Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by undercover Click here to enlarge
    OKAY....

Although we use so much ethanol here on everything we build we should have our own station on site. I currently do not agree with 90% of DI owners to use it, until there is a better solution and REAL flex fuel strategy. With not knowing exactly what Ethanol content you are running it really cannot be tuned properly. The 10% of people I would say go for it are guys who are familiar with using it or people that are very involved with making power with their cars at the expense of anything.

The maintenance required to run ethanol is increased. And as long as you are educated on it and perform correct safety precautions, while keeping your fuel delivery system properly maintained you will never have an issue.

I have not tested all the lines yet on the n54, but most so far are 100% compatible. We have a nice solution to the upgraded lpfp pump line popping off however and have tested heavily with ethanol on the n54. Along with the vargas hpfp and rail. We really need a larger turbo car here to have more information on the limits of the upgraded fuel system.

Although I know e85 is far superior and safer than using water/meth, the n54/55 platform is only on the brink of being able to properly use it. Therefor use at your own risk and take the time to learn about ethyl alcohol
    Good info, mind elaborating on how e85 is safer than water/meth? I will be running a meth injection kit probably starting next week, would like to know why it's not safe? Will probably start off with WW fluid or similar ~%30-35 mix.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Good info, mind elaborating on how e85 is safer than water/meth?
    Well for one you don't have to worry about running out of meth, flow stopping, clogs, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I'll be using a jb4 with mine which will control flow and take care of changing tune if it runs out.

What would clog? The injection nozzle? How? Fluid should be pretty clean. I suppose I could set something up to filter it before filling the in car tank if it's really an issue, but haven't heard of anyone having to do it. (Yeah I'm new to n54's, but meth is nothing new), know plenty of people who have ran it with no issues, important thing is failsafe control for if you run out or have pump failure or inadequate pressure for some reason, but like I said jb4 will take care of that automatically.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I'll be using a jb4 with mine which will control flow and take care of changing tune if it runs out.

What would clog? The injection nozzle? How? Fluid should be pretty clean. I suppose I could set something up to filter it before filling the in car tank if it's really an issue, but haven't heard of anyone having to do it. (Yeah I'm new to n54's, but meth is nothing new), know plenty of people who have ran it with no issues, important thing is failsafe control for if you run out or have pump failure or inadequate pressure for some reason, but like I said jb4 will take care of that automatically.
    It's pretty rare to get a clog but flow sometimes does get stopped. Things happen. When using E85 there are less variables is really what it comes down to.

For the record I run meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Well.... The real issue is atomization and even distribution among cylinders. Or lack there of. The spray pattern of a meth nozzle is a joke. And the fact that your dealing with a centrally located throttle body and the long ass inline 6 log style manifold makes things worse. Cyl 1&6 are screwed. 2&5 get robbed quite a bit while cyl 3&4 get doused in meth. The spark plugs show it if you make a decent power pull and shut the motor off immediately to pull the plugs and inspect. You will find tiny piston speckles on the porcelain.
    The n54 specifically takes quite a bit of abuse. Just because an engine isn't knocking doesn't necessarily mean its happy or optimal.
    I am not saying throw away your meth kit. It's really all we have that allows a nice significant hp gains cheaply. And with out the cooling effect of water meth those little turbos generate too much heat at high boost. But are quite impressive none the less.
    What I am saying is that meth should be used as a aid. Not a bandaid for a bigger issue. If your using it to supplement fuel delivery issues you may very well be in for a costly build that didnt need to take place. Like being out of fuel pump or pushing something farther than your pocket can afford.
    No matter what be educated on what more you perform. And don't take info from just anyone. There are several other possible disasters with meth. Some can be controlled others can not. With the help of flow meters and built in feedback and safegaurds meth is safer than ever has been.
    I hope I'm clear in what I am trying to explain.
    Click here to enlarge
    I probably run as much boost as you do fuel pressure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Well.... The real issue is atomization and even distribution among cylinders. Or lack there of. The spray pattern of a meth nozzle is a joke. And the fact that your dealing with a centrally located throttle body and the long ass inline 6 log style manifold makes things worse. Cyl 1&6 are screwed. 2&5 get robbed quite a bit while cyl 3&4 get doused in meth. The spark plugs show it if you make a decent power pull and shut the motor off immediately to pull the plugs and inspect. You will find tiny piston speckles on the porcelain.
    But can't this be circumvented with a direct port meth setup? Not that anyone really does that but it would solve it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Supra manifolds are even worse btw. Cylinder 5&6 get gobbs of meth. 1&2 are starving.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But can't this be circumvented with a direct port meth setup? Not that anyone really does that but it would solve it.
    Absofuckinglutely!!!! Pure methanol is awesome fuel. Ss lines and extensive hardware and electronics required. But your tuning window is huge. Can't hardly screw up. It may go faster with richer/leaner mixtures but could ultimately care less. The engines almost always happy with pure alchohol. But..... Ethanol can be injected like gasoline and is significantly easier to control and maintain. People think e85 is added maintenance. Pure alcohol is way harder on it deliver system the e85. Corrosion & no lubricant besides m5 that has added oil in it. But that stuff is nasty
    At the end it's what the end user is willing to tolerate and pay for to achieve bigger power.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

