Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Review: BREMBO GT for BMW 335i

As some of you may know I track my car regularly. As soon as I started to reach the limits of the stock brakes, I seeked info on Big Brake Kits. However I found astonishingly few reviews. So I figured I’d give it a try and write a short review myself. English is not my native tongue, so please be forgiving with spelling mistakes Click here to enlarge

First a bit of background info to explain what led me to the decision to invest in a BBK. When I started tracking two years ago, my car was already modified a bit suspension and power wise. The stock brake setup worked alright, but the pads would wear (or should I say melt) rather quickly once a certain heat threshold was reached. The next step was to upgrade to better pads and discs. I chose Cool Carbon pads (which are sold as street/light track pads) and EBC Turbo Groove rotors.

Well, this setup only lasted a couple track-days until I started to notice a shudder on the front when the brakes were hot. Most probably this was due to uneven pad material deposits on the rotors. Not very confidence inspiring on the track, to say the least.

At this point I didn’t want to invest in another half-cooked solution and decided to get a proper BBK. I was contemplating between different kits such as the Brembo GT, Stoptech or AP Racing. I was lucky to find a lightly used rear Brembo GT with cross drilled rotors and then purchased a matching front set. The rotor sizes are 355mm front and 345mm in the back, with gorgeous yellow calipers. Compared to stock you’re dealing with some serious brake pron! Click here to enlarge In the front there are six fixed pistons vs 4 pistons in the back kit. A huge improvement compared to the floating (single) piston stock calipers. Notice that on our cars 75% of the braking is done by the fronts.

Installation was done by my shop and pretty straight forward. All the necessary hardware including stainless steel brake lines are included.

First driving experience was very positive. The first thing you’ll notice is that pedal feel is very different. Stock pads tend to have a lot of initial bite even when you only lightly depress the brake pedal. However, as you increase pedal pressure, there is only a little more braking power available.

Not so with the BBK! The brakes are now very progressive, meaning that you can modulate them a lot better! Stopping power is brutal when you mash the pedal to the metal. Very impressive.

I also noticed a definite improvement in the car’s handling, as the Brembos are +/- 4 lbs lighter per corner, despite featuring larger rotors! This is due to the lightweight aluminium hat vs the stock all-steel hat and rotor. The reduction of unsprung masses can clearly be felt!

But the biggest test would follow at the track! And I can assure you, those brakes deliver! Even with the original pads, which are not “track-duty only”, there is no fade, just consistent brake power. My lap times improved considerably as this is hugely confidence inspiring and lets you focus on proper brake points on the circuit rather than have you brake some feet earlier “just in case…”.

Key is that the bigger and larger rotors can dissipate heat so much better than the stock setup.

Depending on your driver level and the racetrack, you should however consider a more track-specific pad.

Also, you should be aware that a pad swap requires removing the calipers on the Brembo GTs. Other kits such as the Stoptech allow to change the pads without removing the calipers. This should be kept in mind of you plan to change out street pads for race pads at the track site.
    So, this leads me to the final verdict. Getting a proper BBK was definitely one of the best mods I’ve done on my car. Yes, the price is quite outrageous but if you’re semi-serious about tracking the car, you won’t think twice later.

And finally, my car got A LOT more looks and attention on the street with these big flashy yellow calipers Click here to enlarge

When comparing different BBKs, it appears that they perform more or less equally well. Differences would rather be initial price, the cost of replacement parts, availability of different pads, ease of pad swap, and caliper design.

Pics will follow shortly.

Cheers,

Christian

E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice review but would be great to see some pics of these as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here is first pic. You can also see how I had to get a custom grille done in the wheel well, as the tire would rub pretty badly on the oem grille that comes with the Performance Power Kit radiator. This is not related to the brakes though. Rather BMW not taking in account people lower the car Click here to enlarge

The spacer is 12mm.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Autobahn335i; 11-22-2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Another pic with the 313 style 19" wheels. Clearance between the caliper and the wheel is really tight, despite the fact that the rotor is the "small" 355mm size. The 380mm kit would not fit with these wheels.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Though i'm not a fan of yellow calipers, i somehow like it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Though i'm not a fan of yellow calipers, i somehow like it. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! I was contemplating yellow or red but since every other P-car here has red calipers I went for the more uncommon yellow Click here to enlarge

The actual colour shows best in the first pic. Second pic turned out a bit too dark.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They look amazing.... Good review! I really wish they weren't so expensive, since I don't track my car it's kinda a waste for me to get them, but I've definitely thought about it!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks even better in person Click here to enlarge
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They look awesome.
    I think I would go with yellow calipers if I ever find the money and courage to do this.
    It's just too damn expensive for 3 to 4 trackdays a year.
    But actually the rotor size isn't that much bigger then stock, is it?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great review and I love the yellow calipers ! I am also looking for a BBK, primarily because I noticed that with the increased engine power the standard brakes really do seem underperforming in some key safety-related scenarios. I am set for AP Racing (which also works with 18" wheels) but unfortunately they don't seem to have yellow calipers by default, only red and black. Maybe they do custom orders though.

I also have the rubbing problem with my Power Kit radiator grille due to my 245/40/18 front wheels, your solution has opened my eyes to building a custom grille.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I also have the rubbing problem with my Power Kit radiator grille due to my 245/40/18 front wheels, your solution has opened my eyes to building a custom grille.
    You can see in the pic that I moved the wheel well plastic to which the grille is fixed, behind the lower plastic. Kinda hard to explain, but there is a bit less dust on the lower part where the upper part used to go to before. All this to gain a few mm more clearance. But with my winter tires I still get a little rub.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    They look awesome.
    I think I would go with yellow calipers if I ever find the money and courage to do this.
    It's just too damn expensive for 3 to 4 trackdays a year.
    But actually the rotor size isn't that much bigger then stock, is it?
    Stock rotor size is 348mm. So the sheer size difference is only marginal. However the rotor on a BBK is also a bit thicker (32mm vs 30mm stock) and the main difference is the two-piece construction: aluminium hat with steel friction disc. Those are attached together by multiple screws. As the rotor gets heated up, it will expand a tiny bit and these screws allow that without crooking or possibly cracking the rotor. On a stock assembly, there is no "expansion area", as the whole rotor and hat is just a single piece.

As you track your car also, you really should think about adding a BBK, maybe even getting a used one as retail prices are indeed very high. It's a very rewarding mod!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    They look amazing.... Good review! I really wish they weren't so expensive, since I don't track my car it's kinda a waste for me to get them, but I've definitely thought about it!
    Hehe the show factor of BBKs is undeniable. Even if you don't track the car, everyone will just think "damn, this car means business" Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Another pic with the 313 style 19" wheels. Clearance between the caliper and the wheel is really tight, despite the fact that the rotor is the "small" 355mm size. The 380mm kit would not fit with these wheels.

Click here to enlarge
    That looks pretty damn good...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That looks pretty damn good...
    Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hehe the show factor of BBKs is undeniable. Even if you don't track the car, everyone will just think "damn, this car means business" Click here to enlarge
    Your right, the looks of a proper bbk is amazing
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks great! I also have 313 19" wheels, too bad that the 380mm kit won't fit em. Thanks for the comprehensive review, this is probably the first review I've read where the reviewer described how the brakes actually felt. Did you find the Cool Carbon pads to be a good replacement over the OEM ones? The BBKs are priced a bit hefty, but your review is very inspiring!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice review! Nice to see some pics of how yellow looks as well.

Do you have any more closer/clearer pics of the front wheels? I am curious to see how the 355 rotors looks behind 19" wheels since I'm considering switching from 380mm due to wheel fitment issues.

Some 18" wheels even fit with 380mm, but the more show less go type of 19" wheels sometimes have some issues.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Nice review! Nice to see some pics of how yellow looks as well.

Do you have any more closer/clearer pics of the front wheels? I am curious to see how the 355 rotors looks behind 19" wheels since I'm considering switching from 380mm due to wheel fitment issues.

Some 18" wheels even fit with 380mm, but the more show less go type of 19" wheels sometimes have some issues.
    Hi,

the car is now in winter mode with 19" 230 style wheels. Not really photogenic compared to the 313 wheels Click here to enlarge

Fitment is quite tight with most OEM 19" wheels. You can find aftermarket 18" which will even clear the 380mm set though.

When I track the car, I use 18" BBS CH wheels.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the review. I need to change all my discs/pads this spring anyway, so I'm planning on a Brembo BBK as well. I don't track a lot, but when I do go to the Nürburgring a few times every year, I very frequently find myself braking a bit early, just in case, simply because I'm not really confident in the stock brakes on the track after the first 2 rounds....

Looks pretty good in yellow as well, I would probably go with black for a more stealth type look, but I need to get the money before I have to worry about the color Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Öhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the review. I need to change all my discs/pads this spring anyway, so I'm planning on a Brembo BBK as well. I don't track a lot, but when I do go to the Nürburgring a few times every year, I very frequently find myself braking a bit early, just in case, simply because I'm not really confident in the stock brakes on the track after the first 2 rounds....

Looks pretty good in yellow as well, I would probably go with black for a more stealth type look, but I need to get the money before I have to worry about the color Click here to enlarge
    A BBK will inspire ALOT more confidence on the Ring (and any racetrack) so you don't have to worry about managing the brakes but can focus on the proper lines.

Maybe we'll come across some time next year:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A BBK will inspire ALOT more confidence on the Ring (and any racetrack) so you don't have to worry about managing the brakes but can focus on the proper lines.

Maybe we'll come across some time next year:

Click here to enlarge
    Maybe we will. I love that place, here's a photo of me/my car on the Ring:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Öhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe we will. I love that place, here's a photo of me/my car on the Ring:
    Very nice. Your car car looks totally stealth and "sleeper"!! Didn't expect that looking at your mod list Click here to enlarge

I'm about to drop my car off to get RBs installed. Can't wait for spring and the next track season to arrive!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice. Your car car looks totally stealth and "sleeper"!! Didn't expect that looking at your mod list Click here to enlarge
    I have had so much fun on the Autobahn and the Ring, with Porsche 911's and E60 M5, Audi S6, S4, RS4 etc. None of them expected me to be that fast Click here to enlarge

I'm about to drop my car off to get RBs installed. Can't wait for spring and the next track season to arrive!
    You'll love the RBs, hope you get them in time for track season.

About the Brembo Big Brake kit (GT), do you know of any supplier in EU that'll give som discount? Not much to find on e-bay, and not many resellers either, but after your review I have just got to get these brakes....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have had so much fun on the Autobahn and the Ring, with Porsche 911's and E60 M5, Audi S6, S4, RS4 etc. None of them expected me to be that fast Click here to enlarge

You'll love the RBs, hope you get them in time for track season.

About the Brembo Big Brake kit (GT), do you know of any supplier in EU that'll give som discount? Not much to find on e-bay, and not many resellers either, but after your review I have just got to get these brakes....
    PMed Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast