Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Obama is the smallest government spender since Eisenhower?!

Trying to stay politically neutral on this one. I just thought it would be interesting to both sides it was posted by Forbes to...which I think all will agree usually fall on the conservative side of things.

Full article here

It’s enough to make even the most ardent Obama cynic scratch his head in confusion.

Amidst all the cries of Barack Obama being the most prolific big government spender the nation has ever suffered, Marketwatch is reporting that our president has actually been tighter with a buck than any United States president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.
    Who knew?
    Check out the chart –
    Click here to enlarge

So, how have the Republicans managed to persuade Americans to buy into the whole “Obama as big spender” narrative?
    It might have something to do with the first year of the Obama presidency where the federal budget increased a whopping 17.9% —going from $2.98 trillion to $3.52 trillion. I’ll bet you think that this is the result of the Obama sponsored stimulus plan that is so frequently vilified by the conservatives…but you would be wrong.
    The first year of any incoming president term is saddled—for better or for worse—with the budget set by the president whom immediately precedes the new occupant of the White House. Indeed, not only was the 2009 budget the property of George W. Bush—and passed by the 2008 Congress—it was in effect four months before Barack Obama took the oath of office.
    Accordingly, the first budget that can be blamed on our current president began in 2010 with the budgets running through and including including fiscal year 2013 standing as charges on the Obama account, even if a President Willard M. Romney takes over the office on January 20, 2013.
    So, how do the actual Obama annual budgets look?
    Courtesy of Marketwatch-

• In fiscal 2010 (the first Obama budget) spending fell 1.8% to $3.46 trillion.
    • In fiscal 2011, spending rose 4.3% to $3.60 trillion.
    • In fiscal 2012, spending is set to rise 0.7% to $3.63 trillion, according to the Congressional Budget Office’s estimate of the budget that was agreed to last August.
    • Finally in fiscal 2013 — the final budget of Obama’s term — spending is scheduled to fall 1.3% to $3.58 trillion. Read the CBO’s latest budget outlook.

No doubt, many will wish to give the credit to the efforts of the GOP controlled House of Representatives. That’s fine if that’s what works for you.
    However, you don’t get to have it both ways. Credit whom you will, but if you are truly interested in a fair analysis of the Obama years to date—at least when it comes to spending—you’re going to have to acknowledge that under the Obama watch, even President Reagan would have to give our current president a thumbs up when it comes to his record for stretching a dollar.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

damnit...sticky can you fix the title, I went dyslexic or something for a second.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

most of his stuff doesnt take effect until after the election..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    most of his stuff doesnt take effect until after the election..
    Bingo. Obamacare ramps up starting next year, and he's continued spending into oblivion on foreign wars at the same rate as Bush II.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    ...and he's continued spending into oblivion on foreign wars at the same rate as Bush II.
    But that would be counted already. And to be fair he canceled or ramped back many of the military's more expensive developments....most of them i was supposed to play with Click here to enlarge .
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You presume that folks respect data analysis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

These are percentages, you have to accept that Bush ramped up for and conducted two full scale wars with his increases. Obama's numbers are counted as % increase over Bush's numbers and the conflicts have been on a steep decline. He has managed to re-route the war funds in other directions and spend even more. This analysis is too simplistic to be meaningful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Obama out, Romney next please.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Obama out, Romney next please.
    What's the difference? Both are beholden to huge corporate donors. Romney wants to "repeal and replace" government healthcare, rather than just repeal. Certainly Romney would be better than Obama, but that's like saying a firing squad is better than the electric chair.
    Last edited by whoosh; 08-17-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: emphasis added
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    These are percentages, you have to accept that Bush ramped up for and conducted two full scale wars with his increases. Obama's numbers are counted as % increase over Bush's numbers and the conflicts have been on a steep decline. He has managed to re-route the war funds in other directions and spend even more. This analysis is too simplistic to be meaningful.
    Your totally right Forbes has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to money. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    What's the difference? Both are beholden to huge corporate donors. Romney wants to "repeal and replace" government healthcare, rather than just repeal. Certainly Romney would be better than Obama, but that's like saying a firing squad is better than the electric chair.
    To be honest the biggest difference I see when it comes to fiscal policy is that one thinks trickle down economic works, when most historical analysis has shown otherwise. But meh...each party will help and hurt different areas I am interested in.

Honestly either side can get $#@! done but only if they can get the rest of the government to work with them (obama's problem of late), if you can get either democrat or repulican president and majorities then $#@! gets accomplished.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

economics is only a small part of this, most freedom loveing amercians hate obama for his actions in violation of the constitution. But you have to admit, Romney has much more economic experience than Obama. I know O's $#@! wont work, so ill at least want something different on that, since RP isnt in the picture anymore.. which is probably a good thing. I dont think he stood a real chance at winning, and would only draw votes away, allowing O to claim victory

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Your totally right Forbes has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to money. Click here to enlarge
    They know about money, but the analysis you provided is a thin slice of the big picture. When Reagan expanded the budget, we had a roaring economy and it did not cause huge deficits. Buying a BMW is not a problem when you have the income to swing it. Buying one immediately after becoming unemployed is not as wise. And again, we are comparing one presidents increase over the previous president's budget. We are not considering how, or where, the money is being spent. Bush's budget was already way too big, for Bama to increase over that is a significant accomplishment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

economics is only a small part of this, most freedom loveing amercians hate obama for his actions in violation of the constitution. But you have to admit, Romney has much more economic experience than Obama. I know O's $#@! wont work, so ill at least want something different on that, since RP isnt in the picture anymore.. which is probably a good thing. I dont think he stood a real chance at winning, and would only draw votes away, allowing O to claim victory

This. Obama has had no real business experience..he has no idea how it works. not to mention when he was in congress, he barely voted on anything at all his entire time there.

Romney has experience, and know what it takes to make a business work and prosper...hint, dont tax the ever loving $#@! out of small businesses.

People complain that Romneycare in Mass. is the same as Obamacare...which in reality it isnt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I hateee talking politics.. I drafted a masssive message and didn't want to be the one taht wages a war so I will leave it at this.. Obama has not done anything appropriately productive for the U.S. when he has needed to (oh yeah lets throw 800+ billion at the banks as a quick band aid like always... LET THEM FAIL LIKE ANY OTHER FLAWED AND FAILED BUSINESS). His job is not to first fulfill his absurd campaign desires but to serve the country as need be (and add whatever campaign bs he can after the fact)... but that is the issue.. he is purely a politician.. he is an excellent speaker and can appeal to many very easily... complain about romney's background at bain... but why do you think people working in such an industry can make stupid amounts of money? They understand how the economy works from a multiple perspectives and have a sound understanding and thorough devotion to the fine numbers they analyze. From both a macro and micro perspective who the hell would you rather have running your gov??? It is afterall another form of business and easily the largest one operationally and financially I've heard of.. More importantly its 2012 and people still act as if such a "greedy" man were elected he'd just set up policies that benefited him and the upper class... This isn't the age of robber barons... Furthermore what people don't understand is that tax cuts for those with small business creates jobs.. Generally such businesses need more employeesto expand. How do they continue to hire more? Would you rather have a tax break that creates jobs or business who are reluctant to grow in an unstable economy not hiring because no one is stupid enough to take a loan to pay someone's salary. When it comes down to it I'm tired of politicians (public speakers who can talk a lot about nothing with no plan or real understanding of what they are talking about (and preach illogical nonsense to the less informed) being elected. Full disclosure: I'd almost always vote repub... I'd also have no problem voting for anyone as long as they were the appropriate candidate... Last point.. I would like to treat the govt like a totaled car.. Junk it write it off and start over because what we have going aint workin and in most regards is outdated. Wrote a lot more than I expected for a few little points lol

But yeah that Forbes data means nothing to me simply because you usually can't compare those sets of data.. One funded a war and the one we are comparing is following that presidency. To make this a good comparison you would have to factor inflation and compare similar presidents.. Eisenhower and Obama (which were in the title) while not perfectly complementary would be a better comparison. I'll give another example.. Would a comparison of FDR and Obama be appropriate? Or would it make more sense to compare FDR and W. Busch? While not perfectly correlated I'd hope you'd still say the latter..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

economics is only a small part of this, most freedom loveing amercians hate obama for his actions in violation of the constitution.
    Such as...?

...Don't all people, never mind all Americans, love freedom?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Such as...?

such as... giving 800 biillion no... forcing 800 billion of taxpayer dollars on banks some of which were failling some had no need. Banks are not federally operated for-profit institutions therefore taxpayer dollars should not be distributed to these. Oh also taking a private sector (health care) and deeming it public.. a big no no. Side note.. Do you think you'll have the best crop of surgeons working on a gov salary?

I love freedom - but we don't have anything near it (not pointing at Obama, just sayinn)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ssharma Click here to enlarge
    such as... giving 800 biillion no... forcing 800 billion of taxpayer dollars on banks some of which were failling some had no need. Banks are not federally operated for-profit institutions therefore taxpayer dollars should not be distributed to these. Oh also taking a private sector (health care) and deeming it public.. a big no no. Side note.. Do you think you'll have the best crop of surgeons working on a gov salary?

I love freedom - but we don't have anything near it (not pointing at Obama, just sayinn)
    Ummmmm No. What gave you that idea?

Obama didn't bail out the banks. Bush did, he enacted TARP signed the bank bailout into law and bailed out the auto industry. Obama did pass a second stimulus plan which worked to some extent. As far as the stimulus goes...I think there are better ways to boost the economic recovery, in fact I think plans like it only serve to draw out the recession. That being said, the stimulus Bush passed before it was nearly identical.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Obama didn't bail out the banks. Bush did, he enacted TARP signed the bank bailout into law and bailed out the auto industry. Obama did pass a second stimulus plan which worked to some extent. As far as the stimulus goes...I think there are better ways to boost the economic recovery, in fact I think plans like it only serve to draw out the recession. That being said, the stimulus Bush passed before it was nearly identical.

throwing money at the problem doesnt solve it. All it does is drag us down more. Hmm I dont know where to start..but I guess with this. This generation of people is really whats making it so hard to overcome where we are at. Its a society where everyone expects to be handed something for free, we are engorged in social media, technology, drama, etc. All most people care about these days is whats on MTV, the Kardashians, whatever other nonsense garbage that people want to put their noses into.

The other thing is that this generation is EXTREMELY lazy. No one wants to work. Everyone wants to sit on their asses and collect a paycheck...hey instead of working hard and maybe fail (and not become successful and be wealthy), i'll just be a fat lazy $#@! and achieve mediocrity....hey as long as someone else is workin for my money, I dont care. This plays right into Obama's wants to allow the gov't to control EVERYTHING, and provide everything for them. And since people think 'hey free stuff from Obama! I want!', they will go right for it...after all, who doesnt want something for free......except when it is ever free without something in return is what most people fail to realize.

I guess Im one that thinks outside the box, I dont like gov't meddling in my business, I like to go out and achieve goals, but its scaring me to see that even some of my best friends after all these years are all for what Obama wants to do. Do some reading, listen to AM radio stations (conservative radio teaches common sense, not political slander), and you will be surprised what crazyiness goes on around the country.

If anyone wants to figure out the basics to why Romney refuses to show his tax returns, or why the Dems scream he has all this money and doesnt pay taxes, go read 'Millionaire Next Door'. Great book, and teaches you all about what being wealthy really means. I'll give you a hint, its not the fancy cars, the yachts, the luxurious clothes and mansions, its your average next door neighbor who lives in a modest suburban house, drive 2 American made cars, and has a net worth of 3-5 million. It teaches you how to save your money, how to invest in tax free bonds and such, how to keep that money YOURS. Afterall, its perfectly legal to put your money offshore, tax free. YOU can do it too, so why must Obama whine and complain that hes not payin his taxes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Lol doh moment on my part.. Yes TARP was signed by Bush not Obama..

TARP was limited to $471 billion however whereas Obama's follow up stimulus went well north of $800b. $370 billion of which went to highway/bridge projects.. TARP at least addressed the cause of the issue (I don't agree with TARP).. but the second stimulus package was unfounded and didn't solve anything.. It just threw away taxpayer dollars.. TARP funding at least had a potential for some return and the TARP funding was to be returned. Obama's stimulus only fostered a band aid solution to unemployment.. That's the problem why are you using 800 billion dollars for a temporary solution that doesn't even work? Cut 800 billion in taxes and that will create full-time jobs and foster sustainable growth...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My view is simple... Conservatives, I mean the true hardcore conservatives. They hate a bi-racially mixed POTUS. They have tried everything from birth certificate issue to using his middle Hussein like its a crime to acussing him of being Muslim like its a crime. Or saying his doesn't believe in American Exceptionalism or his wife is ashamed of America.

At the end of the day if you have real proposals and philosophical differences then lets talk facts and lets compare apples to apples. NO POTUS is perfect, NONE.

The GOP has made a lifestyle out of saying NO and and no compromising and/or bashing Obama. But has done little to make my life better. Politics has become BS, you have these Super Pacs doing stuff, these talking heads on TV shows and all this tension within the US.

I want two parties that can compromise, accomplish great things and keep us fiscally solvent. While maintaining our borders, educating our children and caring for our seniors. Find a $#@!ing balance and get it done. This ain't rocket science it's called COMPROMISE and life is full of it.

To me it doesn't matter whether you're and Independent, Democrat or Republican you can't genuinelybe pleased with either the Senate or the House. Neither has done $#@! under either party IMO.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

im sorry, but you cant bring race into this, at least not from only one side. This is evident in recent events. "puttin ya'll back in chains" ? The POTUS is trying to divide instead of unite. You have commentary now claiming romney is "$#@!izing" obama as the angry black man.. Its hard to label me a racist, as i think anyone in the combat arms will agree, those of us who do what we do are brothers, often thicker than blood. But we talk all the time, and my boys are honest, They did, and will continue to vote for Obama because he is black. Not saying everyone does, or does not based on race, but it goes both ways

If he and his policies and actions are/were working, his campaign shouldnt be anywhere near as negative as it is. A successful person can say "this is what i was given, here's what i have done, here is how its going" but no, we dont get that, we get "vote for romney and you'll get cancer"

per birth certificate, where is it? what name was he born with, barry soetoro, why the name change? sooooooo many issues with that that dont get media coverage..his background doesnt add up man.

Do i think romney will be great? no, but i dont think he is a "savior", im sure you've heard that term thrown around recently. Noone other than RP, or someone inline with his intentions will be.. But again, A greater chance of success with romney over obama.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    NO POTUS is perfect, NONE.
    +1

I have criticized every president that we have had during my adult lifetime (starting with Carter) for decisions they have made, things that they have done or failed to do, but this is the first time that I have EVER been called a racist for criticizing a president (and I am technically not white). I am not criticizing this president for being black, I am criticizing him for attempting to turn this country in a socialist direction. Nothing concerning race here but I have still been called a racist for my views. It appears that, suddenly, I am not allowed to criticize my president because he happens to be half-black. That is pure bull$#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Such as...?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    My view is simple... Conservatives, I mean the true hardcore conservatives. They hate a bi-racially mixed POTUS. They have tried everything from birth certificate issue to using his middle Hussein like its a crime to acussing him of being Muslim like its a crime. Or saying his doesn't believe in American Exceptionalism or his wife is ashamed of America.

At the end of the day if you have real proposals and philosophical differences then lets talk facts and lets compare apples to apples. NO POTUS is perfect, NONE.

The GOP has made a lifestyle out of saying NO and and no compromising and/or bashing Obama. But has done little to make my life better. Politics has become BS, you have these Super Pacs doing stuff, these talking heads on TV shows and all this tension within the US.

I want two parties that can compromise, accomplish great things and keep us fiscally solvent. While maintaining our borders, educating our children and caring for our seniors. Find a $#@!ing balance and get it done. This ain't rocket science it's called COMPROMISE and life is full of it.

To me it doesn't matter whether you're and Independent, Democrat or Republican you can't genuinelybe pleased with either the Senate or the House. Neither has done $#@! under either party IMO.
    Preach it.

Can't argue with any of this, completely agree in fact. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast