Close

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Does the 2012 Mercedes E63 AMG exhaust note with the new twin turbo M157 still sound good? M157 and M156 exhaust comparison

    Everyone should know how great the M156 naturally aspirated V8 E63 AMG sounds. A great growl with a slight exotic touch that only gets more and more glorious as it approaches its 7200 rpm redline. The switch to turbo motors in BMW's has removed much of the aural pleasure associated with the powerplants. We are happy to say the E63 AMG switching to turbos has not diminished its sound quality and the M157 sounds amazing. Check the videos below for proof and to compare to the M156.

    Click here to enlarge

    M157 E63:


    M156 E63:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115
    Rep Points
    169.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Both sound awesome but the M157 sounds absolutely brutal!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by _AMG_ Click here to enlarge
    Both sound awesome but the M157 sounds absolutely brutal!
    What I was thinking.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hawaii/Texas (business)
    Posts
    134
    Rep Points
    127.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    "Both sound awesome but the M157 sounds absolutely brutal!"
    +1 !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Both sound incredible!

    I saw a E63 Estate in a flat silver paint. Freaking awesome. I want one as my future family bus... Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Both sound incredible!

    I saw a E63 Estate in a flat silver paint. Freaking awesome. I want one as my future family bus... Click here to enlarge
    Saw an E63 yesterday. Don't know why I didn't like the W212 at first but now I find it stunning.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    385
    Rep Points
    512.7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The videos are misleading, the M157 video is filmed from much closer and with a different camera which obviously has a better microphone. I've heard both cars in person and the M157 video is actually pretty true-to-life. No small wonder that Jorrie guy's car videos are really popular, he does great work. In reality the M156 is significantly louder and sounds a little more raw, but both are undeniably great engines.

    I'm actually even more impressed by the sound of the M157 because we all know how much more work it takes to make a turbocharged engine sound nice and loud. BTW if you haven't experienced the new AMG TT motors, do yourself a favor and go drive one they are simply insane.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    The videos are misleading, the M157 video is filmed from much closer and with a different camera which obviously has a better microphone. I've heard both cars in person and the M157 video is actually pretty true-to-life. No small wonder that Jorrie guy's car videos are really popular, he does great work. In reality the M156 is significantly louder and sounds a little more raw, but both are undeniably great engines
    You do make a very good point on the quality of the recording. I'm just impressed with the sound of the M157.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Points
    339.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I've heard the new Cls63 TT exhaust note compare to my C63 in person. The C63 is definitely louder and pops.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,266
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ive gotten to drive an m156 e63 and the video of it doesnt present it as well as the video of the m157. Both sound pretty bad ass though

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -228.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Now look what BMW does with a TT V8 Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Now look what BMW does with a TT V8 Click here to enlarge
    You mean the M5's silent exhaust that lets out giant farts on up shifts.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -228.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You mean the M5's silent exhaust that lets out giant farts on up shifts.
    Yeah. What a soulless awful sound.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You mean the M5's silent exhaust that lets out giant farts on up shifts.
    And apparently needs synthetic noise...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hawaii/Texas (business)
    Posts
    134
    Rep Points
    127.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You do make a very good point on the quality of the recording. I'm just impressed with the sound of the M157.
    +1

    I'd like a milder version of the sound for my '12 E550C, but if it's too loud I'll just look like a poser.Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dueclaws Click here to enlarge
    +1

    I'd like a milder version of the sound for my '12 E550C, but if it's too loud I'll just look like a poser.Click here to enlarge
    The 550 can back it up a hell of a lot better than it used to be able to...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    42
    Rep Points
    63.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    well they both sound good but really like the 63 sounds better Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by saeedg48 Click here to enlarge
    well they both sound good but really like the 63 sounds better Click here to enlarge
    Yes, both cars M156 & M157 sounds good! Here's a sample M157 by RENNtech


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •