Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No

    MHP Showing Success with Camshaft upgrades.

    The testing is on Dads car. The gains looks pretty decent thus far.

    I quote Dads: " 520rwhp/463rwtq, baseline was 478rwhp/446rwtq SAE, still tuning N/A and +42rwhp/17rwtq so far!!!"
    "No loss of TQ anywhere!!!"

    Click here to enlarge

    This is quite a interesting development. Normally when something like this happens it means a camshaft manufacturer has had blanks made suitable for the M156. If this is the case we will soon start seeing quite a few options from tuning houses. I am also wondering if one of the surprises Weistec is going to reveal is camshafts.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    So who is making them and who is tuning? You know, so we can give credit where it is due?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So who is making them and who is tuning? You know, so we can give credit where it is due?
    With them you never know but I reckon it's a major step for MHP to get this far. I don't know if these are re-profiled stock cams or if they are made from scratch. If they are from scratch it's a major under taking to make the blanks because if memory services me correctly the variable cam sprockets are one piece with the cam but I stand corrected in this aspect. As for R&D any reputable camshaft manufacturer can yield decent gains first shot so I only buy the long r&d if I see pictures of the five cam sets that didn't work. The price on his site is crazy though No matter what the gains are- $8000 Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    With them you never know but I reckon it's a major step for MHP to get this far. I don't know if these are re-profiled stock cams or if they are made from scratch. If they are from scratch it's a major under taking to make the blanks because if memory services me correctly the variable cam sprockets are one piece with the cam but I stand corrected in this aspect. As for R&D any reputable camshaft manufacturer can yield decent gains first shot so I only buy the long r&d if I see pictures of the five cam sets that didn't work. The price on his site is crazy though No matter what the gains are- $8000 Click here to enlarge
    $8000 is steep but maybe some guys really want to remain NA. For them, the cams/heads are an area they need to look into.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Points
    339.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Mhp do make one of the best LTs.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,069
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    MHP (Andrew) is a reseller. LT, Tuning, Camshafts, or whatever you see on his webpage is not done in house. Andrew sold camshafts to a C63 here in Qatar without having a tuning file for it (he knows exactly which car I'm talking about). Car was losing power. He kept claiming he was going to have a file pretty soon. 14 months is not pretty soon. Guess why?. its not his project. The man had to remove the camshafts and replace them with the Stock ones.

    Charging $8000 is just ridicoulous people. I would think more than twice when dealing with resellers. you have a M156/M159 platform. you should always deal directly with your tuners and stay away from resellers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    MHP (Andrew) is a reseller. LT, Tuning, Camshafts, or whatever you see on his webpage is not done in house. Andrew sold camshafts to a C63 here in Qatar without having a tuning file for it (he knows exactly which car I'm talking about). Car was losing power. He kept claiming he was going to have a file pretty soon. 14 months is not pretty soon. Guess why?. its not his project. The man had to remove the camshafts and replace them with the Stock ones.

    Charging $8000 is just ridicoulous people. I would think more than twice when dealing with resellers. you have a M156/M159 platform. you should always deal directly with your tuners and stay away from resellers.
    And just as a rule of thumb don't deal with lying scumbags who take credit for other peoples work and overcharge their customers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    With them you never know but I reckon it's a major step for MHP to get this far. I don't know if these are re-profiled stock cams or if they are made from scratch. If they are from scratch it's a major under taking to make the blanks because if memory services me correctly the variable cam sprockets are one piece with the cam but I stand corrected in this aspect. As for R&D any reputable camshaft manufacturer can yield decent gains first shot so I only buy the long r&d if I see pictures of the five cam sets that didn't work. The price on his site is crazy though No matter what the gains are- $8000 Click here to enlarge
    IIRC, MHP's M156 camshafts are from scratch - not re-profiled stock.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    MHP (Andrew) is a reseller. LT, Tuning, Camshafts, or whatever you see on his webpage is not done in house. Andrew sold camshafts to a C63 here in Qatar without having a tuning file for it (he knows exactly which car I'm talking about). Car was losing power. He kept claiming he was going to have a file pretty soon. 14 months is not pretty soon. Guess why?. its not his project. The man had to remove the camshafts and replace them with the Stock ones.

    Charging $8000 is just ridicoulous people. I would think more than twice when dealing with resellers. you have a M156/M159 platform. you should always deal directly with your tuners and stay away from resellers.
    To be fair, I don't know any european-vehicle tuners who make their cams (the topic of this thread) in-house. AFAIK, Kleemann used (uses?) Schrick, for example. Along that same line, I would also guess Weistec doesn't physically manufacture their M156 blower from scratch - they "resell" one made by someone else for their kit. Doesn't mean it's any less worthy of an accomplishment. Everyone outsources to some degree... some more than others.

