Close

Thread: Resonator Delete - CLS550

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Resonator Delete - CLS550

After viewing some various forum threads, I decided to try a resonator delete on my 2012 CLS550 4Matic. The consensus (after a couple different variations were tried) was to use straight pipes instead of an x-pipe... the straight pipes would yield a deeper sound with no problems. With that in mind, I recently had the resonator cut off at a custom muffler shop and they welded two straight stainless pipes in its place (estimates were $150-200).

To me, this simple mod was a perfect solution to my exhaust needs. The sound on start-up is slightly louder and the cabin (with windows closed) has a nice 'rumble' during acceleration. At a steady cruise, there is really no noticeable difference from the stock setup... and I've never yet experienced any dreaded drone.

The quality of my sound file is the best I can do under the circumstances. You will hear a cold start, some idle and a few revs... edited to a total of 30-seconds (in MP3 format). I hope this will assist some members in their exhaust decision... I honestly feel no need to go any louder. At the least, this may be a starting point.
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE MP3 SOUND FILE

Your mileage may vary,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 427 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After viewing some various forum threads, I decided to try a resonator delete on my 2012 CLS550 4Matic. The consensus (after a couple different variations were tried) was to use straight pipes instead of an x-pipe... the straight pipes would yield a deeper sound with no problems. With that in mind, I recently had the resonator cut off at a custom muffler shop and they welded two straight stainless pipes in its place (estimates were $150-200).

To me, this simple mod was a perfect solution to my exhaust needs. The sound on start-up is slightly louder and the cabin (with windows closed) has a nice 'rumble' during acceleration. At a steady cruise, there is really no noticeable difference from the stock setup... and I've never yet experienced any dreaded drone.

The quality of my sound file is the best I can do under the circumstances. You will hear a cold start, some idle and a few revs... edited to a total of 30-seconds (in MP3 format). I hope this will assist some members in their exhaust decision... I honestly feel no need to go any louder. At the least, this may be a starting point.
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE MP3 SOUND FILE

Your mileage may vary,
    Listened and liked it 427. Man that throaty, deep exhaust gets me every time. I'm a complete sucker for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stronghands Click here to enlarge
    Listened and liked it 427. Man that throaty, deep exhaust gets me every time. I'm a complete sucker for it.
    Glad you like it... to me, itz perfect for this vehicle. And if I need something louder, I break out my old big block with factory sidepipes. Still can't figure out why I had the original radio restored... I'd rather listen to the barking sidepipes instead. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)

Definitely sounds throaty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was woundering is there a horse power increase with the resonater delete?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by surfingjeff Click here to enlarge
    I was woundering is there a horse power increase with the resonater delete?
    This modification is more for sound than power. Minimal increase, inconsequential really.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

i wonder what the sound and power will be if i did straight pipes from turbo to tips on M157 ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alrasheed1991 Click here to enlarge
    i wonder what the sound and power will be if i did straight pipes from turbo to tips on M157 ?
    Well straight pipes would make a very noticeable difference in power and sound.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I will try make video before after when my car arrive

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alrasheed1991 Click here to enlarge
    I will try make video before after when my car arrive
    Please do if you are going straight pipe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Please do if you are going straight pipe.
    Trust me i will, My C63 is on straight pipes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The name of the game is less restriction on intakes and exhaust. I do mechanical engineering all day to reduce back pressure which reduces the HP requirements to pull air though piping. Turns, resonators, air filters are restrictions. The higher the air travels through piping the more the change in direction restrictions makes in equivalent straight pipe a 90 degree elbow to equal to 25 feet to 35 feet of straight pipe. I suspect and I will confirm with my velometer pipe velocities are in the 7000 Feet per Minute range which is tremendous velocities so every change in direction and added filtration turbulence will add to back pressure that robe the engine of Horse Power. All that a engine is a pump which sucks fuel air and pushes the cranks moves the fly wheel to the transmission and to the drive shaft and to the wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by surfingjeff Click here to enlarge
    The name of the game is less restriction on intakes and exhaust. I do mechanical engineering all day to reduce back pressure which reduces the HP requirements to pull air though piping. Turns, resonators, air filters are restrictions. The higher the air travels through piping the more the change in direction restrictions makes in equivalent straight pipe a 90 degree elbow to equal to 25 feet to 35 feet of straight pipe. I suspect and I will confirm with my velometer pipe velocities are in the 7000 Feet per Minute range which is tremendous velocities so every change in direction and added filtration turbulence will add to back pressure that robe the engine of Horse Power. All that a engine is a pump which sucks fuel air and pushes the cranks moves the fly wheel to the transmission and to the drive shaft and to the wheels.
    Nice sound file! Also, note that the manuf. actually have already done the calculation for the intake system including filters loss. I'm sure their CFD equipment, tests & high payed engineering dept. already provided an induction system that will flow higher Kg/hr than what your engine needs. You can even remove the entire airbox, & exhaust you will see no marginal gains rather give you more noise.

On the other hand, please let me know what you see from your results on those new Gasoline DI engines.