Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Weighed My C63 P31 = 3,880 lbs

I put my car on a vehicle scale and it weighed 3,880 lbs with exactly 1/4 tank of gas. I was not in the car when it was weighed.

These are the factors that affect my vehicle's current weight:

1. 8 lbs less for lighter engine internals (P31).
    2. Slightly lighter OEM front rotors compared to non-P31 1-piece rotors.
    3. 31 lbs less from C/F hood
    4. Non-leather seats with no power forward/backward. It's manual. So, no forward/backward motor under the front seats. Took a while to get used to, but I like the weight savings.

This is how I will make it lighter:

1. 14 lbs less from C/F trunk
    2. Evosport rotors front/rears (From a non-P31 there is a 40 lbs savings, but less of a savings from a P31 because of the slightly lighter front rotors).
    3. 40 lbs less when I remove the spare/tools/foam
    4. Lighter battery. I don't know if I want to use the 15 lbs one, but maybe something that is a little heavier but is more usable for daily driving. Still, more than 25-30 lbs savings right there.
    5. 4 lbs for rear head rests, 6 lbs for floor mats, 1-2 lbs for owner's manuals bundle. = 12 lbs

So, I anticipate my car with 1/4 tank of gas (and me not inside) will weigh 3,759 lbs when I finish the rest of the plan. I have the trunk and rotors, just waiting to install.

* Call me crazy, but I'm even tempted to remove the window washer fluid if it's close to 1-gallon. I don't use it and I don't plan on using it. But, I'm wondering if a CEL will come on. And I can even drop a couple gallons of gas for tracking the car.

What's the point in all of this if I'm not going for record times at the track? I just like the idea of having a lighter car.

Also, one of the other main reasons I weighed my car was because I am going to start using the Torque Android APP and I want the calibration to be as accurate as possible.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very informative! I have never considered removing my rear head rests, I think I'll add it to the list. I'm 99.9% sure you will see some type of CEL for your washer fluid..

Now if only I could strip my beast down to match your weight.. I'll keep dreaming! Haha

-TZ
    09' M3 AA Gen 2 Level 2 S/C
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    01' C5 Z06- White, FBO+Cam
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    08' E82 135i- Sapphire Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' E90 335i 6-Speed- Blk
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Blk Raven
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, the rear head rest trick... It's hot rodding at its finest. haha

I just figure make the most use of the power that I have.

Edit: I wonder if I can clear the potential CEL light from taking out window washer fluid with the Torque App. If so, I wonder if you have to constantly do it. Probably not worth it. But, something to consider.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Weight is not too bad but be careful regarding going too light on the battery. These cars have electronics that make it difficult to go lightweight in this area.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Weight is not too bad but be careful regarding going too light on the battery. These cars have electronics that make it difficult to go lightweight in this area.
    True.

I'd like to think there is a happy medium between the lightest offering and the stock battery.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    True.

I'd like to think there is a happy medium between the lightest offering and the stock battery.
    Get the Lithim Battery. You wont Lose Amperage and it weighs around 12 lbs. It is for $1300

You could also go with lighter wheels. the 18inch set from Forgestar weigh about 8lbs less per wheel. 1 lbs Weight savings in unsprung mass is equivalent to 4 lbs of veachile weight in terms of body weight.
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    Get the Lithim Battery. You wont Lose Amperage and it weighs around 12 lbs. It is for $1300

You could also go with lighter wheels. the 18inch set from Forgestar weigh about 8lbs less per wheel. 1 lbs Weight savings in unsprung mass is equivalent to 4 lbs of veachile weight in terms of body weight.
    Thanks for the tip for the lithium battery. That would be a great addition. It's out of my budget though. The wheels are another tried and true addition for these cars. Definitely would be good to add to the rotors for unsprung weight savings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nice weight
    my car with 1/4 gas came in at 3910lbs stock everything without the junk in the trunk.
    15lb batt you can use but not for DD, for DD you want th 17lb one and you will save u self 48lbs
    rear seats and pass seat are worth about 130lb and a spacaro race seat will save u another 50lbs but you can't adjust the steering wheel and once u take the seats out u will get a airbag light.
    As for the fluid u won't get a CEL.

If someone really wants they can get a c63 down to under 3500lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cf hood 34
    cf trunk 14
    rotors 40
    headers mids 11
    race exhaust 50
    race seat 50
    15lb batt 50
    pass seat 65
    rear seats top bottom floor mats 60
    drag set up rear wheels and skinnies 70

total =444lbs from 3910 like my car=3466

c63 with good tune and headers and race exhaust puts down around 500-510rw sae

stock c63 375rw 3910lbs Power to weight =10.42
    p31 cars put down around 410rw 3910=9.53
    410rw 3466=8.45
    above mods on c63 500rw Power to weight =6.93

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mistake up there the race exhaust only saves 30lbs not 50

@Sticky why can't I edit my posts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I installed the 21 lbs battery, which is still about a 40 lb weight savings, and it's been holding up really well. I've let it sit for 2 weeks while on vacation and it started right back up when I got home. I would say you have about 8-10 engine starts with this battery if you did them consecutively.
    C63 w/ MHP LT headers and tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mthis Click here to enlarge
    Nice weight
    my car with 1/4 gas came in at 3910lbs stock everything without the junk in the trunk.
    15lb batt you can use but not for DD, for DD you want th 17lb one and you will save u self 48lbs
    rear seats and pass seat are worth about 130lb and a spacaro race seat will save u another 50lbs but you can't adjust the steering wheel and once u take the seats out u will get a airbag light.
    As for the fluid u won't get a CEL.

If someone really wants they can get a c63 down to under 3500lbs
    @Mthis,

Thank you very much for all of this excellent data that you shared. Definitely helps the thread. Also, glad to learn the fluid won't throw a CEL.

Also, so I understand this correctly, when your stock car weighed 3910, the "junk in the trunk" was removed? Otherwise, it would have weighed 3950?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nrgy Click here to enlarge
    I installed the 21 lbs battery, which is still about a 40 lb weight savings, and it's been holding up really well. I've let it sit for 2 weeks while on vacation and it started right back up when I got home. I would say you have about 8-10 engine starts with this battery if you did them consecutively.
    Very good to know. Thanks.

Did you need a custom battery mount, or does the new battery just install securely where the OEM one was located?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mistake up there the race exhaust only saves 30lbs not 50

@Sticky why can't I edit my posts?
    You only have a 5 minute window.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, very informative. Does anyone know if any facelift CF hoods have been offered in the aftermarket? Last I checked, Dads didn't have it yet.
    Current: 2012 C63 AMG PP | 2012 F25 X3
    Past: 2008 E92 M3 | 2009 E90 335i | 2007 Z4MC | 2002 GTI 1.8T | 2000 Celica GT-S | 1999 328i | 1990 Corrado G60

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DiscoZ Click here to enlarge
    Thanks, very informative. Does anyone know if any facelift CF hoods have been offered in the aftermarket? Last I checked, Dads didn't have it yet.
    No idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DiscoZ Click here to enlarge
    My pleasure.

Not sure about the hood question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Mthis ,

Thank you very much for all of this excellent data that you shared. Definitely helps the thread. Also, glad to learn the fluid won't throw a CEL.

Also, so I understand this correctly, when your stock car weighed 3910, the "junk in the trunk" was removed? Otherwise, it would have weighed 3950?
    Anything to help the community
    yes 3950 with 1/4 gas stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anything to help the community
    yes 3950 with 1/4 gas stock
    Cool, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Very good to know. Thanks.

Did you need a custom battery mount, or does the new battery just install securely where the OEM one was located?
    I did make up a custom battery mount. I drew up something in CAD and I took the file to a local shop that had a CNC waterjet machine and they cut out my design out of 1/2" thick aluminum. I basically used the dimensions of the stock battery with a cutout for the smaller battery so it does not slide around. Worked perfect! But you could do something much simpler with bungees. The battery connections are so heavy duty and stiff as is, that's almost enough to keep it from moving around. With just a bungee strapped over the top I really don't think there would be any stress on the connections.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did make up a custom battery mount. I drew up something in CAD and I took the file to a local shop that had a CNC waterjet machine and they cut out my design out of 1/2" thick aluminum. I basically used the dimensions of the stock battery with a cutout for the smaller battery so it does not slide around. Worked perfect! But you could do something much simpler with bungees. The battery connections are so heavy duty and stiff as is, that's almost enough to keep it from moving around. With just a bungee strapped over the top I really don't think there would be any stress on the connections.

Click here to enlarge
    You can always do something simpler with bungees, haha!

Great job on your mount. Looks good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like this thread. Nice info and I don't even have a c63. Giving me ideas though! Where the hell can I check my car weight?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    I like this thread. Nice info and I don't even have a c63. Giving me ideas though! Where the hell can I check my car weight?
    At the dump.
    Or local dragstrip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge
    Are you currently running the lighter battery?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are you currently running the lighter battery?
    Yup, for about a year now and still running strong. I saved some money too buy going to a local Batteries Plus store, and picking up their "generic" 21 lbs lightweight battery, without the Braille branding. From what I have read and researched, it is the same battery without the higher price tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast