click here to enlarge

He has several different types of whiskeys - some that are considered "white dogs" (moonshine - not aged in oak) that are interesting and quite good as mixing, not as good for sipping. But his most popular is a "Colorado Whiskey" that is a Rye Whiskey, finished off with charred Aspen staves. It is super interesting and has won a liquid gold from the Whiskey Bible (so has several of his white dogs).

And while it isn't boosted, he has a pretty sweet old Dodge pickup that he uses to deliver the whiskey to liquor stores and restaurants around town.

Click here to enlarge

Good times and an excellent learning experience.
    Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How is it? Never had that one before. Guess I'll give it a shot when I hit up my favorite whiskey bar in LA again in about a month.
    coming from rum cask I thought it would be a little sweeter than the balvenie double wood but its not. Or if it is only a little. Slight warmth afterwards but very nice taste. Has a rum smell to it but not too different from the double wood. A little stronger. Would I buy it again certainly. Well worth a shot
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kev335i Click here to enlarge
    coming from rum cask I thought it would be a little sweeter than the balvenie double wood but its not. Or if it is only a little. Slight warmth afterwards but very nice taste. Has a rum smell to it but not too different from the double wood. A little stronger. Would I buy it again certainly. Well worth a shot
    I thought it had a sweet finish when I tried it, but I did try a few other scotches before the Caribbean Cask. Pretty good, but I prefer the 15.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    I was able to attend a small gathering at a new micro-distillery in Colorado Springs called Distillery 291. They just moved in to a larger building, so it was still pretty raw, but super cool to get a tour and try some of their unique offerings.

Good times and an excellent learning experience.
    Rich
    Thanks for sharing Rich. Good stuff man. Olde moonshine too sweet for me when i need something other than scotch. Hope 291 could make it to local TX store!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for sharing Rich. Good stuff man. Olde moonshine too sweet for me when i need something other than scotch. Hope 291 could make it to local TX store!
    It will probably be a while before they make it out of Colorado. They can't keep up with their demand here, let alone look at expanding Click here to enlarge They are definitely a "boutique" type distiller right now - super low volume, but amazingly high quality.

That is also the struggle with whiskey in general (even for the big guys) - it goes through cycles where it is popular and then unpopular. Unfortunately, it isn't something you can turn on and start producing in short order - most whiskeys age for years, so the life cycle is very long. There are some ways to speed that up (e.g. using smaller barrels gives more surface area to the whiskey so it "ages" faster), but smaller barrels are not very cost effective.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    It will probably be a while before they make it out of Colorado. They can't keep up with their demand here, let alone look at expanding Click here to enlarge They are definitely a "boutique" type distiller right now - super low volume, but amazingly high quality.

That is also the struggle with whiskey in general (even for the big guys) - it goes through cycles where it is popular and then unpopular. Unfortunately, it isn't something you can turn on and start producing in short order - most whiskeys age for years, so the life cycle is very long. There are some ways to speed that up (e.g. using smaller barrels gives more surface area to the whiskey so it "ages" faster), but smaller barrels are not very cost effective.

-Rich
    Will defintely pay them a visit soon. I was in Durango back 2012 and fscking love that town!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never even heard of Durango...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I thought it had a sweet finish when I tried it, but I did try a few other scotches before the Caribbean Cask. Pretty good, but I prefer the 15.
    You are correct I have re visited it and im detecting more sweetness this time round! Still not as sweet as I was originally expecting but good. Just the balvenie tripple cask to try now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Never even heard of Durango...
    U will love Durango. Very neat little town. They have the most brewing companies in the US when comparing w population I believe. Magnificent scenery especially when taking steam engine train to Silverton. Mesa Verde is near by also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Found this Bourbon today. Supposed to be pretty good, looking forward to trying it:

"Opening nosings detect concentrated, litchi nut, deep-roasted grain scents; aroma turns baked, buttery, oaky and almost brandy-like with aeration. Palate entry is integrated, sweet, and slightly peppery; at midpalate there’s a sweet oak/vanilla rush that backs off prior to the finish, leaving behind taste traces of spirity heat, vanilla extract, cake frosting, butter cream and resin. Evokes thoughts of Cognac, in particular, from the Borderies district. Best Buy." 90-95 pts.

Reviewed by: The Wine Enthusiast

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also found a bottle of the Johnny Walker Double Black. That one is up after this one is gone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lucky bast* :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds perfect to learn with:

Bourbon Name: Baker’s

Proof: 107

Year:

How I Drank It
    : Neat, in my special bourbon glass (please don’t be jealous)

My Nose Noticed:*
    Caramel | Vanilla | Cedar | Hint of Orange

First Sip:
    Sweet Spice | Oak | Dried Fruit

The Burn:**
    Upon my first sip I noticed two things. First, a nice fiery bite on the front of my tongue. Second, the liquid has a nice balance to it. Whereas Basil Hayden’s is very light on the tongue, Baker’s has more weight to it but not enough to feel heavy. I would say that the weight of the Bourbon is perfect. Spice quickly fills your mouth and then resolves into a warm mid-throat burn that disappears way too quickly. Once the burn is gone you’re left with a slightly sweet after taste that is rather dry and not to my liking.

Neat, Splash or Rocks:
    At 107 proof, Baker’s is starting to get serious, but I found that adding water took a lot of the flavor out of this one and over-amplified the oak flavor. I’d try to drink this one neat if possible. If you need to temper it a bit, drop a single ice cube in but don’t sit around too long or it will wind up releasing a heavy dose of oak without the required companion flavor notes to make it work.w

Share With:
    I’d share Baker’s with someone who is learning about Bourbon and eager to do some side-by-side tastings to develop their palette. It’s not a Bourbon that I would single out to drink on its own.

Worth The Price:
    If you’re serious about your Bourbon and are looking to have bottles on hand to compare and contrast during tastings I think it’s worth the $35 you’d spend to pick it up at most liquor stores.

Bottle, Bar or Bust:
    If you’re new to Bourbon I think you can skip this one for now. Those of you who are well into your Bourbon journey might want to grab a bottle as part of obtaining the entire Small Batch Bourbon Collection. It’s not a bad Bourbon in my opinion but it’s also not one that fits within what I like personally. There’s a lot to learn by having some on hand but I would consider it a educational investment more than a pleasure purchase.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Named after Baker Beam, grand nephew of the legendary Jim Beam, Baker’s Bourbon is aged seven years and hand bottled at 107 proof. Embracing over six generations of distilling experience, Baker’s Bourbon utilizes a special strain of jug yeast that has been in the family for over 60 years. Aged in new American Oak barrels, Baker’s was awarded a gold medal from Wine Enthusiast and a double gold medalist at the San Francisco Spirit Awards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Named after Baker Beam, grand nephew of the legendary Jim Beam, Baker’s Bourbon is aged seven years and hand bottled at 107 proof. Embracing over six generations of distilling experience, Baker’s Bourbon utilizes a special strain of jug yeast that has been in the family for over 60 years. Aged in new American Oak barrels, Baker’s was awarded a gold medal from Wine Enthusiast and a double gold medalist at the San Francisco Spirit Awards.
    Great information, thank you.

Going to enjoy this one tonight. Get the fire place going, heat up the spa, and just enjoy my Saturday night and some Bourbon. Going to be interesting to contrast this against all the Scotch I've been trying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gave it a shot with an ice cube and it's pretty tasty. Little more intense flavor than the Scotches I've been trying but with an interesting sweetness to it. I definitely like it but still would prefer a Macallan 12 for sipping.

Definitely will be exploring more Bourbon though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Made me laugh:

"No married man is genuinely happy if he has to drink worse whisky than he used to drink when he was single."
    - H. L. Mencken

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the more I have of this Bourbon the more I like it. I think I'm going to get a lot of work done today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Got this bad boy yesterday. Very smooth. So smooth that I don't like it (too easy almost too light) or perhaps I need to drink more to like it. I think its mostly due to I'm single malt noob.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Picked this up today and it's just flat out amazing. Best Scotch I've had this year. If you don't like the Talisker 10 you won't like this. It's spectacular though, I'm in love.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yesterday I had the Chivas 18 and 25. Both were awesome and the 25 was excellent although I didn't expect the $300 price tag for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bought this today. Will not be buying it again:

Click here to enlarge

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast