Close

Thread: Dyno results

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Dyno results

I was going to hold of on this thread until after I have results before and after, but because it was so low I thought I would ask the forum for some help.

Here are the results I had of the dyno run today. I have the Eurocharged v4 tune and MBH headers, mids, AFE Pro Dry S filters and charcoals removed. I'm also running 93 octane fuel.

The car was run in 4th gear, but the first two runs were in D1 and not S or M. The car seemed to be shifting early so I told the operator to use M instead and he saw a slight increase in power before it hit 5th.

Click here to enlarge

398 rwhp with the setup I have seems pretty low. I'm wondering if something was done incorrectly. It's not like they don't know how to dyno. They do it all the time, but maybe I was supposed to run in 5th gear? I forgot the flash tuner so I will be going back early in the morning to run again with the original stock tune file so we can try and see the difference. Fortunately the temperature should be about the exact same in the morning tomorrow so I am not worried about the variables as much.

Does anyone have any advice to give regarding setting up for the dyno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    mustang dyno, they usually read less than what you expect....would help if you knew what other cars may have run on that particular dyno. like you said, would be good to put your stock file back on to check, but since you already have headers, won't be a true stock reading.

run your car in 5th gear, M mode, dyno mode, make sure A/C is off...

if other c63 haven't run on this dyno, ask the guy what other cars have put down, then you can kind of extrapolate what you ought to be seeing. 400 whp on a mustang dyno might be good for you....just need some reference points.
    Click here to enlarge
    C63 Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mustang Dynos read lower than Dynojets. Dont worry, your C63 numbers are normal on this type of dyno. A Weistec Stage 1+ supercharged C63 dynoed 462rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. You can search about it on Mbworld. It belongs to member "PertPlus". Take it to a dynojet and you should net around 460-470 rwhp SAE.

Make sure you set your car on Dyno Mode

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys. I am heading back to dyno again in 1.5 hours. I am not 100% sure, but I believe we only turned off ESP and did not put into dyno mode. I will check again and I will also ask to run in 5th gear manual instead.

To see the difference between the tune and headers + tune, do I need to drive it around after swapping the tune or can I swap to original while on the dyno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HoozyerdaddyC63 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys. I am heading back to dyno again in 1.5 hours. I am not 100% sure, but I believe we only turned off ESP and did not put into dyno mode. I will check again and I will also ask to run in 5th gear manual instead.

To see the difference between the tune and headers + tune, do I need to drive it around after swapping the tune or can I swap to original while on the dyno?
    Yes. You do need to kick it a few times for about 20-30 miles to let it adapt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

do you have cats?

we have a similar set up and i've only ran on mustang dynos so far... and i can tell you they can easily vary from one mustang dyno to another...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As already stated it's a Mustang dyno so your numbers seem about right. However, you really need to get a baseline to work with here or else you are somewhat shooting in the dark.

All dyno'd vary so I'd recommend setting the car to stock, running it, setting the tune, then running it to compare. This is the only way you will have truly useful data for yourself but according to your peak HP there clearly you are making much more power than stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejae Click here to enlarge
    do you have cats?

we have a similar set up and i've only ran on mustang dynos so far... and i can tell you they can easily vary from one mustang dyno to another...
    Very true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Those are impressive numbers for a mustang Dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ok, now for the comparison. I did 3 runs today.

The first one we tried in 5th gear. I think I hit the the speed limiter or something because as you can see from the graph there is a clear drop at 142 mph. We weren't sure what had happened so we ran the last two back in 4th gear.

Click here to enlarge

The second run was actually 397 rwhp if I remember correctly, but we used the graph from yesterday in the comparison since there was only a 1 rwph difference.

In the image below you will see #1 is the stock plus MBH headers and #2 is Eurocharged tune plus MBH headers.

Click here to enlarge

The difference between the stock file with headers and the tune plus headers is +43 rwhp and +25 ft lb. It's too bad I wasn't able to get the dyno runs completely stock before the headers, but it is what it is.

The Mustang dyno really is a heart breaker when it comes to showing numbers, but all things considered I am pleased with the results.

I wonder if we can squeeze out some more hp from the looks of the AFR. I may take it to a Dynojet to see what the difference is between the Mustang, but I heard the settings are pretty conservative on it so it may not be a huge difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejae Click here to enlarge
    do you have cats?

No cats. Our setup is almost identical except for the ROW airboxes and maybe the air filters.

The weird thing was I was expecting to see 470 rwhp on the Mustang because that is what you showed, but it was 70 less and I was trying to figure out why your numbers were so much higher.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HoozyerdaddyC63 Click here to enlarge
    The difference between the stock file with headers and the tune plus headers is +43 rwhp and +25 ft lb.
    That's pretty good... and keep in mind stock cars without headers put down about 355-360 on a dynojet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IDK....I would find a dynojet. LT headers/tune should net you around 100 whp. You shouldn't have any speed limiter issues with a tune, unless this was a dyno issue.....which shouldn't happen. IIRC, you had a best trap speed around 119? It still seems to me you are getting tune only performance, even though you have headers.
    Click here to enlarge
    C63 Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Even Money Click here to enlarge
    IDK....I would find a dynojet. LT headers/tune should net you around 100 whp. You shouldn't have any speed limiter issues with a tune, unless this was a dyno issue.....which shouldn't happen. IIRC, you had a best trap speed around 119? It still seems to me you are getting tune only performance, even though you have headers.
    I had a leak in the intake manifold that I got that fixed the week after my 11.913 at 119.22 mph, but have not gotten to the track to test and see the results.

After the leak was fixed I did notice a considerable power gain and traction loss in 2nd and 3rd gears. The car also feels like a train that keeps going strong through the curve compared to before where it felt like it flattened out at top end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's pretty good... and keep in mind stock cars without headers put down about 355-360 on a dynojet.
    Yea, Pertplus put down 380 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with MBH headers (with Hi-Flo Cats), Akropovic Exhaust, ACG Stage 2 Tune, BMC Filters and 91 Octane so I feel that I am in the range I should be in for the Mustang dyno.

The Dynojet would be more for fun and comparison at this point too. The track should really be able to tell the difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like everybody said, mustang dynos seems to read a little low compared to other dynos. Also what is the DA over there? Everything can effect the dyno #'s since its a RWD car, even the tire pressures...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWD75 Click here to enlarge
    Like everybody said, mustang dynos seems to read a little low compared to other dynos. Also what is the DA over there? Everything can effect the dyno #'s since its a RWD car, even the tire pressures...
    The Mustang dyno is weather corrected based on the DA from the nearest weather station so I don't know the actual DA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here are some pictures of the Dynamometer.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's a video of the dyno run as well. Someone else told me you're supposed to punch it at 4th gear and not roll into it and that makes a difference in HP read.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you can you should definitely try a dynojet as well. Considering you are in Chicago, you should have a ton of choices.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Get back to the track. That will tell the real story.
    2012 CTS V - Sedan - 6AT

Stage 1 Mods:
    - 2.5 upper pulley, Ported snout/throttle body, Fluidyne HX, Airaid CAI w/green filter, ID850 injectors

Stage 2 Mods:
    - American Racing Headers w/X-pipe, 9.1 Lower Pulley, Tune Time Custom Cam, Moroso Dual Catch Cans, Zl1 Lid, Norcal Tank

Stage 3 Mods:
    - LSA ported/polished heads, 4.5" G-Force intake, Nick Williams 102mm T-body, 8.6 Lower Pulley

12.18 @ 118.98 - STOCK
    10.87 @ 127.02 - STAGE 1
    10.53 @ 131.31 - STAGE 2
    10.47 @ 133.20 - STAGE 3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, Pertplus put down 380 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with MBH headers (with Hi-Flo Cats), Akropovic Exhaust, ACG Stage 2 Tune, BMC Filters and 91 Octane so I feel that I am in the range I should be in for the Mustang dyno.

The Dynojet would be more for fun and comparison at this point too. The track should really be able to tell the difference.
    I have used a Mustang dyno multiple times on two different cars with more than one set up on one of the cars, the thing is, Mustangs don't necessarily read much lower than DJ's. My non-P31 C63 put down 348 rwhp on 91 octane on a Mustang in the Vegas area in not the best weather. Not really that low, considering.

The dyno results you mentioned with the super-low results for the stated mods is not necessarily indicative of a Mustang's ability to measure hp. I would submit the stated figures aren't even close to the car's actual hp. That dyno can measure gains but it's doing a poor job measuring actual power output.

I'm only sharing my opinion because it's common to hear people say Mustang's are heart breakers and I just don't think they are designed to measure power so inaccurately. A lot has to do with the correction factor used and a number of other factors relating to calibration.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just for reference, I initially used a mustang dyno to compare tune results. As has been mentioned, there are several variables that have to be input for the mustang dyno to be accurate. Such as vehicle weight and hp@50 I believe are the more prominent variables. When I went back for my 2nd set of dyno pulls, the tech said his computer had taken a dump and had lost my previously used values. So, we figured best we could what I used previously, did some pulls, got what I thought were good numbers and left. Got home and finally found the previous dyno sheet and of course the values we used were not the same as the first go around. IIRC the weight was off by 300 pounds and the other variable was off as well.

To keep the story short, I then go to a dynonet and figure that I'm underpowered by maybe 25 whp, which was not revealed on the mustang dyno, 'cause i didn't use consistent values. I eventually got the car sorted. IMHO, the dynojet is a much simpler/easier to use tool to get whp and less likely to make a mistake than using a mustang dyno.
    Click here to enlarge
    C63 Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks @Sonny and @Even Money. I spoke to a tech and he suggested the same thing. It will be itneresting to see the difference between dyno numbers, but I'm not going to give it too much after thought. I'd much rather get back to the track and see what those numbers are. Next season is going to be fun! Click here to enlarge