Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Limited Slip Differential for the CLK63 AMG

I wanted to install a locking diffrential for my CLK. I m kind of trying to choose betwwen the Quaife and the OS Giken. Is there a advantage/disadvantage between the two?
    Quaife:http://vosmotorsports.com/product_in...5563-p-14214Os
    Giken:http://store.nexternal.com/eurowerks...--p25.aspxwhen

replacing either of these, will there be a loss of high end top speed? I heard they increase acceleration but with an expense of losing a little top speed (correct me If I am wrong)Thank you
    Last edited by Fast Lane; 09-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    What CLK 63 do you have ? Black Series ? Shouldn't need to replace the dif in a BS, so I assume you have a CLK63 convert or you are in Europe and have a CLK63 coupe? I'd go with the Gikin unit. If it is the same ratio as OEM you won't lose any speed on the top end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Is it a CLK63 convertible?

The diff won't change your top speed unless you change the final drive. The acceleration should only change if it helps you put the power down more effectively. Your rate of acceleration will really be the same but the limited slip will help in turns and somewhat off the line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Does an AMG car come without a LSD?
    Does it need to be a Black Series to get one from Mercedes?
    Wow.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks guys for replying. I have a 2008 CLK BS. It does come with a limited slip diffrential, but from my understanding, and at least two performance shops told me, is that the factory LSD does not lock ٪100. Am I correct?

The Quaife helica or the Giken diffrentials should be better at locking and putting down power evenly to both wheels. I just don't know if I am going to lose top end speed. As Sticky mentioned, I should perhaps ask about the ratio?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fast Lane Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys for replying. I have a 2008 CLK BS. It does come with a limited slip diffrential, but from my understanding, and at least two performance shops told me, is that the factory LSD does not lock ٪100. Am I correct?

The Quaife helica or the Giken diffrentials should be better at locking and putting down power evenly to both wheels. I just don't know if I am going to lose top end speed. As Sticky mentioned, I should perhaps ask about the ratio?
    If it is the same final drive ratio you will not lose any top end speed.

I honestly see no reason for you to need to upgrade the diff as it is already an LSD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If it is the same final drive ratio you will not lose any top end speed.

I honestly see no reason for you to need to upgrade the diff as it is already an LSD.
    I think your correct. Looks like Ill stick with the factory LSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Just to throw an option to you, I have a Quaife rear end, custom axles and hubs along with a killer set of drag wheels for sale from my black series (my set up is only good for 1,000 power so I am exceed its design limits now). Everything has in total about 140 miles on them.

PM me if you are interested and I can give you more details.
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

You are correct that the factory unit does not lock 100% because it's setup for road racing. You don't want both rear wheels "locked" when going around corners unless you plan on drifting through every turn. Also, the CLK BS has re calibrated traction control (ESP) specifically engineered for the limited slip dif to allow for more power to be put down without TC interference. IIRC the CLK BS dif locks 30% on acceleration and 10% under braking. Going to a true "locker" would only be advised if you are using your car at the drag strip 100% of the time. The dif in the CLK BS is VERY heavy duty and I have yet to hear of anyone breaking one although I know Earl and Jim have upgraded theirs since they are now making ~1000hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

We looked at several options……and went with the OS Giken. Obviously this BS is different in a couple of significant ways. First, is the Xtrac 437 sequential. This is "direct connect" to the rear wheels - consequently, you can really feel the diff work. No torque converter to interfere. Secondly, to LZH's point, unless you are going to simply do 1/4 drags, a locker - or an LSD with an aggressive preload will really compromise how the car steers through corners….which is why the factory set up is pretty mild. The factory diffs are a tough unit. If you are a tweaker, go with the Giken and experiment with the set up. Its time consuming…..but rewarding when you get it set to your liking. Good luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I think your correct. Looks like Ill stick with the factory LSD
    There you go, now add power Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There you go, now add power Click here to enlarge
    You are a sick, sick individual Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Only if I convince him to go too far... like I did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Benz280SL Click here to enlarge
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

We looked at several options……and went with the OS Giken. Obviously this BS is different in a couple of significant ways. First, is the Xtrac 437 sequential. This is "direct connect" to the rear wheels - consequently, you can really feel the diff work. No torque converter to interfere. Secondly, to LZH's point, unless you are going to simply do 1/4 drags, a locker - or an LSD with an aggressive preload will really compromise how the car steers through corners….which is why the factory set up is pretty mild. The factory diffs are a tough unit. If you are a tweaker, go with the Giken and experiment with the set up. Its time consuming…..but rewarding when you get it set to your liking. Good luck.
    That thing must be so much fun to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That thing must be so much fun to drive.
    Yes it is.

With the chassis sorted, another 130HP to the rear wheels will be a game changer. The race engines will be done in November. Stay tuned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes it is.

With the chassis sorted, another 130HP to the rear wheels will be a game changer. The race engines will be done in November. Stay tuned.

Awesome stuff - can't wait to see how it does next season. So Sonoma was basically just a shake down race for you guys ? I see you have Evan working for you...he used to work for us at SigalSport a few years back - great guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Awesome stuff - can't wait to see how it does next season. So Sonoma was basically just a shake down race for you guys ? I see you have Evan working for you...he used to work for us at SigalSport a few years back - great guy.
    100% shakedown. It was about getting the chassis & electronics dialed, traction & launch control, diff set up, cooling packages and reliability. So many new systems to data log and evaluate…..stuff only reams of data can tell you. If you were at SigalSport….you obviously understand the complexity of electronics packages on these cars….and the critical role they play in optimizing performance. You'd also understand the feat in running a new platform every minute of every session…..and finishing on the lead lap. The team was great and Evan played an important role. He's a good man with a wealth of knowledge - old school. His mindset and work ethic from F1 fits squarely into out team model. Thanks for your interest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

LOL every time I read your sig..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Get the OS Giken. I have it on my C63. Car accelerates better and is quicker. You do lose top speed about 8 Km/hr. Its an excellent unit go for it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Portman Click here to enlarge
    Get the OS Giken. I have it on my C63. Car accelerates better and is quicker. You do lose top speed about 8 Km/hr. Its an excellent unit go for it
    Ouch someone got $#@! slapped back to the stone ages LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

100% shakedown. It was about getting the chassis & electronics dialed, traction & launch control, diff set up, cooling packages and reliability. So many new systems to data log and evaluate…..stuff only reams of data can tell you. If you were at SigalSport….you obviously understand the complexity of electronics packages on these cars….and the critical role they play in optimizing performance. You'd also understand the feat in running a new platform every minute of every session…..and finishing on the lead lap. The team was great and Evan played an important role. He's a good man with a wealth of knowledge - old school. His mindset and work ethic from F1 fits squarely into out team model. Thanks for your interest.
    100% - I spent many sleepless nights in motorhomes going over data and crunching numbers, changing setup on the cars...it's a never ending process. I actually think being a privateer team and car you have a much harder time getting it right as everything you build is from the group up and not proven. Whereas what we delt with from Porsche in the cup cars, BMW in the GT cars and Dinan for the DP cars were all existing electronics packages that were known quantities. You guys have your hands full and as you said, finishing on the lead lap your first outing is an achievement in and of itself.
    Evan brings alot to the table and his time with Arrows team, TRG and time in ALMS are all invaluable. Tell him I say hello and good luck in the off season.