Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38
    Rep Points
    141.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge

    3rd gear, maybe 50 ish? @kthxbye do you know?
    At least for me it was 3rd and I think we started at 45MPH

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,824
    Rep Points
    31,567.1
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Supercharged DCT E92 M3 versus tuned Nissan GT-R - ESS VT1 535 SC M3 with meth versus Cobb tuned GT-R from a roll

    The Nissan GT-R is a very tough opponent and currently one of the most popular tuner platforms out there. The M3 has the disadvantage of not having turbos but makes up for it with a larger displacement motor having a wider powerband. What many people forget is the M3 is lighter than the GT-R, rear wheel drive, and also features a dual clutch transmission with tight gearing. With equal power the M3 actually will have the advantage from a roll but obviously the GT-R is a monster from a stop thanks to the traction afforded by its all wheel drive.

    Click here to enlarge

    In the video below the race shows the M3's strength which is the top end especially with a centrifugal blower like the one used in the ESS VT1 kit which builds boost with revs. The ESS supercharger kit is modified with a higher boost pulley (about 6 psi) and supplemented with meth injection. The GT-R features exhaust modifications including a mid pipe and a Cobb OTS 93 octane tune.

    The GT-R gets the jump but the M3 is able to reel it in and pass at higher speeds. From a stop on the street, the GT-R would likely build too large of a lead thanks to the all wheel drive for the M3 to overcome on street tires. On the highway though, the M3 proves how capable of a platform it can be. Enjoy the race, the GT-R is not unbeatable.


  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,824
    Rep Points
    31,567.1
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Lol at always justifying an M3 over the GTR. GTR is much better and with the proper setup would kill you all day every day
    No one is justifying it, people just underestimate the M3. It's lighter, rear wheel drive, and with a big blower can take down a good number of high powered cars on the highway. Really, the only thing it lacks is all wheel drive traction but it makes up for it by being the superior driver's car. It doesn't drive you.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38
    Rep Points
    141.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No one is justifying it, people just underestimate the M3. It's lighter, rear wheel drive, and with a big blower can take down a good number of high powered cars on the highway. Really, the only thing it lacks is all wheel drive traction but it makes up for it by being the superior driver's car. It doesn't drive you.
    I'll take the run as it is, but I learned today that I may have been running 2 degrees less timing due to some bad gas. When going at it my boost gauge was flashing, at the time I did not know what that meant and attributed it to the cobb, turns out that the flashing boost gauge is the knock indicator.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,824
    Rep Points
    31,567.1
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kthxbye Click here to enlarge
    I'll take the run as it is, but I learned today that I may have been running 2 degrees less timing due to some bad gas. When going at it my boost gauge was flashing, at the time I did not know what that meant and attributed it to the cobb, turns out that the flashing boost gauge is the knock indicator.
    No worries man, cars can always get stronger or tuned better.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38
    Rep Points
    141.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No worries man, cars can always get stronger or tuned better.
    I see this as an excuse to run again Click here to enlarge

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Points
    2,097.2
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The sounds of the exhaust at 1:25 is awesome. Had to listen to that a few times.

    Good run.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Points
    2,097.2
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    being the superior driver's car. It doesn't drive you.
    Lol!! While the only reason I wouldn't own a GTR is because of no MT, this statement is a little bold, I'd say; considering how the M3 gets destroyed in every category (and the price isn't that far off).

    I hear you though (mostly).
    Change is constant

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,824
    Rep Points
    31,567.1
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Lol!! While the only reason I wouldn't own a GTR is because of no MT, this statement is a little bold, I'd say; considering how the M3 gets destroyed in every category (and the price isn't that far off).

    I hear you though (mostly).
    The better driver's car does not equal the one that puts up the better performance numbers.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Wow was not expecting that at all !

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kthxbye Click here to enlarge
    I see this as an excuse to run again Click here to enlarge
    LOL, like we need an excuse Click here to enlarge

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    177
    Rep Points
    213.5
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kthxbye Click here to enlarge
    At least for me it was 3rd and I think we started at 45MPH
    Dam, LM that's way too low for a super M against a strong boosted car. You need to get up to at least 6500rpm before you honk. I know it's a short stint before you have to shift and wheelspin & rev-limiters might get in the way, but it is MUCH MUCH worse to roll in the mid-range. If you roll from 6500 you will get into the powerband and stay there & will make a big difference to the race. Even if you short shift a tad in 2nd to avoid the limiter.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    i dunno, later that same night i tried it both ways against @mrsqueeze and @Sledgehammer. traction just wasnt there, and if it was, the rev limit was tapped. No doubt i need to practice a bit more, but all my runs were in 3rd gear from a 45ish roll, some cars i pull, some I dont

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I would think you would have traction bro based on the tire size/compound those are decently sticky tires. I was in 2nd gear for all of my runs and the car jumps. In my mind from the higher roll speed/rpm for your benefit you may accelerate more smoothly with no traction issues.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    I would think you would have traction bro based on the tire size/compound those are decently sticky tires. I was in 2nd gear for all of my runs and the car jumps. In my mind from the higher roll speed/rpm for your benefit you may accelerate more smoothly with no traction issues.

    i tried it vs the evo, just wasnt happening. BUT, IIRC,it was like 50* out , and I know tire pressure is at like 40 right now.. i may have to drop it down

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The tire pressure drop should help and it was right around 54/55 degrees thats true. I held traction going WOT in 2nd gear spun one time and let out but it was on a concrete section of highway, on asphalt I had no problems.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yet another great video, thread, and article!

    I like the atmosphere around here. No bashing or negativity. Just pure fun...

    Keep it up LostMarine...I can't wait for you to pick up a couple more psi Click here to enlarge

    Is that 40psi tire pressure measured when cold or hot?
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,824
    Rep Points
    31,567.1
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i dunno, later that same night i tried it both ways against @mrsqueeze and @Sledgehammer . traction just wasnt there, and if it was, the rev limit was tapped. No doubt i need to practice a bit more, but all my runs were in 3rd gear from a 45ish roll, some cars i pull, some I dont
    Where you start RPM wise is everything. Leaving a lot on the table. Stop running pussy tires.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    685
    Rep Points
    757.3
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I know two time's vs LM I started in 2 gear around 5000 rpm's maybe a little more not sure with the new gears I have in the car still learning them. My Peak torque is right around there turbo' I get some wheel spin then I shifted to 3 and 4 gear.

    The one time I tried 3 gear for the hell of hit VS @Sledgehammer @LostMarine it didn't work out to good. I was able to past LM but Sledgehammer was out.

    I don't know how the M3 is geared but I would think it would need to be higher than 4500 rpm's.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @LostMarine what tires are those again? Pilot Sports? 285 or 295 width?

    The Vette is running Nitto Invos sized 304/30/19 on 19x11 wheels... I'm rolling in 2nd gear at around 4K for those runs and at that rpm I am making 520lb-ft per the dyno sheets I have. I am seeing almost no spin, if yourre seeing spin I would suspect the tires are the issue as your peak tq doesnt hit 400lb-ft if I am correct?

    I saw me you @Mr.Squeeze all get together sometime this week and get a run in from a gear speed you choose. For instance running from 3rd gear in your sweet spot as that wont be the best place for our cars but we would all start in the same gear. That will highlight the real power curves and speed differences in each car. It would be interesting to see who pulls when, where & how IMO. Now if we could get @akh23456 to run that would be even more interesting.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,166
    Rep Points
    1,746.4
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    @LostMarine what tires are those again? Pilot Sports? 285 or 295 width?

    The Vette is running Nitto Invos sized 304/30/19 on 19x11 wheels... I'm rolling in 2nd gear at around 4K for those runs and at that rpm I am making 520lb-ft per the dyno sheets I have. I am seeing almost no spin, if yourre seeing spin I would suspect the tires are the issue as your peak tq doesnt hit 400lb-ft if I am correct?

    I saw me you @Mr.Squeeze all get together sometime this week and get a run in from a gear speed you choose. For instance running from 3rd gear in your sweet spot as that wont be the best place for our cars but we would all start in the same gear. That will highlight the real power curves and speed differences in each car. It would be interesting to see who pulls when, where & how IMO. Now if we could get @akh23456 to run that would be even more interesting.

    Hopefully we can get to maybe this weekend if he's free. Ill hit him up. Where in central jersey are you @Sledgehammer?
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully we can get to maybe this weekend if he's free. Ill hit him up. Where in central jersey are you @Sledgehammer ?
    Sent you a PM
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,274
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ahh here we go....ill be spectating again.....smh

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    685
    Rep Points
    757.3
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You know I am down Sunday is good for me since I will be down at Atco.

    I am down to do a run gear for gear and a set speed.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    im on 295/35/19 pilot sports. it was cold 38 psi to be exact.

    Its most likely driver error. its just very difficult witht he sound/honk situation, but if i close the valves, ill bang the revlimits for not knowing where i am in a gear as its too quite. ill practice some this week.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    I like the atmosphere around here. No bashing or negativity.Just pure fun...
    yup, the way we like it. if i was prepared, we would see some domestic "old school muscle" and jdm "new school hustle" on tape as well..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •