Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Evaluate my workout routine

Just want input on this from guys with more experience, @BoostAddict in particular. How does this routine look?

I know abs are not listed which I really need to get on I just hate doing them. I know that needs to be added.

In addition, it's hard to work your back with dumbells.

Are 3 sets enough with 12 reps? So far 3 has been working for me and I'm starting to see some changes. I do the lifting every two days as I'm not that sore anymore like I was when I first started. I'm also really minimizing time in between sets which feels like it has made a nice impact. Cardio is every day.

Look it over and tell me what you think should be added/changed/etc.:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You forgot sitting in front of the TV eating sour cream and cheddar cape cod chips and watching your favorite movie on netflix.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    You forgot sitting in front of the TV eating sour cream and cheddar cape cod chips and watching your favorite movie on netflix.
    That's post workout.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

After post work out, he works the wrist thanks to the Bang bros. thread Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

You guys are tons of help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

A friend told me about a Study of a US university where they discovered that 10 min intense cardio workout helps to burn more fat and less muscle than 1 hour of regular cardio. I started doing a 10 min workout in the threadmill. 1 minute running in a normal pace and the next minute an ALL OUT sprint, this until you make it to the 10 minutes. Then I do another 10 minutes at a regular pace. I dont know if its really helping me more fat that 1 hour of regular cardio, but its really starting to help my muscles since I saw some improvement in volume in the last 2 months. Nothing crazy though, but I dont work out to become a gorilla.

About the sets, Im no gym junkie, but I think if your goal is to achieve more volume, if you're doing 3 sets, you could add more wieght and do less reps, i.e. 8 reps. I also organize the wourkout for the day per zone, monday: chest and back, tuesday: arms and shoulder, wednesday: legs, etc... Always muscles that are close.

Some of this stuff I also read it on the gym workout thread here in bimmerboost or mercboost i dont remember.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Just to confirm, the goal is to cut some fat and add some muscle mass, correct?

Full body workouts aren't bad. I assume you are going to do this 3 days per week. What I would do is start from the bottom of this list and work your way up. I like to do accessory exercises after the primary movement. 3 sets of 12 are fine for hypertrophy training. The thing you need to concentrate on is the muscle. Say you are doing tricep extensions. During the entire set, I want you to focus on trying to flex your tricep. Don't go through the sets to fast. Control it.

As for the cardio portion, I agree with Boosted1. I would probably start the workout with a brisk walk with the highest incline your treadmill will allow. Do that for 5-10 minutes. Post Workout, Sprints on the tread mill. Cycle between 45 seconds to 1 minute of sprinting, and a 2 minute walk. Repeat 10 times. Sprints should be done at 90%. The idea here is to decrease the amount of time between sprints.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Just to confirm, the goal is to cut some fat and add some muscle mass, correct?
    Correct.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    As for the cardio portion, I agree with Boosted1. I would probably start the workout with a brisk walk with the highest incline your treadmill will allow. Do that for 5-10 minutes. Post Workout, Sprints on the tread mill. Cycle between 45 seconds to 1 minute of sprinting, and a 2 minute walk. Repeat 10 times. Sprints should be done at 90%. The idea here is to decrease the amount of time between sprints.
    I like the hour of cardio on the eliptical at high intensity though as I know I'm keeping my heart healthy. I'll just add sprints in addition on the treadmill.

Is that enough lifting exercises to see gains though and work my muscles?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Incline dumbell press is better than flat. Try to incorperate it.

Shrugs are worthless. At least from my experience. I never do them and I have big and defined traps. Upright rows are the way to go here.

No legs? Lunges, squats. Super high resistance elliptical on leg days are needed.

Pull ups? Try to get a bar for the door frame.

Nutrition is everything though. Make sure you eat every 2 hours. Small meals and LOTS of protein and complex carbs. I keep my carbs low to lean out. I drink 4 protein shakes a day. 50g of protein per shake 220 cal. I posted my meal plan once before on here.

Cardio for me is a 5K run 3 days a week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by propain Click here to enlarge
    Shrugs are worthless. At least from my experience. I never do them and I have big and defined traps. Upright rows are the way to go here.
    I'm feeling the shrugs!

No legs? Lunges, squats. Super high resistance elliptical on leg days are needed.
    I just do a bunch of high intensity cardio so why would I want to lift with my legs as that would just make my legs sore and make the cardio far more difficult?

I do super high resistance elliptical, I'm the elliptical master now lol.

Pull ups? Try to get a bar for the door frame.
    I can only do 3 pull ups as of right now anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Incline dumbell press is better than flat. Try to incorperate it.
    Why is incline better?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm feeling the shrugs!

Might just be the soreness from the upright row. People are different. I used to only do shrugs and very little upright row and my traps werent that good. I stopped the shrugs and
    went to very heavy uprights and saw huge gains.

I just do a bunch of high intensity cardio so why would I want to lift with my legs as that would just make my legs sore and make the cardio far more difficult?

It wont, it actually makes cardio easier. The 1st and 2nd week will only be the problem. After that your leg muscles will help your cardio and help you go longer and stronger. Aside from that legs are essential to working out and you wont get anywhere near the shock to them by doing cardio alone.

I do super high resistance elliptical, I'm the elliptical master now lol.

LOL. Thats good.

I can only do 3 pull ups as of right now anyway.

Keep at it. The more you do them the more you will be able to do. If you cant do wide with your palms facing away close the grip a bit. If that doesnt work turn your palms to you. Like a curl. Not as good but it will help you improve.

If I could only do 3 things...

Squats
    Dead Lifts
    Pull ups

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Why is incline better?
    Upper chest is usually much weaker than middle and lower. By doing upper chest you will improve everything. Doing just flat will not improve your upper. Lets say you max out on your flat bench with 120 lb bells. Change it up for a month so to incline. For one you will not be able to lift anywhere near as much at first. Once you do though switch back to flat and watch how much you have improved on it without even doing it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

It wont, it actually makes cardio easier. The 1st and 2nd week will only be the problem. After that your leg muscles will help your cardio and help you go longer and stronger. Aside from that legs are essential to working out and you wont get anywhere near the shock to them by doing cardio alone.
    I'm trying to figure this out since everyone keeps mentioning legs to me although my legs are in the best shape of any of my body parts.

Ok, so let's say I add two leg workouts a week. Should I do cardio on those days? Should I do cardio the next day or let them rest?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm trying to figure this out since everyone keeps mentioning legs to me although my legs are in the best shape of any of my body parts.

Ok, so let's say I add two leg workouts a week. Should I do cardio on those days? Should I do cardio the next day or let them rest?
    1 leg day a week is all you need. 3 Cardio days.

My workout...

Weights

M- Chest
    T- Legs
    W- Back
    T- Shoulders
    F- Bi- Tri
    S- Off
    S- Off

Cardio

M- 5K at 7pm
    T- Off
    W- 5K at 7pm
    T- Off
    F- 5K at 7pm
    S- Off
    S- Off

Meal plan-

M-F stick to the plan
    Saturday- Eat whatever I want (within reason of course, beers and burgers are fine, 3 whoppers 3 times a day and finish it up with a giant ice cream is not fine) I mean things like whole eggs instead of whites and Bacon on my egg sandwich ect. Not junk food.

Sunday- Eat whatever breakfast I want and back on plan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I havent read the thread because I am drinking and too lazy, but do you do all those workouts every other day? And are you just starting out?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Since you only have dumbells, do some lunges...You will need some legs.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Whats your goal sticky? Beef up or slim down?

Talked to various friends who are big work-out buffs, they do 6-month intervals:
    1) strength training (bulk up) -6 months
    2) cardio (get lean)-6 months

repeat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

@Sticky must have a vacation coming up...lol
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

this seems about right, if only i could go to the gym year round at my school.

i would get a gym membership and some one on one time with a trainer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    I havent read the thread because I am drinking and too lazy, but do you do all those workouts every other day? And are you just starting out?
    I am doing every two days right now but cardio is every day.

I guess I'll add in a day for my legs and then take cardio off the day after.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky must have a vacation coming up...lol
    I'm heading to Europe for New Year's so.... ya. I just want these last 10 pounds to $#@!ing come off and they don't want to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm heading to Europe for New Year's so.... ya. I just want these last 10 pounds to $#@!ing come off and they don't want to.
    100% nutrition. Also you are doing to much cardio. Cardio every day means you will lose mass. So you will find yourself skinny, but weak. Its a delicate balance if you do it naturally.

Your other option is just do some HGH. The fat will just melt off. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

In response to whomever said shrugs are worthless. I use to feel the same way. Now it has led me to having a weaker upper back and rear delt. It actually has hindered my deadlift progress.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

anything physical works as long as you do it for a long time and keep your nutrition uptake.
    i dunno what some people smoke in here but you need to do 5-10 min cardio before any work out, if you don't after a 10 years your heart will be $#@!ed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast