Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Questions about Weistec aka Whipple Superchargers for M156/C63

I'm very interested in both of these products but have been having trouble finding technical data on them. I have managed to find that Whipple makes the head units for them so now I know the W140AX (2.3L) and W175AX (2.9L) flow characteristics and reliability. I have some questions about the remaining portions of kit itself.

I come from a community where there are only two supercharger options (much like this one) so efficiency is key, and we were able to optimize my personal 1.9L TVS supercharger on a 6.0L motor make mid 700 RHWP, more than the 2.3L alternative. I collected a ton (50+ pages) of data with my own personal car and have now moved on from that car to the AMG community.

Please do not misconstrue this as any type of flaming, this post is for serious technical discussion and with any help owners of these superchargers can benefit more and potential owners can be more educated.

That being said...

- Has anyone explored intake tract restrictions? This is one of the biggest power killers of twin screw superchargers and fuel economy. It is easy to test by measuring vacuum at the intake path while at wide open throttle, any thing less than 100-105 kPa is a restriction.

- How is the intercooler core inside of the lower manifold positioned? How much of the intake ports are obstructed by it? Is there a phoenielic insulator to prevent heat transfer from the engine to the head unit?

- What size is the pulley supplied and are both cogs 31T? Also is the pulley properly slotted to prevent belt slip?

- Is the crank pinned? What other precautions are taken for belt slip?

I'm sure I have more questions, I will add them as time goes on. Hopefully this information will lead to more supercharged M156 owners in the future and making the existing kits more powerful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Rather than show us emails of how you went to their supplier (presumably without Weistec's knowledge), can I ask the obvious question...why is this so important to you.

Now if you feel was so critical to go behind their back, what did Weistec say when you called them asking your questions as I presume you did that before posting here.
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I definitely think they have taken a good long look at the intake track.

Regarding belt slip, I never experienced any and from what I remember the pulley is slotted. I might be mistaken, was a while ago.

Let's see what @Weistec has to say.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
    Rather than show us emails of how you went to their supplier (presumably without Weistec's knowledge)
    Every tuner buys their units from someone so it really isn't some huge secret. Anyone can pretty much figure it out who uses who.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rather than show us emails of how you went to their supplier (presumably without Weistec's knowledge), can I ask the obvious question...why is this so important to you.

Now if you feel was so critical to go behind their back, what did Weistec say when you called them asking your questions as I presume you did that before posting here.
    I am a supercharger nerd and horsepower hungry. I can't leave things alone and I have to make them better.

If something makes 600 HP, I want it to make 700, and then I start the quest for 800, and then I blow it up going for 900. It's just in my DNA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Every tuner buys their units from someone so it really isn't some huge secret. Anyone can pretty much figure it out who uses who.
    Agreed, my intent was not to discredit them, but to find out more information about the head unit itself. Whipple is an excellent manufacturer, one of my favorite actually which has only further peaked my interest in this kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Arthur...I am sure your a nice guy but your first email here set the stage...in a bad way.

Perhaps you could redeem yourself by telling us what you have, what you have done, and what kind of power you are making.

Weistec built my engine and of course pinned my crank. We are over 800 at the wheels and looking for more.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ArthurJGuy Click here to enlarge
    I am a supercharger nerd and horsepower hungry. I can't leave things alone and I have to make them better.

If something makes 600 HP, I want it to make 700, and then I start the quest for 800, and then I blow it up going for 900. It's just in my DNA.
    So why don't you buy a kit from Weistec and perfect it for all of us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Now that is a great idea!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Rather than show us emails of how you went to their supplier (presumably without Weistec's knowledge),
    is that wrong?
    these could be loaded questions, or just questions from an enthusiast. im not liking how defenesive everyone is on the MB boards

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    is that wrong?
    these could be loaded questions, or just questions from an enthusiast. im not liking how defenesive everyone is on the MB boards
    I still think he works for either pro charger or a similar co. He does not even have 6 or 7 posts yet he is telling us how much he knows. I am still waiting to see this application he has built which is so efficient.

Come on man, come clean and show us something you have done
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

is that wrong?
    It can lead to unintended consequences.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I still think he works for either pro charger or a similar co. He does not even have 6 or 7 posts yet he is telling us how much he knows. I am still waiting to see this application he has built which is so efficient.

He is from a domestic background and owns some Las Vegas domestic muscle websites.

I don't think he has a Mercedes or 63 AMG for that matter.

A search on him reveals plenty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Las Vegas...that explains it all.

Seriously though, he talks a big game but shows nothing which to me is just another wantabee.

Your building a car, you know what I am doing to my car and then we have this guys who has proven squat.

Btw we are having a bottle of 87 opus...down to one case.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Btw we are having a bottle of 87 opus...down to one case.
    Very nice. I would definitely not hold on to that case for too much longer, it should be on the back end of its lifespan. Drink up!

Opus always impresses. Maybe too expensive for what it is but you know you are getting a quality wine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Arthur...I am sure your a nice guy but your first email here set the stage...in a bad way.

Perhaps you could redeem yourself by telling us what you have, what you have done, and what kind of power you are making.

Weistec built my engine and of course pinned my crank. We are over 800 at the wheels and looking for more.
    My first post had quite a bit of frustration in it after being ignored by Weistec on another MB forum. I have not mentioned my previous car because it is not an MB so it is not really relevant here. Different motors, different platforms. The fundamentals however are the same, air in air out and efficiently.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Precisely why I started asking questions.

is that wrong?
    I tend to agree

Nope, I do not work in the automotive field at all, it is just a hobby of mine. PS did you miss that I said Whipple was my favorite head unit and that my interest is in positive displacement blowers?

I wasn't aware that post count related to knowledge, but feel free to google my screen name as others have already done and you'll find tens of thousands of posts that should make you sleep better at night.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    He is from a domestic background and owns some Las Vegas domestic muscle websites.

I don't think he has a Mercedes or 63 AMG for that matter.

A search on him reveals plenty.
    Correct on all counts. A search also reveals my many past accomplishments specifically related to positive displacement superchargers, just this month my (former) car was in GM High Tech Performance magazine. My screen name is the same everywhere, I'm not hard to find and have nothing to hide. I just recently started parting that car out and will be picking up the AMG to replace it by years end.

(The modifications and dyno numbers are old)
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by ArthurJGuy; 09-26-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Precisely why I started asking questions.
    Are you serious? You really are thinking about taking their kit and "improving" upon it somehow?

Why? You don't even have the car? What is your motivation here? You seem to be poking your nose where it isn't your business.

Correct on all counts. A search also reveals my many past accomplishments
    I think we have different standards for what is considered an accomplishment. I think things like being the first to supercharge the M156, get CARB certification, and having the world's fastest Mercedes are accomplishments.

Changing or modifying the the blower on a domestic car is honestly nothing special especially on an LSX and guys do it while chugging beer in their garage.

I just recently started parting that car out and will be picking up the AMG to replace it by years end.
    That's great, so obviously you want to learn about the options for these motors. I think you should definitely go about it differently and not demand answers or start contacting suppliers and posting personal correspondence with those same suppliers who have agreements with tuners simply because you feel like you were ignored.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why? Because there is never ever enough power.

Sticking my nose where it doesn't belong? Do I need someone's permission on the internet to modify a car as a hobby?

Ha ha at it being nothing special. Where are all these guys that do it chugging beer in their garage because it took me a long 3 year road and it has yet to be duplicated by ANYONE, even the ones that tried to copy me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Why? Because there is never ever enough power. Sticking my nose where it doesn't belong? Do I need someone's permission on the internet to modify a car as a hobby?
    No but you did the wrong thing barging in demanding answers, taking it upon yourself to contact suppliers and then post that info publicly when you knew it wasn't publicly disclosed, and then saying you want to take someone's kit and modify it. If I were Weistec I wouldn't sell you a kit at this point.

Ha ha at it being nothing special. Where are all these guys that do it chugging beer in their garage because it took me a long 3 year road and it has yet to be duplicated by ANYONE, even the ones that tried to copy me.
    Probably because everyone else didn't care about pushing a TVS and instead used other setups or went turbo and blew your numbers away.

Regardless, I think we can all agree a positive displacement LSX hardly is anything to pat yourself on the back about as if that makes you an expert on supercharged M156 motors. I think you need to calm down the rhetoric and self-promotion a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haha, great answer to a question that you have no answer for. I wasn't aware that Weistec had some restriction on not changing anything else on the engine once their kit was installed.

It's not self-promotion, it's justification because instead of discussing technical information about engines and superchargers I am fielding repetitive inquisitions.

If you slowed down on the assault, there would be no need for the rhetoric.

PS, I've been just as involved in 4v DOHC V8's as I have LSX's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If you slowed down on the assault, there would be no need for the rhetoric.
    Take your own advice. I strongly encourage it at this point.

If you had introduced yourself and behaved differently I think you would see a different response from the community.

Regardless, if you wish to have a technical discussion by all means. Let's focus on that... starting right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Thank you for sharing your GTO article...see that wasn't so hard.

Joe agreed on the wine. Opus used to mean something before mondavi was taken over. After the takeover, the yield per acre went up by over 20% which is either through different and costly growing procedures or by 'watering down' to make more money....guess which route was taken!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Joe agreed on the wine. Opus used to mean something before mondavi was taken over. After the takeover, the yield per acre went up by over 20% which is either through different and costly growing procedures or by 'watering down' to make more money....guess which route was taken!
    I visited the winery a few years ago and they are continuing to expand. I guess the demand is there but at the volumes they are taking it to it will be difficult match the quality of the serious producers in Napa.

Still, I'd never turn down a bottle of Opus and it is a very fine wine. I'll give them credit for innovating essentially convincing people they were producing a French First Growth caliber wine in the USA and people bought it.

Heh, just a taste of the wine ran $30 last time I was there and bottles were $175. I buy my bottles for $100 each...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Hmmm...and I always thought Lysholm supplied Weistec with their blower units, but what do I know? This D bag didn't do much research or he would have figured that out, it's been out there as public knowledge and duscussed on several forums in numerous threads for over a year now. Click here to enlarge

Leave to some know it all douchebag to come out of the woodwork and be an "expert". Hey Arthur, happy tuning.....LMFAO!

Here you go Dick Tracy http://www.lysholm.us/superchargers.php
    Last edited by JRCART; 09-27-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

I've got a few magazine articles under my belt as well, a couple TV shows features as well, you ever make the cover and a 5 page spread or just a paragraph and a tiny photo?

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast