Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

12 out of 12 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

My Job: building 4,400hp engines

Hey guys, not exactly automotive but interesting none the less.

I work for the only non-manufacturer ran General Electric locomotive overhaul facility in North America and I figured I'd share a few pics of some of the cool stuff I get to work on.

I mainly work on GE 7FDL16 series engines. They are 10,700CID V16s rated at 4,400hp/20,000ftlbs@1055RPM. Each locomotive is rated at ~140,000 pounds of tractive effort(pulling force.) Total locomotive weight is 400,000lbs.

This is a complete engine setting next to the alternator that will bolted to rear of the engine and provides the power necessary to turn the traction motors. Combined weight is ~65,000lbs.
    Click here to enlarge

This is just the bare block. The holes in the top are where each Power Assembly sit. The square holes in the side provide access for inspection/ repair.
    Click here to enlarge

This is the crankshaft. It is ~11 feet long and weighs 4,200lbs.
    Click here to enlarge

The pistons are a 2 piece design where the crown and skirt are bolted together. Combined weight of crown and skirt is ~50lbs. This particular piston had a failure of the wrist pin causing damage to both the skirt and cylinder walls.
    Click here to enlarge

The turbochargers weigh 1,900lbs and are designed to provide 36psi of pressure in two separate 11ID intake manifolds.
    Click here to enlarge

Here are a couple pics of the turbo mounted. One from the front, one from the rear and one of just the exhaust manifold.
    Click here to enlarge
    The pics from the rear is obstructed on the left by a power assembly and on the right by a water to air intercooler.
    Click here to enlarge
    Exhaust manifold
    Click here to enlarge

I love working on this stuff and if you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

lol....the crankshaft weighs as much as my CTS-V....Click here to enlarge
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

very cool pics, thanks for sharing!
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Repped for some really cool pics. I love trains....especially the old ones. Thanks for posting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Awesome pictures.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

This is so freakin cool, you think that turbo will fit in my car? Click here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Repped for some really cool pics. I love trains....especially the old ones. Thanks for posting.
    Thank you sir
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    This is so freakin cool, you think that turbo will fit in my car? Click here to enlarge
    Where there's a will there's a way.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Back off dude,I want that for my Hayabusa!! Lol

Awesome pics&very interesting.
    Can you explain more about the "power assembly"??
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oldgixxer Click here to enlarge
    Back off dude,I want that for my Hayabusa!! Lol

Awesome pics&very interesting.
    Can you explain more about the "power assembly"??
    Sure. Each cylinder is designed to, essentially, act as if it is an entire engine. The valves, cylinder walls, cylinder head, water passages, piston and rod are all contained in one unit. That unit can then be installed into the frame. That means if one PA has a problem it can be replaced without disturbing any of the other PAs.

This is the jacket that contains the valve train, cylinder liner, cylinder head and the piston/rod slides into
    Click here to enlarge

There are two different connecting rods used. A master rod and articulating rod(art rod for short.)

Master rods resemble automotive connecting rods and the big end goes around the crank throw. This master rod came out of an engine I've been working on the last couple days. The turbo ate the compressor seal and then began sucking oil out the crankcase and then the engine oversped. The engine is supposed to turn 1055rpms and this one ran 1500rpms before finally sucking all the oil out of the oil pan. The engine burned through 400 gallons of oil in roughly 90seconds. The piston crown seized in the bore and broke away from the skirt.
    Click here to enlarge

The art rod bolts onto a pin at the base of the master rod
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Wow,thats amazing stuff! Excellent explanation as well thankyouClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys, not exactly automotive but interesting none the less.

I work for the only non-manufacturer ran General Electric locomotive overhaul facility in North America and I figured I'd share a few pics of some of the cool stuff I get to work on.

I mainly work on GE 7FDL16 series engines. They are 10,700CID V16s rated at 4,400hp/20,000ftlbs@1055RPM. Each locomotive is rated at ~140,000 pounds of tractive effort(pulling force.) Total locomotive weight is 400,000lbs.

This is a complete engine setting next to the alternator that will bolted to rear of the engine and provides the power necessary to turn the traction motors. Combined weight is ~65,000lbs.

I love working on this stuff and if you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.

That is seriously cool stuff... I do have a question - you mention a traction motor. Does the engine actually just provide power (electricity) to the motors - and the motors drive the train? If so, is it so you can have better control over the speed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

would have loved to see that motor actually let go Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge

check youtube. Plenty of vids showing turbocharger failures on running trains....engine just shoots fire out of the stack Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Soo you have any job openings? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    That is seriously cool stuff... I do have a question - you mention a traction motor. Does the engine actually just provide power (electricity) to the motors - and the motors drive the train? If so, is it so you can have better control over the speed?
    Yes, the engine just provides the juice. In 8th notch the alternator provides 2400 amps and 1200 volts of electricity. There are a couple reasons for the electric motors. The main reason is that an electric motor can provide insane amounts of torque at VERY low RPMs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I like trains as well... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I've never witnessed one actually let go completely.
    I have seen what's known as an "air box explosion." That's when fuel or oil oil vapor fills the intake manifold and a valve issue allows combustion to enter the intake manifold and ignites the vapor. That's a very scary scenario because the intake manifold(air boxes as we call them) are at chest level and literally 6" away from you when you're inspecting the engine when it's running. I've seen that happen twice, luckily no one was standing near the engine when it exploded. I've had a turbo blow out an impeller seal and dump ~40 gallons of oil on me. Luckily that happened immediately after starting and the oil was still cold.

Most of the work that gets done at the shop is EPA mandated maintenance but there's almost always at least one catastrophic failure in the shop.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is cool stuff man... I work for metro-north railroad and deal with p32 genesis locomotives, well I use to now I'm in an office but I know pretty much exactly what your talking about. Except the actual engine break down. I've seem the p32 genesis motor up close before and its a monster!
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Very cool indeed my friend. I have always been a train nut, and I use to have a layout, in HO, that was almost 1/2 mile long. For real, until I moved and then I donated it to the WPMRR. That is the Western Pennsylvania Model Rail road club on 910.

Cool pics again, I just wish I had some of our diesel generators from the nuke. They made that engine look tiny. The con rods were about 5 feet in length.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    This is cool stuff man... I work for metro-north railroad and deal with p32 genesis locomotives, well I use to now I'm in an office but I know pretty much exactly what your talking about. Except the actual engine break down. I've seem the p32 genesis motor up close before and its a monster!
    That's awesome man!!!
    I've never worked on a p32. From what I've heard they're essentially a 12 cylinder version of the 7FDLs.
    I'll try to snap a few pics of the new 7HDL engines, or the Evolution series as GE calls them. There's a couple in the shop now with broken cranks lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The only problem with the pictures that you posted is that you need something in the picture for a frame of reference. I would bet that these items are much larger than most envision.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    The only problem with the pictures that you posted is that you need something in the picture for a frame of reference. I would bet that these items are much larger than most envision.
    You're right. I'll try and get a couple scale pics. The pic of the turbo mounted on the engine has a tool box on the left side of the pic but that's not that great for scale.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    So it takes around 4 locomotives to move a train?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So it takes around 4 locomotives to move a train?
    Most trains have 4 locomotives that provide power, however I think the way I worded it may have lead to a misunderstanding. Locomotive and train are different things. A locomotive is the unit that has the engine and provides the power where the train is the locomotives and freight cars combined. Trains weigh millions and millions of pounds. Even though the locomotives only produce 140,000lbs of pull they can still move millions of pounds. Its the same concept as a car that weighs 3Klbs can be moved by an engine that makes 200ftlbs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very cool.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast