Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Multiple accidents on one icy/snow road!!!

http://www.streetfire.net/video/cars...ut_2365316.htm

I've lived in Chicago for the most part of my life and always thought we had bad winters, but have never seen so many accidents on one single street.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Damn even AWD doesnt help! People dont realize this.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

when it's ice it's ice you would need AWD with studs and even that requires a pro driver at the wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Embedded:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="SFID1327631180642">
    Cars Sliding _ Crashing in Bountiful, UT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Street fire has crappy embed code.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You are from Chicago? Same here - you have an M by chance? I don't see too many e9x Ms but see more with the S54... Almost all of them are the e46 M3. Anyhoo - curious where you are at in Chicago.

This is the most amazing video I have seen. I was just showing my g/f - so she understands it doesn't matter if you are going 5 or 75 - in these cases, you need to feel this coming; if you don't you are screwed.

I can't imagine what was going on in these people's heads. Almost all of these cars/trucks probably had ABS, Traction Control, Vehicle Vector Control (a million names for this) - but still got screwed by the ice/snow... Pretty good thing to keep in the back of your head while it's snowing. You can usually feel the traction loss early on, but some parts of a road may be 100x worse than the one you were just on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    You are from Chicago? Same here - you have an M by chance? I don't see too many e9x Ms but see more with the S54... Almost all of them are the e46 M3. Anyhoo - curious where you are at in Chicago.

This is the most amazing video I have seen. I was just showing my g/f - so she understands it doesn't matter if you are going 5 or 75 - in these cases, you need to feel this coming; if you don't you are screwed.

I can't imagine what was going on in these people's heads. Almost all of these cars/trucks probably had ABS, Traction Control, Vehicle Vector Control (a million names for this) - but still got screwed by the ice/snow... Pretty good thing to keep in the back of your head while it's snowing. You can usually feel the traction loss early on, but some parts of a road may be 100x worse than the one you were just on.
    So then how do you suggest countering it? Easing back on the gas instead of hard on the brakes like most of these people did?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

People are stupid and think they can just drive like weather doesn't affect them. I live in northern indiana Nd drove my 1m to work today. The traction control kicked in a couple times but no big deal...you k.ow why? Because I know.how to drive.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So then how do you suggest countering it? Easing back on the gas instead of hard on the brakes like most of these people did?
    Sticky, you can't go hard on the brakes in these conditions, even with ABS - you just slide - you actually need gas (not a lot, just dabs) once you start sliding to bring you back. . .(I grew up in Chicago); Now, whenever it snows (on the east coast and good Lord do they NOT know what to do with snow here), I go out at 1:00 - 1:30 am and "re-certify" my winter driving skills - I try to slide out of control and get it back. . .unfortunately, after about 30 mins, it turns into me doing power slides around 90 turns and doughnuts in the neighborhood. AWD/4 wheel drive is great for going straight and turning but does nothing for you when it comes to stopping. The first thing I noticed in that video was the subtle decline. . .any type of decline in those weather situations are bad - gravity totally working against you. . .
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by motorkas Click here to enlarge
    I try to slide out of control and get it back. . .unfortunately, after about 30 mins, it turns into me doing power slides around 90 turns and doughnuts in the neighborhood.
    Now that sounds like a reason to drive in the winter Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

That's an excellent question, but really without sounding like a jack-ass has no answer. I have taken some racing "lessons" at different places (from karting to real cars) - but this will NOT prepare you for what I have seen in this video. The Swedish really take driving seriously, a driver's license to them is like a freaking final exam to us in college.

They don't screw around - and they practice all scenarios, from severe weight distribution change on ice (e.g. over a hill braking) to oversteer on ice (yes, they actually teach this). From what I can see in the video - most of us (not excluding me) would have f***ed up. That was a bad situation, where you have most of the weight under your front tires, but are using them to try and brake (under panic) - once they are locked up, you cannot steer. period.

I honestly think this was a "freak" situation - as I said in the last post, the were probably driving along without any "weird feeling" - and then hit this icy hill... It was really probably panic that caused this - my thoughts are, we should be aware of these things in weather conditions like this. Imagine getting a nice pair of Blizacks - on your M3, everything is all well and good, instead of going 10 down that hill, you were just doing some "power slides" around corners... You are now doing 30 instead of 10 - think of what that would look like in that video.

To summarize, I don't know if I would have came out of that differently. That guy was taking video for a reason. Click here to enlarge

Hope this makes a little sense.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

But yes, personally - (hope this would happen - who knows when things like this happen so quickly) - I would try to use throttle to keep the car straight. Keep the car in a low gear to let the rear tires do some of the braking, and then go from there...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Most people can drive decent...but just barely under the best conditions. Throw something like this at your average driver and this is what happens - I call lots of people "idiots" and "dumbasses" but these people are just simply not capable of performing under these conditions - it's not their fault. Lots of people get themselves into trouble and sometimes dead when they attempt something they are not capable of.

99% of people cannot handle this type of driving because it takes tremendous skill, a very light touch, smooth inputs under braking, steering angle and throttle and LOTS of really good anticipation. You have to use the pedals like there is an egg under each of them and you have to give very small and light steering inputs. Most people don't realize a car only do three things; accelerate, brake and corner. When you make a car do more than one of those things at the same time you lose stability, traction and varying degrees of control.....it's car control 101 and when you throw ice and snow into the mix it just makes it worse and harder to maneuver. If you watch the video closely and look at the rotation of these peoples tires and steering angle, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not hard when you know what you're doing but to expect these barely average drivers on a good day to cope with conditions like these is simply not going to happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I've lived in Chicago for my entire life, but just recently moved to Michigan. I still go back there once every month though. I don't own an M. I have a 335i. I rarely saw e9x M's also in Chicago but always saw the E46 M3's there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

They don't have proper winter tires and they don't know how to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Same 'tards cant drive when its warm, sunny and dry. Most are incapable of multitasking throttle, turn signal, steering wheel, and looking to change lanes all at the same time... Only gets worse with weather