Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Renntech Camshafts for the C63

MHP are claiming that they are first to get a file for camshafts and install them. Well look what I found out guys:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-23436.html

Apparently they did this not long ago with thier C74 with a decent dyno sheet. They havent released anything yet to the public.I do know that they are coming out with a new airbox. Maybe this will be new as well. this was all on 93 Octane

Good Job RenntechClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by SLS AMG; 03-04-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    MHP are claiming that they are first to get a file for camshafts and install them. Well look what I found out guys:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-23436.html

Apparently they did this not long ago with thier C74 with a decent dyno sheet. They havent released anything yet to the public.I do know that they are coming out with a new airbox. Maybe this will be new as well. this was all on 93 Octane

Good Job RenntechClick here to enlarge
    That is interesting, good find. 501 RWHP on a DynoJet, though? C63's have hit that with stock cams. Pretty vague, too... just one line on a dragtimes listing - no word from Renntech about any of this.

MHP hit at least 520 RWHP on a DynoJet with their cams, which (while expensive) are AFAIK the first option available to the public.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    That is interesting, good find. 501 RWHP on a DynoJet, though? C63's have hit that with stock cams. Pretty vague, too... just one line on a dragtimes listing - no word from Renntech about any of this.

MHP hit at least 520 RWHP on a DynoJet with their cams, which (while expensive) are AFAIK the first option available to the public.
    That is true, but I think we need to note that according to the dragtimes.com slip, this car does not have any race ported heads, unlike the MHP car. One other thing, this car does not have longtubes in contrast with the MHP car. Finally, We all well know that the renntech M156 tuning is very moderate and is not aggresive like MHP. Therefore, I'm assuming that the gains achieved from the camshafts are somewhat similar to the gains that MHP has recieved. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That is true, but I think we need to note that according to the dragtimes.com slip, this car does not have any race ported heads, unlike the MHP car. One other thing, this car does not have longtubes in contrast with the MHP car. Finally, We all well know that the renntech M156 tuning is very moderate and is not aggresive like MHP. Therefore, I'm assuming that the gains achieved from the camshafts are somewhat similar to the gains that MHP has recieved. Click here to enlarge
    You say "the MHP car" like there's only one? Dodger's C63 made 500+ RWHP with stock cams and AFAIK has stock heads.

The dragtimes list for the entry you posted clearly states that the car has long-tube headers.

I've never heard any Renntech tunes called "very moderate" before? This car's trap speed is near the top of tune/header C63's (Hartmut drove it to an 11.6 @ 125), with only allegedly short-tube headers, RT tuning, RT airbox, and DRs. 124-125 traps appear very common for longtube-equipped cars... so if the RT car went 125 with shorties and minimal mods, I'm not sure how we could consider the tuning "very moderate."

Regardless, we'll have to see if these RT cams ever reach production for their full catalog of M156 wares, or if they keep 'em in their back-pocket for customers who want more power out of a custom-spec'd build. That is, of course, assuming that this wasn't simply a data-entry error on a dragtimes slip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

You say "the MHP car" like there's only one? Dodger's C63 made 500+ RWHP with stock cams and AFAIK has stock heads.

The dragtimes list for the entry you posted clearly states that the car has long-tube headers.

I've never heard any Renntech tunes called "very moderate" before? This car's trap speed is near the top of tune/header C63's (Hartmut drove it to an 11.6 @ 125), with only allegedly short-tube headers, RT tuning, RT airbox, and DRs. 124-125 traps appear very common for longtube-equipped cars... so if the RT car went 125 with shorties and minimal mods, I'm not sure how we could consider the tuning "very moderate."

Regardless, we'll have to see if these RT cams ever reach production for their full catalog of M156 wares, or if they keep 'em in their back-pocket for customers who want more power out of a custom-spec'd build. That is, of course, assuming that this wasn't simply a data-entry error on a dragtimes slip.

You could be very right. It might be just a typo. I really do think that these are not longtubes. Renntech never had longtubes. Thier defenition of Longtubes I think is diffrent for them. they dont have headers similar of that likr MHP or MBH.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Since I know more about that specific car, I'm going to try to shine some light on the subject. RENNtech's C63 hit the 11.6 second mark with mid-length headers not their short tube version.

The RENNtech tuning was known to be more conservative than others back in the W211 E55 world. It has since grown to be a bit more aggressive but in my opinion, it is no where near as aggressive as some of the other companies - and many still do consider them conservative in relation to others.

You could be very right. It might be just a typo. I really do think that these are not longtubes. Renntech never had longtubes. Thier defenition of Longtubes I think is diffrent for them. they dont have headers similar of that likr MHP or MBH.
    RENNtech has recently (a year or so ago) developed full long-tube headers for the C63 and they are a tri-y design which looks more similar to the MBH than to MHP's.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    Since I know more about that specific car, I'm going to try to shine some light on the subject. RENNtech's C63 hit the 11.6 second mark with mid-length headers not their short tube version.
    If that's true, they should fix the description on this timeslip data:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20357.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

That's a lot of N/A raw power. Who needs a blower?Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

If that's true, they should fix the description on this timeslip data:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20357.html
    You are indeed correct. At the time, they had no interest in long-tube headers, so they called both versions of the headers "shorties". However, one version of the headers was conservative (standard shorty headers) and one was a little more "aggressive" and a little longer (mid-length) but it was still only in prototype mode.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You are indeed correct. At the time, they had no interest in long-tube headers, so they called both versions of the headers "shorties". However, one version of the headers was conservative (standard shorty headers) and one was a little more "aggressive" and a little longer (mid-length) but it was still only in prototype mode.
    If you're aware of this car, do you know if it has custom Renntech camshafts, per the OP's post? Or could this be a mistake/typo in dragtimes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

If you're aware of this car, do you know if it has custom Renntech camshafts, per the OP's post? Or could this be a mistake/typo in dragtimes?
    I can NOT state this publicly without permission from them first, but I will say that it does not have stock cams.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I can NOT state this publicly without permission from them first, but I will say that it does not have stock cams.

I think that is the answer we are all looking for. Therefore, Renntech are the first to test and tune camshafts for the M156 and they did not even brag about it. Thats whats cool about them. Do you know if they have anything lined up for the SLS M159?
    Last edited by SLS AMG; 03-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think that is the answer we are all looking for.
    I've found Exeenom to be very precise in the way he words things. By saying it doesn't have stock cams, he didn't state specifically that it has custom aftermarket cams. Certainly, it might mean that; or it might mean it has SLS cams.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I think that is the answer we are all looking for. Therefore, Renntech are the first to test and tune camshafts for the M156 and they did not even brag about it. Thats whats cool about them. Do you know if they have anything lined up for the SLS M159?
    They were looking into bigger intake a few month back, but I don't know what's the status on that project at the moment. In terms of NA setup, I think there's not much left to do to the SLS other than what you've already done. Your car has the best parts and best mods for M159 NA setup. If you feel you need more power, the only logical step would probably be a supercharger. It's too bad that nobody is working on an aggressive twin turbo package such as the ones offered for the Lambo's and Ferrari's Click here to enlarge
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Very vague but at least it might imply this is an area Renntech is exploring. Although I think if there was more to it or if they were ready for public consumption we would all definitely know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Why would you not be able to state it if the dragtimes entry already does state it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

They were looking into bigger intake a few month back, but I don't know what's the status on that project at the moment. In terms of NA setup, I think there's not much left to do to the SLS other than what you've already done. Your car has the best parts and best mods for M159 NA setup. If you feel you need more power, the only logical step would probably be a supercharger. It's too bad that nobody is working on an aggressive twin turbo package such as the ones offered for the Lambo's and Ferrari's Click here to enlarge
    Lambo's and Ferrari's are mid-engine so they have the space.

A positive displacement supercharger feels amazing though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Interesting development with the recent announcement from MHP selling cams for the M156. Wonder if they are just reselling the Renntech cams ????

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Wonder if they are just reselling the Renntech cams ????
    No - 100% sure of it. MHP isn't selling Renntech cams, and I'm sure Renntech isn't using MHP's cams either.

MHP's cams were first available in October of 2010... the hardware wasn't the issue - matching appropriate ECU tuning was. That part (the tuning) was just accomplished recently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

No - 100% sure of it. MHP isn't selling Renntech cams, and I'm sure Renntech isn't using MHP's cams either.

MHP's cams were first available in October of 2010... the hardware wasn't the issue - matching appropriate ECU tuning was. That part (the tuning) was just accomplished recently.
    Gotcha. Seems like the tuning is the key....and we still don't know who MHP is using for tuning ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    and we still don't know who MHP is using for tuning ?
    Well some do...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Damn right.

Its Kevin Bolton

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Portman Click here to enlarge
    Damn right.

Its Kevin Bolton
    The MHP website thanks Kevin Bolton Photography for a video compilation project that was completed on Keith's C63.

Here you go:

http://kboltonphotography.com/?page_id=6

Yeah, I'm sure that guy is also custom tuning the Bosch ME9.7 for MHP's billet cam upgrades. Makes sense... nicely done, Sherlock.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Looool. It the same person my dear Watson. Andy is listing him as a photographer when he is really the tuner. That douchebag doesn't have employees. Since when did he thank any photographers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Portman Click here to enlarge
    Looool. It the same person my dear Watson. Andy is listing him as a photographer when he is really the tuner. That douchebag doesn't have employees. Since when did he thank any photographers?
    Did you even visit the link I posted above? How about this one:

http://kboltonphotography.com/?page_id=9

You're claiming that Andy's comment "thanks to Kevin Bolton Photography" on the C63 video compilation description from the MHP website, is his way of "secretly" telling everyone who the tuner is, while all along he and his clients have kept that info close to the vest intentionally. Do you realize how dumb that is?

And while that alone is crazy, let's assume for a second that you're right. That would mean that also, Andy (with Kevin Bolton, presumably), as some elaborate hoax/joke, created this "kboltonphotography.com" domain name and photography website for someone who actually is an elite ECU tuner and not a photographer? Seriously... that's what you think is happening? Wow.

Here's what I think: Kevin Bolton is a photographer in Florida, who took pictures (see Kevin's "portfolio" link) and compiled a video of Keith's car. Andy used the video on his website, so he gave credit where it was due.

You guys have a way with misinformation and conspiracy theories... it's a shame, because it ultimately winds up hurting Germanboost's credibility as an automotive website.
    Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 03-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast