Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

MotorTrend Tesla S acceleration numbers - 1/4 mile 12.5@110

This thing just keeps getting more and more impressive. Insideline got 12.6@108: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...mbers-12-6-108

MotorTrend managed mid 12's at 110. So, basically as quick as an E92 M3. Not bad at all but damn it's heavy:

2012 Tesla Model S P85
    BASE PRICE $105,400*
    PRICE AS TESTED $106,900*
    VEHICLE LAYOUT Rear-motor, RWD, 5-pass, 4-door hatchback
    MOTOR 416-hp/443-lb-ft AC electric
    TRANSMISSION 1-speed automatic
    CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 4766 lb (47/53%)
    WHEELBASE 116.5 in
    LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 196.0 x 77.3 x 56.5 in
    0-60 MPH 3.9 sec
    QUARTER MILE 12.5 sec @ 110.9 mph
    BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 105 ft
    LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.92 g (avg)
    MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.3 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)
    EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 88/90 mpg
    ENERGY CONS., CITY/HWY 38/37 kW-hrs/100 miles
    CO2 EMISSIONS 0.00 lb/mile (at car)
    *Before $7500 Federal Tax Credit

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

4800 lbs LOOLLLLLLLLLLL

GET

THE

F-CK

OUT

OF

HERE
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

But look at those numbers for that weight...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I saw one for the first time last Wednesday. They look pretty awesome. I'm surprised it's as fast as it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

EV's are joke. People are fooling themselves by thinking that EV's save the planet. Where does the electricity come from? Emmm, Mostly from burning coal. Now i skip the chemistry part in order not to make you sleepy and give you a this:

The amount of heat released in burning coal / The amount of released CO2 < The amount of heat released in burning gasoline (C8H18) / The amount of released CO2

What does this mean? It means if you are driving a Tesla Model S and thinking that you are making the penguins in the north pole happier, you should know that you only can do that by recharging your batteries by any power source expect coal. Otherwise, the penguins in the north pole have to live in an even hotter climate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    EV's are joke. People are fooling themselves by thinking that EV's save the planet. Where does the electricity come from? Emmm, Mostly from burning coal. Now i skip the chemistry part in order not to make you sleepy and give you a this:
    But if Nuclear energy is used...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But if Nuclear energy is used...
    That has it's own issues though plus in most countries around the world coal plays the big part of producing electricity.

My point is EV's aren't clean at all. Their batteries are harmful for the environment and more importantly the sources that batteries rely on, except a few, do pollute the environment and some of those sources pollute even more to travel your car from point A to point B than the gas or diesel powered engines to do the same distancee.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

That has it's own issues though plus in most countries around the world coal plays the big part of producing electricity.

My point is EV's aren't clean at all. Their batteries are harmful for the environment and more importantly the sources that batteries rely on, except a few, do pollute the environment and some of those sources pollute even more to travel your car from point A to point B than the gas or diesel powered engines to do the same distancee.
    I want to hear about the part of how much damage to the environment is done by the process of making these batteries.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I want to hear about the part of how much damage to the environment is done by the process of making these batteries.
    Not making them, disposing them does the damage. Not all the batteries get recycled.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    4800 lbs LOOLLLLLLLLLLL

GET

THE

F-CK

OUT

OF

HERE
    Yes sir...the fine folks at Tesla are following the lead of current M cars, in which the current philosophy seems to be, "Heavier is much better..."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blitz535i Click here to enlarge
    Yes sir...the fine folks at Tesla are following the lead of current M cars, in which the current philosophy seems to be, "Heavier is much better..."
    Come on, not fair. Tesla is doing all electric of course it will be heavy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blitz535i Click here to enlarge
    Not M to be exact. BMW is the responsible for this mess. The cars are too heavy to begin with. The 535i F10 is just a little lighter than the M5 E60!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Come on, not fair. Tesla is doing all electric of course it will be heavy.
    No, not a fair comparison since the Tesla is electric, but you get my intended barb at the M folks.

Not M to be exact. BMW is the responsible for this mess. The cars are too heavy to begin with. The 535i F10 is just a little lighter than the M5 E60!
    Yep...and I wonder where it all ends, and by that I mean if each successive generation of BMW cars gets heavier and heavier, will we have 5000 pound vehicles in the not too distant future? It will take some major HP increases to keep up with the fattening up of these vehicles, add to this we are in a time where engines need to be very fuel efficient, "green", etc. and you see the approaching wall BMW and other car makers are running head first into. No doubt why hybrid and electric technologies are being explored more and more...

I wonder if we'll ever see a N/A V-10 in an M car again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I agree with a lot of the issues mentioned above with EV, but wanted to point out a few things.

Right now (meaning today) - when a coal power plant produces electricity, it is operated (in most cases at peak efficiency). So, for example - considering there are not too many people with EV cars - when these people plug their car in to recharge, the power plant does not emit more bad emissions because there is an added load. They try to create more energy than is required on average - just in case of demand spikes/etc., as it's cheaper to produce some extra than to borrow from other facilities. However, if everyone moved to EV - it would be a bigger problem, as capacity would need to increase (supplemental plants are turned on, borrowed power, etc.). Point is, when person X plugs in their Tesla, the power plant doesn't start to burn more coal. If everyone switched to an EV - again, different story. Click here to enlarge Hopefully we work on more nuclear plants if this turns out to be the future.

I visited a really cool power plant that uses otherwise wasted power to its gain. During the night, when people are using much less power - they actually use the "wasted" excess power that is being produced from the plant. They use this extra energy during the night to pump water up from the lake into a giant reservoir. When the demand increases during the day (e.g. the next morning) - or when demand suddenly spikes, they reverse the flow - letting the water back out the reservoir - and run it through reversible turbines to spin a generator. In other words, they use the otherwise wasted energy created from their own efficient nuclear plant. I am explaining this from memory, but here is the place in Michigan that does this (if you want to learn more about Ludington MI's Pumped Storage Facility): http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?id=1830

This sums it up nicely: "This system may be economical because it flattens out load variations on the power grid, permitting thermal power stations such as coal-fired plants and nuclear power plants and renewable energy power plants that provide base-load electricity to continue operating at peak efficiency (Base load power plants), while reducing the need for "peaking" power plants that use the same fuels as many baseload thermal plants, gas and oil, but have been designed for flexibility rather than maximal thermal efficiency."

If you ever get a chance to check this place out, definitely do so. It's amazing to see how large of a reservoir they created - and if you can take the tour, do it.

The good thing about an electric car - is the efficiency. An engine is basically a glorified air pump, the motors that are on today's EV convert MUCH more of the "fuel" to energy (output/HP). Almost 60% of the fuel going into an engine is wasted through heat/pumping losses/friction/etc. - whereas a good, efficient motor wastes about 10-15%... So, yes - although the energy / CO2 emission of gasoline is higher than coal, the motor itself is much more efficient.

I personally don't think it's all perfect - nor do I ever see myself wanting an electric car. There are so many differing opinions on what is best for the environment - it's hard to know for sure what's right. However, I think with very efficient (nuclear?) power plants that do not emit much pollution - coupled with the highly efficient motors of an EV, we are taking steps in the right direction. Battery technology needs to improve - as do the cars, but I think we might start seeing some cool things in the future.

Here is an awesome video that shows all the "bad" things (from an environmental perspective) from the creation of a car/battery to the end of its lifetime. Highly recommended video (has an M3 in it) Click here to enlarge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w#t=214s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Side note, coming from the generation side for 15 years and still in the power industry:

1. Nukes generate 100% everyday they can. First priority as they do not like fluctuations.
    2. Coal fired plants are told to throttle back from time to time, depending on load. VERY easy to cut back on coal injected.
    3. Hydro, are often told to cut back, again depending on load. Again, gates open easy.

After working with the PUC for now 20 years, there will NEVER be enough eclectic cars to impact our grid system in my lifetime, FYI.

PS: Until the wife kills me, I expect to be around for some 40 years, LOL