If we had twin throttle and f1 style manifolds we'd be set for tb injected meth as well. 2 nozzles and we'd be golden.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Absofuckinglutely!!!! Pure methanol is awesome fuel. Ss lines and extensive hardware and electronics required. But your tuning window is huge. Can't hardly screw up. It may go faster with richer/leaner mixtures but could ultimately care less. The engines almost always happy with pure alchohol. But..... Ethanol can be injected like gasoline and is significantly easier to control and maintain. People think e85 is added maintenance. Pure alcohol is way harder on it deliver system the e85. Corrosion & no lubricant besides m5 that has added oil in it. But that stuff is nasty
    At the end it's what the end user is willing to tolerate and pay for to achieve bigger power.
    E85 is definitely easier as you're using the stock design of the fuel system essentially. The only maintenance issues I see are if the lines and tank and such weren't designed for it but most stuff is these days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

If we had twin throttle and f1 style manifolds we'd be set for tb injected meth as well. 2 nozzles and we'd be golden.
    You don't say...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

You guys.

Running meth and E85 (60/40) for over a year now, all stock fuel system, no issues noted.

Only pump in South florida happens to be down the road from my house Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thanks. Great to know! And thanks for staying on topic!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I guess I'll contribute. I have the Flex Fuel kit from Vishnu, and, aside from awkward customer service (which is beating a dead horse on this forum), the product, in itself, works really well. My engine has been running with ethanol in the tank for a year now with no issues, about 10k miles. It would be great if there were other kits out there that offered a true flex fuel sensor. Having the engine able to instantly respond to wildly differing ethanol ratios without worrying about what you're putting in the tank is a pretty huge plus in usability. My only limitation, right now, is the fuel pump itself. If I fill the tank with 100% E85, the pump cuts out at high RPMs. It is, essentially, a brand new fuel pump as well. The stock fuel pump is running at over double the normal demand with a moderate flex fuel tune. My boost target right now is 17 psi. I need to upgrade to a Walbro, but I have read stories about longevity problems with those fuel pumps. The amount of torque I am making at sea level (+-500 ft lbs with just intakes) exceeded what the stock clutch could handle, so I have a Spec Stage 2+ which has been great. Cold start idling has been extremely rough, though I have been told that this is solved with a firmware update, which I am waiting on.

Additionally, aren't these cars made for the Brazil market, as well? Isn't there 25% ethanol in that fuel? It seems to me that any modern car would have fuel-touching components manufactured to withstand any volatility from ethanol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

These cars can go anywhere in the world.

VARIANT coding is what allows them in other fuel markets.
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123