8 44.44%
  • Mistubishi Evolution X

2 11.11%
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mustang 5.0 or S2000 or Evo X

After all the times I’ve wanted to sell my car and go a different route, this time it’s finally happening. I’ve already sold my “racecar” mods, all that’s left to get rid of are the coils and wheels. Picking up a new car within a month or so. Not really sure what to get. My two options are a Honda S2000 and a Ford 5.0 Mustang. Both great cars, both have pros and cons. I’ve narrowed my search down to these two because; both are fun (in their own way), reliable, cheap to maintain/fix, and are relatively new cars (so I can pick one up with low miles). The Evo X is still in the back of my mind as an option, but they aren’t cheap to fix and I don’t really enjoy the way they look as much as the S2000. It still might be a car to consider. I'm afraid to add the Evo to the list as an option, because I feel like, to most people, it trumps the S2000 in every way.

What are my intentions for my next car? It will be a daily driver (think 12-15 thousand miles a year), that will occasionally be autocrossed/tracked. I’ve never done any type of tracking before, so I figured the S2000 would be a good car to learn in.

I’ve driven both, and honestly I enjoyed the S2000 over the Mustang just because of its nimble feel and superb handling. Also, since I’m still young and don’t have a family, now might be a good time to own a completely impractical 2 seater with a tiny trunk. The Mustang felt very boring to drive. I feel like the glorious feel of the S2000 may be short lived, and I will end up craving more power. That’s where the 5.0 comes into play. That 5-liter V8 is no joke, making 420 crank horse power completely stock. Throw on a full exhaust, intake, and tune and you will net another 80-100 crank horsepower (approximately). A supercharger kit to make 600+ wheel horsepower only runs around $5,000, and the stock block is fully capable of handling the power.

The S2000 (in my opinion) has better looks, a nicer interior, MUCH better handling, and is a good amount cheaper. The Mustang is faster, and…uglier, although they can look pretty good with lots of mods. Also, you see Mustangs on the road all day every day, whereas S2000s are a bit harder to come by. The Mustang will have a warranty, whereas the S2000 won't.

No clue what to do, I’ve driven both and I’m still stuck. Any input is greatly appreciated. Figured here would be a good place to get an unbiased opinion.
    Daily: 2007 Montego Blue E92 335i - Stock
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I voted s2k, due to it being just a great all around car.

It looks great, and can look even better with very small cosmetic changes. It'll get much better gas mileage than the other two options. And, despite my first two pros, it still has a huge aftermarket and can be a very reliable track beast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    another vote for the s2k! lots of aftermarket support to do whatever you want
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mustang and a warranty...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All good choices. S2000 is used and a 2-seater. Evo and Mustang both are more usable. A V8 is a V8, no replacement for displacement.

I'd be happy with any of them although the Evo is boy racer. The Mustang has an antiquated rear end. The S2000 isn't as usable.

It comes down to your daily needs.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    All good choices. S2000 is used and a 2-seater. Evo and Mustang both are more usable. A V8 is a V8, no replacement for displacement.

I'd be happy with any of them although the Evo is boy racer. The Mustang has an antiquated rear end. The S2000 isn't as usable.

It comes down to your daily needs.
    Not having any room in the S2000 doesn't bother me one bit. I always have access to my parents vehicles if a situation arises where I do need the space. Also, the 5.0's rear seats are basically useless for holding people anyway. I sat back there (I'm 6'1'') and my head was touching the glass. I imagine if I was back there and we hit a bump hard enough, I could crack my skull, or the rear windshield, or both! The Evo would be more practical as far as room goes, but I don't need room.

Between the S2000 and 5.0, both are pretty good on gas mileage. Especially the V8 in the Mustang, man does that thing do well for itself. Compare it to the gas mileage of an E9X M3. Hah!

Basically I have to figure out if I want to sacrifice looks and handling for power. This is where you guys come in and help me decide Click here to enlarge All my friends say S2000, but then again, none of my friends care about power.
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EDM92 Click here to enlarge
    lso, the 5.0's rear seats are basically useless for holding people anyway
    True but it does offer more interior space.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EDM92 Click here to enlarge
    Basically I have to figure out if I want to sacrifice looks and handling for power. This is where you guys come in and help me decide All my friends say S2000, but then again, none of my friends care about power.
    It's a toss up man, I really like both cars. The S2000 is more about fun factor, handling, and driver interaction whereas the Mustang is more about raw power and straight line speed as it won't be as nimble as you already stated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S2000....so gorgeous!

Click here to enlarge

Mustang ain't too bad either once it's all done up.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How is this decision even hard to make? the 5.0 all the way...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I voted evo

Why? because my brother has one and driving that thing is fun as all hell. Suspension is excellent on it and when you up the boost on it a bit boy does it become a blast to drive. Take the wing off and I think it becomes a lot classier looking than with the wing on. That would be my choice if I were you. Best of luck
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tough choice but I would go with the 5.0. The coyote powerplant is no joke. Aftermarket potential is immense for both cars; however, the ceiling is MUCH higher in the blue oval car.

The live axle can be tamed and can produce respectable auto-x/pdx numbers.

Evo's are neat but they fall in the boy-racer and boost-buggie category. Deal ender for me. Good choice to leave that car/chassis out of this race.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S2000 seems to be the popular choice...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    e46 m3 over everything

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ive owned two s2000s , DD them catches up to you and wears you out, space is SO LIMITED , over 6 foot passengers are suprcramped , its not a good daily driver.

having said that it is a sick car that handles great and is fun as any other car, as i owned two... but everyone i know has sold it in under a year if it was your DD

but here is a suggstion, the 5.0 is 30k, buy an 01-04 s2000 and get a nice DD (maybe an acord or e46, etc) , and use the s2000 on weekends and here and there, ull appreciate it so much more...

having said that, if I personally had to pick one for myslf its the 5.0, drop it on coils get lth tune and be done with it, its the first mustang ive drivn that dosnt feel like a 5,000 lb piece of steel
    Last edited by ChuckD05; 10-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Boosted s2k, or 5.0. The evo x is cool to but eh.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I almost sold my 335i last month. My two choices for new cars were actually the same as yours minus the S2000. i have kids so I need a back seat. I've always wanted an evo but after spending some time on the evo forums I was leaning toward the 5.0. My buddy just ordered his new custom built 5.0 for $34k. Not bad for a brand new car. The 5.0 already has so many bolt on parts and they're dirt cheap. I've never been a honda guy so I don't know anything about S2000. I know they're good looking cars that can be really fast. So are evos though. you slap an FP red on it with supporting mods and you have 500 AWP. With that being said, you'll need a lot of supporting mods to support the 500 AWHP without breaking something. I still kind of want one but not sure I'd want to DD it. If you're looking for fun, fast, cheap, reliable and DDable I'd go mustang.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S2000's are crazy fun to drive but that car will kill you if you DD it. No traction control, driving in the rain can be downright scary - you always have to be in super defensive driver mode.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge