Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Thinking of trading my C63 for a CLK BS

I have been in a bit of a dilemma lately. As some of you know I am busy with a built motor and 3.0L Weistec Project. Everything is going well in terms of my planning. A seperate motor is being built so until the last day the motor will be placed in the vehicle.
    One of the biggest barriers I have found is widening the rear of the C63. This will entail getting a panel shop to do the job, getting new wheels for street use and new wheels for drag purposes. At the moment I am battling to find a shop that is prepared to take on the job. HMS seems to have put the widebody work on hold with no ETA at the moment.
    When the time comes to start dragging the car a roll cage will be compulsory so it will take the rear seat advantage of the C63 out of the picture too.
    I am now strongly considering trading the car in for a CLK63 BS with a US$40,000 pay in. The advantage is that I do not have to worry about the rear arches. The car might retain more value. There are drivetrain mods available off the shelf. I do not really have to spend money on suspension neither. Usually I can make decisions instantly but the US$40,000 is quite a bit of extra to throw in.
    Any opinions are welcome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You just got the C63 though! You can't go wrong with a black series, but it is older...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the CLK63 is more money but I think it is a better platform for what you are looking to do.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well the CLK63 is more money but I think it is a better platform for what you are looking to do.
    I realized that now. Adding the extra money for the CLK plus the spend at Weistec basically equals a 09 GTR. I am starting to wonder when I became logical when it came to cars. No wonder I am getting confused.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I realized that now. Adding the extra money for the CLK plus the spend at Weistec basically equals a 09 GTR. I am starting to wonder when I became logical when it came to cars. No wonder I am getting confused.
    You don't want a 09 GTR. Alot of abused trannys and warranty didnt cover them. The newer ones you can't abuse the launch control.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    You don't want a 09 GTR. Alot of abused trannys and warranty didnt cover them. The newer ones you can't abuse the launch control.
    I don't want a GTR just used that to put things into perspsctive. I would land up building the trans if I had one Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't go wrong with the CLK black. It's bulletproof and with long tubes and a good tune it turns into a totally different animal. It's older yes, but still a great design and with the throttle blipping coming soon from EC or Weistec it will really make the car more fun to drive.

And while a wide body C63 may look good, I think it's lame to use spacers to fill out the wheel wells -but if cosmetics are what you are going for then it's ok. But it's still just a C63

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Can't go wrong with the CLK black. It's bulletproof and with long tubes and a good tune it turns into a totally different animal. It's older yes, but still a great design and with the throttle blipping coming soon from EC or Weistec it will really make the car more fun to drive.

And while a wide body C63 may look good, I think it's lame to use spacers to fill out the wheel wells -but if cosmetics are what you are going for then it's ok. But it's still just a C63
    I am busy with a "stg3 Weistec" so it's about traction not cosmetics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    The GTR is boring and the motor isn't as good as an M156 IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    George i think CLK is the way to go. I'm not a fan of aftermarket widebodies since they all lack the class that a Benz should have.

the motor isn't as good as an M156 IMO.
    How so?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    How so?
    I prefer a high revving bigger displacement V8 to a smaller V6.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are some CLK BS on Autotrader for R900k - 2008 models with around 25k kms. The CLK BS is really sexy, but a widebody C63 isn't bad either. Dads looks really good, even though I'm not a fan of the colour.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would definitely trade the C63 for a CLKBS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The GTR is boring and the motor isn't as good as an M156 IMO.
    The top gtr's are making close to 1900 at the crank lol, what are the top m156's doing? a fbo vr38 with less that 7k in mods are running around at 650hp+ at the crank

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    The top gtr's are making close to 1900 at the crank lol, what are the top m156's doing? a fbo vr38 with less that 7k in mods are running around at 650hp+ at the crank
    Comparing a platform that is modded far more makes no sense.

It is pretty easy to see the M156 has more potential. It's a bigger motor, it revs higher, etc. If it got the same attention it would be no contest. Sticking big turbos on a GTR is great, yippe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it got the same attention it would be no contest.
    But it doesn't and never will.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But it doesn't and never will.
    Does not mean the M156 isn't the better motor as it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does not mean the M156 isn't the better motor as it is.
    Don't use "better" word. There are other parameters that together show what motor is better and what motor is worse. But definitely VR38 is a mod friendlier motor than M156. and IMHO, if M156 gets the same attention, still it won't be as impressive as VR38. Why? How much money JRCART has spent on his engine build? He spent big money and when you spend big money, the attention part that you were pointing at in 2 posts ago, is no longer the most important part. I don't know exactly how much money he has payed to Weistec, but i figure it's about the same as what AMS asks for Alpha Omega.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are other parameters that together show what motor is better and what motor is worse.
    Modability does not prove what motor is designed better. The M156 ultimately has more headroom and is more impressive. It is simply a better motor. A twin turbo V6 really isn't all that exciting. A 7200 rpm 6.2 liter V8 capable of putting out over 500 whp naturally aspirated sure is. And with some big turbos... well, it would be no contest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Both the M156 and VR38 are great engines IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @george Have you seen any cars you're interested in? Got pics? Made any decisions?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
    @george Have you seen any cars you're interested in? Got pics? Made any decisions?
    I am trying to negotiate a decent trade in but at the moment the dealers that have them in stock are taking no prisoners. Best offer I have gotten on a trade in is R540,000 for my 26,000km '09.Click here to enlarge