Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    they should compare the e90 335 to the f30 335
    They did a 328 to 328 comparison, read: http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?2...ix-cylinder-di

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm a little glad BMW is getting slammed, maybe they will wake up and realize that SOME of their cars should focus on efficiency and being green while others need to have their performance credentials left in tact. The type of buyer who passes on the 328i and goes for bigger engine is obviously not interested in a tiny fraction of a mile per gallon, so why would they want all season tires and electronic power steering? It's not just about numbers in a magazine, it's readily apparent when you drive a car that has been hamstrung by all season runflat tires and electronic power steering. It's a sad reality that whenever I consider a BMW these days, I have to factor in the cost of new tires, set aside time to remove the clutch delay valve, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They did a 328 to 328 comparison, read: http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?2...ix-cylinder-di
    More interested in a e90 n55 vs f30 n55. Basically a comparison of the chassis dynamics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    This vid is bull$#@! - the S4 has summer tires and the 335 has all-seasons. Any comparison having to do with performance is moot.
    why are they comparing the s4 to the 335? shouldn't it be the s4 vs the m3?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    Not since the b5 and the e36.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

BMW... needs a wake up call badly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    Stock E9x 335i beats the S4/S5 in all reviews. Even the RS5 was not that far out of reach and got easily taken down by the M3, despite higher HP (450 for the RS5).

Reviewers from sports cars magazines often criticized the steering feel of the S5/RS5 (numb, too light, no road feedback). Did BMW hire Audi engineers to develop the F30??
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Stock E9x 335i beats the S4/S5 in all reviews. Even the RS5 was not that far out of reach and got easily taken down by the M3, despite higher HP (450 for the RS5).
    Not really.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
    These two cars aren't comparable though, S4's rival is the upcoming M335i or whatever it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

If one is runnong all-seasons, they should do half of the tests in snow for it to be even remotely fair.Is BMW offering all seasons with the cars as std equipment? I cannot believe it. In my country they wouldn't even think of anything like that. Those are plain dangerous. The stopping distance is affected bythe tires almost entirely. Anyone can see that if the wall waswhere Summer tires stopped, all seasons just crashed to it hard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Im Glad i have a DIESEL but I am a bit surprised, true be it I recall a gentleman once told me when i told him I was buying a BMW, He stated "I used to own Bimmers until I ran into the QUATTRO, they drive better and perform better than BMW, think twice before you buy" Well I test drove the DIESEL and make no mistake one year old and 15k later Im still SMILING with my bimmer!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    If one is runnong all-seasons, they should do half of the tests in snow for it to be even remotely fair.Is BMW offering all seasons with the cars as std equipment? I cannot believe it. In my country they wouldn't even think of anything like that. Those are plain dangerous. The stopping distance is affected bythe tires almost entirely. Anyone can see that if the wall waswhere Summer tires stopped, all seasons just crashed to it hard.
    Ya, they suck. They don't give you the grip that summer tires have on dry surfaces, and also they don't work on wet like winter tires. Worst of both worlds. They are just good for lazy people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i dont think the tester put on the all season tires. So if bmw is so stupid to deliver a test car with all season tires.... well then they deserve the bad outgoing of this comparison. Probably they have better things to do at the moment.
    at least this test gives me reasons to keep my 335d.

I liked the new 3 series when it came out, but after some times it already feels boring (optically) for me. While the E9X LCI/FL still looks very good, kind of a timeless design.
    I like my E91 always more and more and i miss nothing ... well, maybe the 8 speed automatic transmission but thats really the only thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
    i dont think the tester put on the all season tires. So if bmw is so stupid to deliver a test car with all season tires.... well then they deserve the bad outgoing of this comparison. Probably they have better things to do at the moment.
    at least this test gives me reasons to keep my 335d.

I liked the new 3 series when it came out, but after some times it already feels boring (optically) for me. While the E9X LCI/FL still looks very good, kind of a timeless design.
    I like my E91 always more and more and i miss nothing ... well, maybe the 8 speed automatic transmission but thats really the only thing.
    Exactly BMW deserves the blame for how they outfit their car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Not really.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
    These two cars aren't comparable though, S4's rival is the upcoming M335i or whatever it is.
    No these two are direct rivals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

No these two are direct rivals.
    Nope, they are not. S4 was a model above A4 3.2 which was the direct rival of 3-series top model. Now that the 3.2 is gone, and they have no direct rival for 335i, C350, G37 etc...

Same is true for S6. Is it direct rival for 550i, E550 and M56? No, it used to be the A6 4.2 which is gone too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

ope, they are not. S4 was a model above A4 3.2 which was the direct rival of 3-series top model. Now that the 3.2 is gone, and they have no direct rival for 335i, C350, G37 etc...
    Uh, yes, they are.

The only time the S4 was an M3 rival was back with the B5 as already stated. The Audi S4 is the 335i competition. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They are not direct competitors, but the 335i is the closest thing to an S4 that BMW makes. I had my local dealers run the numbers for me since I'm about to replace my 135i...with equivalent options and very similar prices (and equal lease terms, $5,000 down, 12,000 miles a year for 36 months) I can have a 335i for $580 a month or an S4 for $966...

So, as you can imagine, I laughed in the face of my Audi dealer and didn't stop laughing until I got home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Sport Auto just did a comparison test. 335 won but not by much. Braking figures were basically a tie as Europe does not use all seasons. Having real tires is a must. NA branch is making a big mistake on tire choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    They are not direct competitors, but the 335i is the closest thing to an S4 that BMW makes. I had my local dealers run the numbers for me since I'm about to replace my 135i...with equivalent options and very similar prices (and equal lease terms, $5,000 down, 12,000 miles a year for 36 months) I can have a 335i for $580 a month or an S4 for $966...

So, as you can imagine, I laughed in the face of my Audi dealer and didn't stop laughing until I got home.
    They are direct competitors. Wake up guys.

The financing does not determine it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bogdan_mb Click here to enlarge
    Another disappointment from BMW...
    Wait until the M-Sport arrives with better suspension and better brakes then its game over for AUDI.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They are direct competitors. Wake up guys.

The financing does not determine it.
    There is no way the S4 is that much better than the 335i...I would have been willing to pay 5-10% more but with BMW's free maintenance plan that covers so much, the pill becomes even harder to swallow. I once let a friend borrow my car and he destroyed my clutch, BMW replaced it for free!

But anyways, let's forget the price. The reason I see them as less than direct competitors is because a 335i is pretty much a 328i with a bigger engine and some more standard features whereas the S4 is an A4 with a bigger engine, different suspension and a different interior with very nice Recaro seats. It differentiates itself from the A4 more than the 335i does from the 328i and I wish BMW would learn from Audi in this regard. I don't really see the point in spending the extra money on a 335i when the 328i's performance is similar (with the new N20, I drove both recently) and all you really get is a more powerful and better sounding engine.

I think the upcoming M335i will be a perfect match for the S4, as long as they wake up and put some real performance tires on it! I absolutely guarantee that 80% of the difference in numbers between these two cars was down to the all season tires on the BMW and the other 20% comes from the fact that the BMW has 225 wide tires and the Audi comes with 245s (optional 255s with even stickier rubber).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

interesting

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

The only time the S4 was an M3 rival was back with the B5 as already stated.
    Yeah, but it's not the point here. S4 isn't 335i's rival. It sits between M3 and 335i. a 335is or M335i is the S4 rival.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    The reason I see them as less than direct competitors is because a 335i is pretty much a 328i with a bigger engine and some more standard features whereas the S4 is an A4 with a bigger engine, different suspension and a different interior with very nice Recaro seats. It differentiates itself from the A4 more than the 335i does from the 328i and I wish BMW would learn from Audi in this regard. I don't really see the point in spending the extra money on a 335i when the 328i's performance is similar (with the new N20, I drove both recently) and all you really get is a more powerful and better sounding engine.
    The S4 is positioned as Audi's 335. It is the next step up from the 2.0T which is the the 328i competitor. It's pretty simple IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Yeah, but it's not the point here. S4 isn't 335i's rival. It sits between M3 and 335i. a 335is or M335i is the S4 rival.
    No, it's the 335 rival. The 335i was ahead of the S4 for a long time now all of a sudden because the S4 performs better it isn't the competition? Just because Audi uses an "S" doesn't flip the world upside down.

What is the 335 competitor then? It is clearly the S4, Insideline got it right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast