Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Engine oil usage on my C63

I had my C63 for over two years now. When it had only like 10k miles I've noticed it burned oil. Maybe 1/2 quart every 1k miles. Now the car has 24k miles. Did a oil change over 2k miles ago. I checked the oil level. It read full. Seems these engines take longer to really break in? I've always been driving her hard.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is very normal for these motors, mine burns a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles or so.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You know I'd love to know why the hell that is? My BMW N63 burns a qt every 2-3k and when I asked BMW they assured me it wasn't the motor itself but rather the turbo'd which were built to burn some oil to extend their life. I have a feeling that's BS and I think the valve stem seals suck or the PTW clearance is a bit slack. Now seeing your NA motors do the same I'd almost bet that's it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    You know I'd love to know why the hell that is? My BMW N63 burns a qt every 2-3k and when I asked BMW they assured me it wasn't the motor itself but rather the turbo'd which were built to burn some oil to extend their life. I have a feeling that's BS and I think the valve stem seals suck or the PTW clearance is a bit slack. Now seeing your NA motors do the same I'd almost bet that's it.
    The S65 V8 eats oil and so did my S54...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My N54T in the 1M burned a quart of oil, and it's only at 6,700 miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The S65 V8 eats oil and so did my S54...
    That's what I mean it's not turbo's so I guess it's just really loose clearances, kind of disappointing when you consider the cost of these motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what I mean it's not turbo's so I guess it's just really loose clearances, kind of disappointing when you consider the cost of these motors.
    I'm down for loose clearances when it improves the reliability of the motor. I doubt it's due to bad design or manufacturing.

What IS annoying though, is not having a damn dipstick!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I'm down for loose clearances when it improves the reliability of the motor. I doubt it's due to bad design or manufacturing.

What IS annoying though, is not having a damn dipstick!
    But does it really? Those two motors sticky mentioned have been known to have issues with poor clearances and motors going bad. If you look at two Honda engines I have a bit of experience with(the C32B and F20C) they both are high compression high output NAmmotors that don't consume oil and are known for great reliability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But does it really? Those two motors sticky mentioned have been known to have issues with poor clearances and motors going bad. If you look at two Honda engines I have a bit of experience with(the C32B and F20C) they both are high compression high output NAmmotors that don't consume oil and are known for great reliability.
    I don't know much about F20C oil consumption, but I do agree it is an awesome motor! They really don't consume any oil, even when driven hard frequently?

I wonder if any of this has to do with modern PCV/emission control setups....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I don't know much about F20C oil consumption, but I do agree it is an awesome motor! They really don't consume any oil, even when driven hard frequently?

I wonder if any of this has to do with modern PCV/emission control setups....
    I mean I'm sure they consume some but not an appreciable amount to where you need to constantly be checking to make sure your not running low. For example on my N63 the maximum amount still okay by BMW is 1qt/700 miles which seems pretty crazy to me where the supercharged s2000 I've worked on maybe went through .5qt between oil changes 4-5k miles. Pcv could definitely be a culprit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My M156 doesn't burn any oil whatsoever. Always full and always clean and clear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not too surprised high revving motors need a bit of oil.

It depends on how you drive the car as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm not too surprised high revving motors need a bit of oil.

It depends on how you drive the car as well.
    Yeah, my car didn't call for oil until after autocross this last weekend. By the way, I got Top Time of the Day on practice but didn't go out on Sunday due to weather.

I was ahead of a new Boss 302 Mustang, a Lotus Super 7 on A compound Hoosiers, and a Silver SMG M3 on what looked like R888 proxies or similar racing slick.

My 1M is stock. Stock PS2s. I love it even more now. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    That is very normal for these motors, mine burns a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles or so.
    Mine didnt burn any oil since last oil change. Which was 2k miles ago. It did when the motor was new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    Mine didnt burn any oil since last oil change. Which was 2k miles ago. It did when the motor was new.
    It's probably because of the synthetic used, when we build race motors we never break em in with synthetic always conventional for start up then the first tune. After it's been run in real hard we change oil and you can put whatever in then. That was a mistake I made with my N63, I baby'd it like BMW recommends when I really wanted to run it hard right at the beginning. When we went easy on other motors it took much longer for the rings to seat and they didn't seal as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's probably because of the synthetic used, when we build race motors we never break em in with synthetic always conventional for start up then the first tune. After it's been run in real hard we change oil and you can put whatever in then. That was a mistake I made with my N63, I baby'd it like BMW recommends when I really wanted to run it hard right at the beginning. When we went easy on other motors it took much longer for the rings to seat and they didn't seal as well.
    It was burning oil until like 18k miles. Now its at 24k miles. Always been using synthetic Mobil 1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    My M156 doesn't burn any oil whatsoever. Always full and always clean and clear.
    Luke, you must be one of the lucky few because a vast majority of the M156 motors burn oil, even my AMG tech that services my car at the dealership says that a quart every couple thousand miles is normal on the M156s.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mine doesn't burn oil either.... but I usually don't let it go beyond 5,000 miles without an oil change. Maybe I will leave it longer and see how it reacts...
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    All high performance engines burn oil..

My lil bro's Type R engine does, my 126" harley does, my parents 69 firebird and 76 trans am, both with built race engines burn oil..

Even my 2000 GMC 2500 work truck burns oil..

Id have to say its normal.