Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

REVIEW: Very satisfied with Renntech ECU upgrade and Weistec filters for 2012 CL 63AMG!

Hi Guys- Got my 2012 CL63 AMG back from Greensboro Mercedes two days ago. I had the ECU upgrade done and had the Weistec filters installed. Very, very happy. I am a layman so please bear with me as I can only give a "regular guy" review here. And I'm nobody's poet.

I got the CL back and started the drive home, which is about 80-90 miles or so from my home. Perfect for the first 100 miles to let things adjust, I figured. Many, many police taking radar on the highway as it was 4th of July time. Obviously, I had to chill a little. Don't need any more points on the ol record. But of course, little quick rips of 40mph-90 here and there were completely necessary, who wouldn't? Maybe felt something...a little more pull? Yes, but I was holding back because of cop fear and perhaps a slight, unfounded fear of an unknown new power lurking in my engine.

Over the last couple days, a few things have happened. First, I've loosened up a little and realized that Weistec and Renntech products belong in my car. It's a mental trust thing that has been earned by both of these companies. Second, I've hit the gas harder and have "given her a little." In other words I've quit being a complete puss and let her rip! Third...I think..the car seems to have adapted and loves the upgrades. THE CAR ABSOLUTELY RIPS!!! It needs to run. It wants to run. It talks to you!

This car does not want to be teased. Throw it in M and get the revs up and I honestly believe that you will be traveling as fast as one wants to travel in a car (for a regular everyday guy like me) Things come at you so fast your brain is on overload figuring out what to do to keep things ok. Straight up the car is an absolute rocket. And this is a porky CL63! Not the lighter CLS or other 157 models which may not have the heft. I can only imagine.

I light heartedly lined up with a gentleman in his 50's in a late model burgundy SL550 at a stop light. Of course, not a fair fight and everyone knew it (his attractive wife included, I think) He saw the BI Turbo badge and probably just wanted to have fun I'm assuming. Honestly had no idea that as I casually rolled off the line he wanted to race! He jumped out about 3-4 car lengths ahead...Oh we're really gonna race?!? Ok! I matted it and as I'm scorching past them they are giggling hysterically as they love the amazement of watching a car travel this fast past them. Huge thumbs up from them at the next light as I saw them at more normal speeds.

Guys as you can clearly tell I am just a guy that knows very little about car mechanics that just loves cars. I don't have numbers, slips, charts, or anything to give you all an objective view of my upgrade. But, for those of you that are looking to add an ECU upgrade and filters like I did please let me say:

-It is clearly faster, nastier, and nearly breathes fire (and the stock engine was already damn good IMO)

-I'd do it again in a heartbeat and recommend you do the same.

-Let the 100 miles settle in-there is a difference after the car adjusts. (maybe my imagination but I think I'm right...?)

-Worth the money in my opinion (Paid 3400 and change to RT and I think roughly 270-300 for Weistec filters)

- Biggest difference (for me) seemed to be mid to high range RPM's

- Car pulls and pulls and pulls and the torque seems endless

- It is a very fast car that'll make you smile (and your spectators)

- They don't lie about everyday drivability, it's true. It's great. Around town, feels like stock.

- The car doesn't 'feel modded' or weird or like someones tinkered with it. It feels right.

I know you may have questions, please hit me! Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Congrats on the outstanding results and thanks for the report.
    D.C.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Claws

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    THANX for the feedback... enjoy your beast!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sounds like its worth the money, enjoy it in good health!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Nice review Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I have a similarly upgraded '09 CL600 (eng/trans ecu). It did appear to improve for the first month in performance, but it could have been me exploring the limits of the car in a measured way as I got comfortable with its new performance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not surprised at all you are happy Click here to enlarge You should be grinning from ear to ear.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the great review. Enjoy your beast

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strong hands, love the review and is one of the reasons I got the renntech tuning on my 2012 CLS. The power is unbelievable and could not stop putting my foot to the floor for about two weeks. Now that I calmed down I realiized that driving like a normal person is somewhat uncomfortable. Two main issues: 1st seems to go through the gears way too fast. I find myself in 6th gear driving at 25mph?? In turn when I hit the gas pedal it obviously bogs out a bit. 2nd it is very choppy in the lower gears. For a lay person like myself I can only describe as I am driving a manual transmission and just not very good at it bucking with the clutch. Anyone have any similar issues with the tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Collectionltd Click here to enlarge
    Strong hands, love the review and is one of the reasons I got the renntech tuning on my 2012 CLS. The power is unbelievable and could not stop putting my foot to the floor for about two weeks. Now that I calmed down I realiized that driving like a normal person is somewhat uncomfortable. Two main issues: 1st seems to go through the gears way too fast. I find myself in 6th gear driving at 25mph?? In turn when I hit the gas pedal it obviously bogs out a bit. 2nd it is very choppy in the lower gears. For a lay person like myself I can only describe as I am driving a manual transmission and just not very good at it bucking with the clutch. Anyone have any similar issues with the tuning?
    I think you are just having issues getting accustomed to the additional power/torque.

This is a CLS63 AMG?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is what I was hoping, but wasn't sure. Yes, 63AMG.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Collectionltd Click here to enlarge
    That is what I was hoping, but wasn't sure. Yes, 63AMG.
    Yes, it's likely just the added power which makes your gears seem short now and the trans logic adjusting to what gear it needs to be into. You will have a little bit of a learning curve as well as to how the trans will now respond.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Collection- Yes I know what you mean about the bogging, mine does it too, but it did it pre Renntech. It gurgles a little at low rpm and then lights up as the rpm's increase. I think this is just the nature of the engine. My biz partner had a 2008 CL65 Renntech and his did the exact same thing. Actually, come to think of it my GTR does it too. I think that's why I wrote that the car doesn't want to be teased! Let er rip! As far as calm, around town driving you'll get a little bogging, totally normal.