Close

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Sebastian Vettel one-year-out anniversary of the first Formula One race in North Jersey

Well, that was quite a ride I took today with Sebastian Vettel, the reigning Formula One champ, on the 2.3-mile course in Weehawken and West New York that is to be the site of the Grand Prix of AmericaFormula One race next June.Vettel wasn’t expected to reach more than 40 mph in a “souped-up” Infiniti during test runs, but he got us up to 100 mph on Boulevard East (though he’ll deny it if the Weehawken police ask him about it, and I was scrunched down enough in the back seat thanks to a race helmet that I wouldn’t prove to be a very good witness).So what’s the official review from Vettel on what it will take to win this event on the worldwide circuit? “You need to have big balls,” he said.Meanwhile, if you’re stuck in the back seat and you’re six feet tall, you need not to mind when your helmet bangs against the roof on every bump – and at this point, there are plenty of those left before extensive paving comes next spring.More later, but here are a couple of sports business angles as well:- Vettel is a key client of Red Bull, the European sports energy drink that owns the Major League soccer franchise in Harrison, which like the race happens to be located in Hudson County. Red Bull had Olympic skiing champ Lindsey Vonn drive a Red Bull race car onto the ‘pitch’ at the first-ever Red Bulls soccer game a couple of years ago. Don’t be surprised if Red Bull winds up linking these two sports opportunities down the road.- Vettel also was scheduled to appear on David Letterman’s late-night show Monday night. That’s exactly the sort of publicity that Ecclestone craves, and a big hit there would only make it seem even more implausible that Ecclestone would delay the Weehawken race debut a year over some sort of financial minutiae.With all due respect to the other sites worldwide, this is a chance for Ecclestone to lure his high-rolling, jet-set crowd to the biggest stage of all. Ecclestone – neither shy nor retiring – has suggested that he wants to have even more than two races in the U.S. in years to come. The best way to do that would be to hit it big with a New York-area race.

It's up the street from me i drive there every day i saw the Infiniti it looked stock to me, Police blocks caused lots of traffic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    damn. I wish i could get a ride with Vettel... maybe in something faster than an Infiniti
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    damn. I wish i could get a ride with Vettel... maybe in something faster than an Infiniti
    i rip down that street much faster than G37 =D Amazing view of NYC at night.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    i rip down that street much faster than G37 =D Amazing view of NYC at night.
    hehe no doubt! That'd be a sight for them to hold the F1 race at night, would be pretty sweet with NYC backdrop
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The race will be right next to my place i can just walk out and see the F1 cars.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a video link of them doing donuts
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/Form...test_run_.html