Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about RC cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I wanted the SC10 4X4 but the belt system freaks me out a little. Although I heard tons of good reviews.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Brushless is WAY faster than brushed and if you're concerned with too high of speed for your son just throttle it back with a lower powered battery, a 6 or 7 cell 3000 vs the 8 cell 5000 that I recomended earlier. You will be kicking youself in the ass if you waste money on a brushed motor, I made that mistake myself.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will probably get the stampede 4X4 VXL chassis and a 550 brushed motor..

I have lots of electronics I can re-use from my old battlebot.
    Now you got me thinking about an RC boat...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    Brushless is WAY faster than brushed and if you're concerned with too high of speed for your son just throttle it back with a lower powered battery, a 6 or 7 cell 3000 vs the 8 cell 5000 that I recomended earlier. You will be kicking youself in the ass if you waste money on a brushed motor, I made that mistake myself.
    A brushed motor is 20 bucks. The brushless ESC and motor is like 150. I dont want to spend 400 on this $#@!ing car it's just a little present... He likes trucks and this would be cool, I dont need it to do wheelies just drive around the grass and $#@!.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Now you got me thinking about an RC boat...
    I got one of those too, its nitro powered and goes about 65mph and is almost 5 feet long. Its badass.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

If you end up getting a Stampede, I honestly would spend the extra bucks and get the VXL with the brushless motor. There is very little maintenance with the brushless, just oil the bearings, plus it's a LOT more efficient so the batteries last a lot longer. The Traxxas ESC's also have a training mode which puts you at 50% power for the kids. Face it, you'll want to play as well, so you might as well have the option to make it fun. Also, the 2.4ghz radio is where it's at. There is no interference like the 27/49/75 mhz stuff. I wouldn't worry about going with traxxas. Parts are everywhere, hell you can go to pepboys for parts! Some of the parts are a little weak, but there is a huge aftermarket for them. I have Stampedes and Slashes in various stages littered around the garage.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

A brushed motor is 20 bucks. The brushless ESC and motor is like 150. I dont want to spend 400 on this $#@!ing car it's just a little present... He likes trucks and this would be cool, I dont need it to do wheelies just drive around the grass and $#@!.
    Like I said, this hobby isnt exactly cheap, however if you do look into the sc10 4x4, don't worry about the belt system, just keep the tensioner clean and make sure nothing is mis aligned. Then again if this is for you kid, just go to pepboys and buy a slash 4x4, call it a day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

I got one of those too, its nitro powered and goes about 65mph and is almost 5 feet long. Its badass.
    Where do you use that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Like I said, this hobby isnt exactly cheap, however if you do look into the sc10 4x4, don't worry about the belt system, just keep the tensioner clean and make sure nothing is mis aligned. Then again if this is for you kid, just go to pepboys and buy a slash 4x4, call it a day.
    He might as well get something he can have fun with too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where do you use that?
    a pond that backs up to my house, I have taken it on bigger lakes but if the water gets even a little choppy its difficult to control, the smalller bodies of water work best, plus if it breaks down its a fairly simple retreval.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I used to be big into RC boats. Had a miss budwieser twin motor monster.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You guys are killing me with re living my youth.

I had cars first, then planes, then boats, and even an old Mantis helicoptor, fixed pitch, NO gyro, it was a beast to fly. One too many cart wheels of death watching parts fly everywhere ended my choptor experience, LOL

Boats were really fun, had a Prather DV with a K/B 7.5 nitro. Would do about 50+MPH. Used to piss off ALL the local fishermen with this one. The noise coming from pipe was a pure symphany to my ears.

Ah $#@! it, I am calling Tower hobbies today, see yeah and to buy somehting now!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge

I had cars first, then planes, then boats, and even an old Mantis helicoptor, fixed pitch, NO gyro, it was a beast to fly. One too many cart wheels of death watching parts fly everywhere ended my choptor experience, LOL

Boats were really fun, had a Prather DV with a K/B 7.5 nitro. Would do about 50+MPH. Used to piss off ALL the local fishermen with this one. The noise coming from pipe was a pure symphany to my ears.

Ah $#@! it, I am calling Tower hobbies today, see yeah and to buy somehting now!!!
    Ahhh now your doing it to me....

I remember one time messing around with my RC in front of my friends house. As Jim stated, obnoxiously loud. We were setting up ramps and jumping it all over the place.

Finally someone set the ramp a bit to high. I hit the jump at full speed. The truck easily 4 feet in the air. It landed so hard that the servo that controlled the throttle and the steering battery packs flew out of the truck. It pinned full throttle and took off down the block. Just as it was about to cross a main street with lots of traffic a cop turned the corner. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooommmm... A gas powered RC car goes flying past the cop car screaming loud doing 50 mph crosses the street with all the traffic (missed every car somehow) and nails the curb at top speed. It exploded into many many pieces. It had a metal chassis and it was bent badly. Pretty much the car was totaled.

The cop pulled up and said... "Well that takes care of that" and before he drove away said "and thats why you dont drink and drive" LOL. I was holding a beer. LOL

Good times...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by propain Click here to enlarge

I remember one time messing around with my RC in front of my friends house. As Jim stated, obnoxiously loud. We were setting up ramps and jumping it all over the place.

Finally someone set the ramp a bit to high. I hit the jump at full speed. The truck easily 4 feet in the air. It landed so hard that the servo that controlled the throttle and the steering battery packs flew out of the truck. It pinned full throttle and took off down the block. Just as it was about to cross a main street with lots of traffic a cop turned the corner. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooommmm... A gas powered RC car goes flying past the cop car screaming loud doing 50 mph crosses the street with all the traffic (missed every car somehow) and nails the curb at top speed. It exploded into many many pieces. It had a metal chassis and it was bent badly. Pretty much the car was totaled.

The cop pulled up and said... "Well that takes care of that" and before he drove away said "and thats why you dont drink and drive" LOL. I was holding a beer. LOL

Good times...
    LOL

I had almost the same thing with my OFNA HORDA 4x4 off roader. I was showing off with some freinds drinking in the winter, most of the road was dry. Anyway, this thing had a two speed tranny, and would easily hit80+, think 1/8 scale, 3.5cc engine spinning near 50,000 rpm here. Anyway, I hit a puddle by mistake, stupid me, and the throttle locked, shortyly after the battery pack came flying out, LOL.

The car went straight for a busy street, hit the stop sign, bounced off and headed down the street. All you heard was a REAL car locking up its breaks, and then slilence. He ran me over, almost totaled, but I did rebuild her. The look on the guys face, priceless, LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Good times...

Hahaha funny story...

Im going to try and have that not happen to me though.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

I would love to get into the RC planes, I think they are so damn cool, but I'm sure I would just crash them LOL. I actually bought a very cheap beginer one many many years ago but I never finished bulding it and eventually just threw it away. Theres a RC plane park a couple miles from my house, some of the planes these guys have are nuts, there are a few that have fighter jet looking ones with actuall jet turbine engines on them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

The jets are the most expensive toy in the world.. Those things can easily end up at 50 grand for an accurate scale setup.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I would love to get into the RC planes, I think they are so damn cool, but I'm sure I would just crash them LOL. I actually bought a very cheap beginner one many many years ago but I never finished bulding it and eventually just threw it away. Theres a RC plane park a couple miles from my house, some of the planes these guys have are nuts, there are a few that have fighter jet looking ones with actuall jet turbine engines on them.
    Those jets are cheap, or easy my friend. The turbine alone go for almost 10K. The real trick is that you only have about 1 mile range. At 200+ MPH, you have to be on your game, or its sianor 15K plane, LOL

Planes are cool, I flew several back in the day. Sig Kadet trainer, Sig cougar, and I forget my pattern plane. I did have a good one with my cougar. I had the wings painted silver both top and bottom. One day, I was doing a pattern of rolls, and I noticed I was a little low. Pulled back on the stick, and she headed for the ground as the plane was inverted at the time. Anyway, plane survived with one grass stain on the wing tip. Took her home, and promptly painted an American flag on the top of the wing so I could identify her better, LOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The jets are the most expensive toy in the world.. Those things can easily end up at 50 grand for an accurate scale setup.
    Check ebay my friend, as you can buy a turn key jet for around 15K from the best in the business. You would be VERY hard press to put 50K into one. Although ANYTHING is posiable.

Side note: I still have my 1/16 scale King tiger tank in my home theater roomClick here to enlarge

I think she is due for a charge.

PS: check out youtube for some cool jet chrashes. Just type in RC jet crash and enjoy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Check ebay my friend, as you can buy a turn key jet for around 15K from the best in the business. You would be VERY hard press to put 50K into one. Although ANYTHING is posiable.

Side note: I still have my 1/16 scale King tiger tank in my home theater roomClick here to enlarge

I think she is due for a charge.

PS: check out youtube for some cool jet chrashes. Just type in RC jet crash and enjoy.
    I would never buy a jet.

Look at this guy.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ill take this... Slow and awesome... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

LOL

I had almost the same thing with my OFNA HORDA 4x4 off roader. I was showing off with some freinds drinking in the winter, most of the road was dry. Anyway, this thing had a two speed tranny, and would easily hit80+, think 1/8 scale, 3.5cc engine spinning near 50,000 rpm here. Anyway, I hit a puddle by mistake, stupid me, and the throttle locked, shortyly after the battery pack came flying out, LOL.

The car went straight for a busy street, hit the stop sign, bounced off and headed down the street. All you heard was a REAL car locking up its breaks, and then slilence. He ran me over, almost totaled, but I did rebuild her. The look on the guys face, priceless, LOL
    HAHAH... Good story! Once you lose those battery packs its all over. Later on I bought a different servo that didnt have that problem. If it lost power it would cut out. Just needed on the throttle. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

HAHAH... Good story! Once you lose those battery packs its all over. Later on I bought a different servo that didnt have that problem. If it lost power it would cut out. Just needed on the throttle. Click here to enlarge
    I hear youClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I would never buy a jet.
    He either BETTER be an ex fighter pilot, or he needs to get a hooby away from his hobbyClick here to enlarge

Had to rep you for this my friend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Ill take this... Slow and awesome... Click here to enlarge
    There is a better one where a guy has this plane, but with a launchable/funtionable XK-1 rocket on it. The one where Chuck Yager brooke the sound barrier. Sorry for spelling. Look at youtube for it as I am still at work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast