Close

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No

    Let's talk tires...

    Hey guys, my rears are beyond the wear indicators so they need to be replaced ASAP. Does anyone know what benefit/drawbacks there would be going to a 265/35/18 on my rears vs the 255/35/18 on there now? I know the 265's are 3 lbs heavier per tire and make for a slightly larger wheel diameter, but is there any additional traction afforded by going wider in real-world situations?

    FBO + meth on stock turbos I had no issues in 2nd gear but RBs at big boost make 2nd gear absolutely worthless.

    I need to invest in a set of lightweight 18's or something that can stand up to the massive abuse rims see in NYC... but for now, need some tire advise thanks Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115
    Rep Points
    169.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports no question about it.
    One of the best tires I've ever driven on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Moved to tires and wheels.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    937
    Rep Points
    562.7
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Awww, you were moved to the no will see it section.

    My experence with tires. Changed from 255 faulken to 265 DWs on stock rim. Much more float now, probably only due to sidewall. Not sure what a larger dia tire to rim will effect... It seems to fit fine though. I have to say the DWs HOOK... but i also did LSD 2 days after changing tires.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Awww, you were moved to the no will see it section.

    My experence with tires. Changed from 255 faulken to 265 DWs on stock rim. Much more float now, probably only due to sidewall. Not sure what a larger dia tire to rim will effect... It seems to fit fine though. I have to say the DWs HOOK... but i also did LSD 2 days after changing tires.
    I have DWS and i have no complaints with the way they perform for a street tire. Perfect compromise for northeast weather. I do want to know if going from 255 to 265 will improve traction though. If they will not, then why bother?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Awww, you were moved to the no will see it section.

    My experence with tires. Changed from 255 faulken to 265 DWs on stock rim. Much more float now, probably only due to sidewall. Not sure what a larger dia tire to rim will effect... It seems to fit fine though. I have to say the DWs HOOK... but i also did LSD 2 days after changing tires.
    People are posting on in the thread seems to be fine to me with people seeing it.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    433.2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You know, I contemplated the same thing a few months ago when I was in the exact same position. I stuck with the OEM 225/255 FR/RR sizing - I believe most people get the larger 235/265 only because the factory 225/255 is an odd size and are not available by most tire brands (ie. Mich PSS, Conti DWs, Hank V12s).

    I went with the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's; They carry OEM sizes.
    Only a 1000 miles on them but they hook up really well and the wet drip is great; I'm FBO w/ Cobb stock turbos. Got them from Performance Plus Tire, based out of California - free shipping too. Mine were drop shipped directly from Vredestein in New York because they did not have the OEM sizes in stock at the time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    433.2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    I would imagine the tire footprint between the two sizes would be so minor that you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Other who have upsized can maybe chime in as well

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I am currently running Nitto NT555R 285/35-18s and I love them. I have a 2008 e92 and the rear rim offset is +45. You might be able to get away with a 42 offset though. Any higher than a 45 and you will be rubbing on the inside, any less than a 42/43 you might rub on the outside. These tires just about always hook. I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular tire. If I did, it would probably be the Michelin PSS.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    You know, I contemplated the same thing a few months ago when I was in the exact same position. I stuck with the OEM 225/255 FR/RR sizing - I believe most people get the larger 235/265 only because the factory 225/255 is an odd size and are not available by most tire brands (ie. Mich PSS, Conti DWs, Hank V12s).

    I went with the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's; They carry OEM sizes.
    Only a 1000 miles on them but they hook up really well and the wet drip is great; I'm FBO w/ Cobb stock turbos. Got them from Performance Plus Tire, based out of California - free shipping too. Mine were drop shipped directly from Vredestein in New York because they did not have the OEM sizes in stock at the time.
    Thanks for the response! Looks like I will stick with the 255 width in the rear then. It's 3 lbs unsprung weight on each rear and I need all the help I can get in that regard. I don't think the 265 width (26.3" wheel diameter vs 25.03" with 255's) would get me to 130 mph in 4th gear regardless since the car upshifts at 6800, not 7000.

    With that said, I got 24k miles out of my rears which is a miracle. DWS are the best daily driver tire out there for northeast weather, bar none.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,350
    Rep Points
    2,779.7
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    whats wrong with downsizing to 17s?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,948
    Rep Points
    2,880.1
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I would REALLY urge you to buy the Micheline PSS, i was literally shocked at how well they hook up. I went from spinning 2nd gear on 255 Yokohama S Drives to dead hook in 1st gear with the Micheline PSS (granted i am running 255 F/ 275 R).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,301.6
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    To answer the original question, I think you'll see more difference in width between manufacturers and models of tire than the 10mm in going from 255 to 265. I went from Evo V12s to BFG KDW2 on my S2K, same rated width, and the difference in actual width is surprising, with the BFG being much wider. I used to have a nice tuck with the Hankooks, and now have to raise the ride up to prevent rubbing with the BFGs.

    You would think 255 is 255 is 255, but it isn't. Something to think about...
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Awww, you were moved to the no will see it section.
    How are people seeing this? Weird.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    433.2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    To answer the original question, I think you'll see more difference in width between manufacturers and models of tire than the 10mm in going from 255 to 265. I went from Evo V12s to BFG KDW2 on my S2K, same rated width, and the difference in actual width is surprising, with the BFG being much wider. I used to have a nice tuck with the Hankooks, and now have to raise the ride up to prevent rubbing with the BFGs.

    You would think 255 is 255 is 255, but it isn't. Something to think about...
    The brand definitely makes a difference. I was curious about this too, but confirmed the 255 Ultrac Sessanta's are true to size.
    One thing I do miss about my OEM Potenzas is the large lip/flare around the rim to protect it from scraping. Had a nice look to it too.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •