Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

General AMG Questions

Wanting to purchase an E55 or E63 for my soon to be wife. She’s now driving an accord, but I need something more fun. I know NOTHING of Mercedes. Would be looking for pre-owned. I’ve heard mid-2000s MBs have poor build quality… what are the most costly/extensive problems I should expect?
    Engine/drivetrain solid and will last awhile?
    Are repair fairly straight forward, or can you get into trouble having to really tear into the car?
    I’m a little worried about the air suspension… probably not very difficult in DIY, but costly.
    How about electronics?

Any thoughts on going for the M113 ML55 or M156. 6.2 has the 7 speed tranny, but handles less torque. I don’t plan on modding, but you never know.

How about module interfacing like for datalogging, trouble shooting, ect… pretty straight forward like other platforms?

The beginning research on any platform is a little overwhelming at first.

How about the E550... modifiable and worth the money savings?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep the Accord. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it was for you, I'd tell you to risk it - they are such sweet cars, however, whether or not to get one for your soon to be wife depends on a couple of questions
    1) will you be footing the repair bills, her, or both of you (stuff doesn't break non stop but when it does, it's usually VERY expensive)
    2) does she like cars and driving fast (if she likes driving fast but can care less about cars - don't get it, it's only going to be trouble; if she doesn't like going fast - DEFINITELY don't get it - it'll scare her and only bad things happen then - honestly get her a charger SRT8 at that point and call it a day)
    3) a major difference between the Accord and the E55/63 is 93 octane at 13 mpg in the city - this will actually deplete your account quicker than maintenance. . .
    as far as "tearing" in - spark plugs are a 3-4 hour job with about the same amount for parts (16 plugs). . .

they are great cars but unless you have a passion for them, their "quirks" can be a bit much to handle. . .
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I could better advise if I saw what said wife looks like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My wife (and I) really liked our last AMG and almost purchased another this year, but opted for the '12 E550C. She loves it and I agree. IMHO, the E550C is good looking, subtle (not loud), quick, handles great (ours is always in Sport mode), and has decent brakes.

And my said wife is great looking Cougar! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys... I think she would like it a lot... she's safe and can handle my FBO Meth 335i MT just fine. The thing she doesn't like is NO manual for the AMGs, but she's never really driven an Auto so I think it would be a nice change... plus we could switch cars if she wanted to drive a MT. E350 is a possibility... much more practical. 5-series, audi are the others routes but I'm kinda set on MB. I have no probs DIYing my own maintenance and fairly good at learning new cars, but chasing electrical is what I can't handle.

Sticky, start a germanboost members significant others thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, start a germanboost members significant others thread.
    Only if you guys promise to post pics.