    Keith's car is up to 684 rwhp and 723 rwtq, with these cams and Nitrous. Will be interesting to see what sort of tracktimes it achieves.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    MHP (Andrew) is a reseller. LT, Tuning, Camshafts, or whatever you see on his webpage is not done in house. Andrew sold camshafts to a C63 here in Qatar without having a tuning file for it (he knows exactly which car I'm talking about). Car was losing power. He kept claiming he was going to have a file pretty soon. 14 months is not pretty soon. Guess why?. its not his project. The man had to remove the camshafts and replace them with the Stock ones.
    Well did he get a refund?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    To be fair, I don't know any european-vehicle tuners who make their cams (the topic of this thread) in-house. AFAIK, Kleemann used (uses?) Schrick, for example. Along that same line, I would also guess Weistec doesn't physically manufacture their M156 blower from scratch - they "resell" one made by someone else for their kit. Doesn't mean it's any less worthy of an accomplishment. Everyone outsources to some degree... some more than others.
    Schrick is basically the only company with the budget to do this stuff properly for the major Euros.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    631.3
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well did he get a refund?
    I never knew that you had this good of a sense of humor my friendClick here to enlarge

    He probably received it after Jrcarts refundClick here to enlarge

    $100 bucks says, I know who will not like this postClick here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    I never knew that you had this good of a sense of humor my friendClick here to enlarge

    He probably received it after Jrcarts refundClick here to enlarge

    $100 bucks says, I know who will not like this postClick here to enlarge
    Wanted to ask to see if it was a pattern.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,069
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    No refund was given. Just claims that the file was going to be ready soon. The man now has a weistec supercharger with a wiestec software.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    Rep Points
    -37.0
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    $8000 YOU MUST BE OUT YOUR $#@!ING MIND!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    $8000 YOU MUST BE OUT YOUR $#@!ING MIND!
    Exactly.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    No refund was given. Just claims that the file was going to be ready soon. The man now has a weistec supercharger with a wiestec software.
    Sorry to hear about the refund.

    A Weistec SC will help him forget all about it.

    Is he on the forums?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,069
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear about the refund.

    A Weistec SC will help him forget all about it.

    Is he on the forums?

    Yes, believe me, he was also very pissed. I dont think he is on benzboost. He is on Mbworld.org though.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    Yes, believe me, he was also very pissed. I dont think he is on benzboost. He is on Mbworld.org though.
    Show him the light, see if you can get him over here so we can hear what he has to say.

    Referrals are the fastest way to earn rep...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Schrick is basically the only company with the budget to do this stuff properly for the major Euros.
    I would tend to disagree with you. If the camshaft blanks where made available by someone willing to manufacture enough there are at least four companies local to me that can cut the cams to any specs needed. There are about six Cam Doctor machines that are available in my area alone. So its just a matter of trying different configurations and seeing which one works.
    If the blanks do not exist then its a different kettle of fish as making billet cams is a completely different story as you will have to do each test cam out of big blocks of steel which will require major $$$$$.
    I reckon the market is minimum in the big guys eyes for these camshafts otherwise Schrick would have jumped on it already. They do sell cams that have only got 10hp gains but I think the demand has been non existent for a M156 cam.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So who is making them and who is tuning? You know, so we can give credit where it is due?
    So you going to carry on giving the ingredients the credit and not the Chef. In that theory then Vortech should get most the credit for all the Charged M3's and which ever tuner each company uses.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I would tend to disagree with you. If the camshaft blanks where made available by someone willing to manufacture enough there are at least four companies local to me that can cut the cams to any specs needed. There are about six Cam Doctor machines that are available in my area alone. So its just a matter of trying different configurations and seeing which one works.
    If the blanks do not exist then its a different kettle of fish as making billet cams is a completely different story as you will have to do each test cam out of big blocks of steel which will require major $$$$$.
    I reckon the market is minimum in the big guys eyes for these camshafts otherwise Schrick would have jumped on it already. They do sell cams that have only got 10hp gains but I think the demand has been non existent for a M156 cam.
    I have to disagree with you as I know of nobody other than Schrick which actually tests various cam upgrades for various German motors. Like the S65, S85, S54, etc.

    I would not be surprised if Schrick had a role in these.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    So you going to carry on giving the ingredients the credit and not the Chef. In that theory then Vortech should get most the credit for all the Charged M3's and which ever tuner each company uses.
    Vortech gets their credit. Who makes an SC kit and does not list the SC used?

    MHP on the other hand lists tunes, exhausts, and now cam upgrades without listing who is responsible. Essentially, portraying themselves as the ones doing it instead of acting as a reseller (which they are).

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Vortech gets their credit. Who makes an SC kit and does not list the SC used?

    MHP on the other hand lists tunes, exhausts, and now cam upgrades without listing who is responsible. Essentially, portraying themselves as the ones doing it instead of acting as a reseller (which they are).
    The way I see it is everyone commissions work out. Gintani doesn't form their intake manifold in their workshop. They do not state who makes it? Yet they get the credit for the full charger kit. In this case MHP had the balls to get some cams made by god knows who, they managed to get the software to agree as well and the car gained power. They orchestrated it all therefore they should get the credit. If the project failed they would be out of pocket.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,125
    Rep Points
    31,300.6
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    The way I see it is everyone commissions work out. Gintani doesn't form their intake manifold in their workshop. They do not state who makes it? Yet they get the credit for the full charger kit. In this case MHP had the balls to get some cams made by god knows who, they managed to get the software to agree as well and the car gained power. They orchestrated it all therefore they should get the credit. If the project failed they would be out of pocket.
    I'm pretty sure they list who makes their hardware used like the SC. The intake manifold is their design unless you know something I don't?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure they list who makes their hardware used like the SC. The intake manifold is their design unless you know something I don't?
    I think you missing the point. Cutting the cams is the most simplest part once you got the blank. Billet cutting is also simple but costs $$$$. Getting the profiles and lift right is another story but if you got blanks its easy to experiment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •