Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Charcoal Filter Delete and K&N filter...

Is it worth it to do this to my car? I hear it gives about a +10 hp increase, but I also heard a lot of people get CEL's afterwards...any members here that have done this and have been ok?? I know on the N54 it took a while for the sensor to be reset after getting dp's in and I don't want to have to worry about CEL's being...thanks guys! Click here to enlarge
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, worth it.

Tune can disable the CEL.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm alright, gonna get in tough with the guys from Weistec to find out if they are coming out with a handheld tuner too...or if they recommend one over another so it's not something I just use until I get the SC! Click here to enlarge

In addition, how do I get it to not pull a CEL? I heard it's due to an incomplete seal...hmm...wonder if there's any real evidence or testing on this?

Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it's the seal then it can be avoided. Let's see who else will chip in.

I don't think @Weistec has a handheld tuner

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sealing is not the issue.

It has to do with emmisions and ECU readings from changes within the airflow when deleating charcoals and replacing the panel elements with sport filters.

Get an ECU tune. Weistec can adjust those readings for you. They even posted about this issue on mbworld.org a while back.

typically you are looking at about 12-15 RWHP gain from charcoal deleate+ sport filters
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@Weistec has said some cars have certain coding from the factory that causes the CEL when charcoals are deleted and/or ROW boxes are installed. I've had two C63's (including current car) deleted charcoals for both and installed ROWs with BMC's, Mann paper filters, AMG OE papers, and now AFE Pro dry S and never one CEL. I am very careful to make sure the filters are seated correctly (the BMC's and AFE's are easier to install because of their firmer borders compared to paper filters) and I tighten the boxes properly. I use a flash light to look at the rear seal to ensure proper installation. Although, I agree it's not difficult to install properly. I enjoy how these mods make the car exhaust louder than stock and they make the car feel a little more powerful in the mid-to-higher rpms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive run a few different filters. No filters. No tops never a cel

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    @Weistec has said some cars have certain coding from the factory that causes the CEL when charcoals are deleted and/or ROW boxes are installed. I've had two C63's (including current car) deleted charcoals for both and installed ROWs with BMC's, Mann paper filters, AMG OE papers, and now AFE Pro dry S and never one CEL. I am very careful to make sure the filters are seated correctly (the BMC's and AFE's are easier to install because of their firmer borders compared to paper filters) and I tighten the boxes properly. I use a flash light to look at the rear seal to ensure proper installation. Although, I agree it's not difficult to install properly. I enjoy how these mods make the car exhaust louder than stock and they make the car feel a little more powerful in the mid-to-higher rpms.
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dont really think this is acurate in all circumstances

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    Sealing is not the issue.

It has to do with emmisions and ECU readings from changes within the airflow when deleating charcoals and replacing the panel elements with sport filters.

Get an ECU tune. Weistec can adjust those readings for you. They even posted about this issue on mbworld.org a while back.

typically you are looking at about 12-15 RWHP gain from charcoal deleate+ sport filters
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So no CEL issues then? He get just delete without worry?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We have done extensive research on this when designing and testing our supercharger system. As you all can imagine, many dynamics of airflow past the MAF sensor change when adding a supercharger, and these same dynamics are affected on a more powerful NA car as well. With that said, some AMG 63's will not have this issue, but chances are if you drive a late 2009-present AMG 63, or recently had an update by the dealer for the ME ECU, you will throw a CEL when installing filters and removing charcoals. Let us know how we can help. Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
    Click here to enlarge
    Home of the World's Fastest Mercedes

CONNECT WITH US
    www.Weistec.com
    Sales@Weistec.com

Instagram
    Facebook

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Weistec Click here to enlarge
    We have done extensive research on this when designing and testing our supercharger system. As you all can imagine, many dynamics of airflow past the MAF sensor change when adding a supercharger, and these same dynamics are affected on a more powerful NA car as well. With that said, some AMG 63's will not have this issue, but chances are if you drive a late 2009-present AMG 63, or recently had an update by the dealer for the ME ECU, you will throw a CEL when installing filters and removing charcoals. Let us know how we can help. Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
    Thanks for the feedback. Very interesting info. So, it's possible that if my car needed to have an update, my car could start throwing CEL's? That would be a bummer. I've had a good run so far not getting CEL's. Click here to enlarge

In your estimation, in real world driving, what kind of power gains could one see from ROWs and high flow filters? 8-10 hp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Weistec Click here to enlarge

Weistec Engineering

I have a late 2010 build C63 and have had the charcoals removed. I have not experienced any CEL issues. 2 things to remember when installing K&N filters is to dry out any excess oil from the filter before installing (ruins MAF sensors) and to make sure that the filters are properly seated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Weistec thanks for the quick response! Are you guys going to come out with a handheld tune, that might allow for me to get rid of the CEL or would just trick the ECU into thinking that everything is fine in that one department? If not, is there a way to work around the CEL that would be caused by new filters and charcoal delete? As Jeff said, I read that you should dry out the filters prior to installation, and that that might be the reason why the car throws a CEL once the new filters are installed...any input? Any way to make this installation happen without a CEL would help! Click here to enlarge Anyone who can help is also VERY welcome to chime in on the second portion!

PS: I drive a 2012 if that makes a difference...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Here are a couple of dynosheets I found in regards to deleating charcoals and replacing the paper elements with sport filters like K&N's

This write up was by Jeremy from @OE Tuning on mbworld a while back:
    http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...velopment.html

Click here to enlarge

shows gains of about 10 RWHP

This is another write by Jerry from Eurocharged, @Jake@Eurocharged.com
    http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...e-details.html

Click here to enlarge

I heard somewhere that gains depend on type of mods that you have. Highly modified cars will give slightly higher gains.

You can also gain an extra few HP by modifying the airboxes or switching to carbonio intake. A Renntech Intake is the best and will net you 10WHP (Intake alone)

Before installing headers on my M156. I removed charcoals, replaced the elements with pipercross filters, added the carbonio intake and gained 15rwhp. I wish I had the dynosheet to show you, but it was about two years ago. It was done on a dynojet 224.
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha, the Carbonio intake is 2k...No thanks man. I'll just take that 2 grand and put it in my SC account lol...ok if I were to do this, what filters should I get? I've seen K&N and AFE as popular choices...any big difference between the two?

Click here to enlarge