Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
    You have a hard time saying you're wrong i see. Real enthusiasts saw this move coming a mile away, anyway some guys are making over 600whp on the stock blower and crap intercooler i cant wait to see what heavily modded guys put down with this blower. Click here to enlarge
    Ohhhh, you just predicted that Weistec would be the only one to tackle it huh?

Count your blessings they are doing it because the point about the M156 market being more relevant stands considering that motor is still in production.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ohhhh, you just predicted that Weistec would be the only one to tackle it huh?

Count your blessings they are doing it because the point about the M156 market being more relevant stands considering that motor is still in production.
    Sticky, not looking to get between a debate with you and FT, but a motor's aftermarket relevance isn't heavily tied to whether or not it's still in production, IMHO.

IMHO, It's tied to how well (or poorly) the original manufacturer engineered and also how well they (over)built the motor. The 2JZ-GTE has been out of production for 10 years, but still has a huge aftermarket following today. The Porsche Mezger motor is essentially out of production (still technically in production in a couple limited editions, i.e. GT2RS and GT3RS4.0), but still is very relevant. The BMW inline sixes from the E36 and E46 M3 still have a big following. Etc, etc. New and better hardware are being developed for these motors all the time, because the demand is there.

For the M113K platforms, I think it's great that Weistec is engineering a kit... but I'll be interested to see how much demand they garner. I'd expect the half-dozen hardcore racers who're trying to set platform records will jump all over these... but would the average guy? Remains to be seen. Either way, kudos to Weistec in expanding their product catalog - should be a good move for them, I'd think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, not looking to get between a debate with you and FT, but a motor's aftermarket relevance isn't heavily tied to whether or not it's still in production, IMHO.

IMHO, It's tied to how well (or poorly) the original manufacturer engineered and also how well they (over)built the motor. The 2JZ-GTE has been out of production for 10 years, but still has a huge aftermarket following today. The Porsche Mezger motor is essentially out of production (still technically in production in a couple limited editions, i.e. GT2RS and GT3RS4.0), but still is very relevant. The BMW inline sixes from the E36 and E46 M3 still have a big following. Etc, etc. New and better hardware are being developed for these motors all the time, because the demand is there.

For the M113K platforms, I think it's great that Weistec is engineering a kit... but I'll be interested to see how much demand they garner. I'd expect the half-dozen hardcore racers who're trying to set platform records will jump all over these... but would the average guy? Remains to be seen. Either way, kudos to Weistec in expanding their product catalog - should be a good move for them, I'd think.
    Bingo
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    171mph at The Texas mile 2011.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Whether a motor is in production still is a large factor as it determines the potential client base. There are more M156 motors out there plus still being produced on high performance cars with owners who have money and are willing to mod. I bet you there are more heavily modded CLK63's than S55's for example due to the type car and the type of owner which is just one factor.

The Porsche motor with the GT1 block you are referring to went into the 911 turbo for over a decade which is model that is traditionally heavily modified. The 996tt for example is picked up often just to be tuned, like a Supra but more refined. The Mercedes tuning scene doesn't even come close to approaching it.

It's great to see the M113 kompressor motor get some more attention but it is nowhere near as relevant as the M156 today both in the aftermarket and in market saturation. We'll see how this develops, glad they are doing it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Whether a motor is in production still is a large factor as it determines the potential client base. There are more M156 motors out there plus still being produced on high performance cars with owners who have money and are willing to mod. I bet you there are more heavily modded CLK63's than S55's for example due to the type car and the type of owner which is just one factor.

The Porsche motor with the GT1 block you are referring to went into the 911 turbo for over a decade which is model that is traditionally heavily modified. The 996tt for example is picked up often just to be tuned, like a Supra but more refined. The Mercedes tuning scene doesn't even come close to approaching it.

It's great to see the M113 kompressor motor get some more attention but it is nowhere near as relevant as the M156 today both in the aftermarket and in market saturation. We'll see how this develops, glad they are doing it.
    I get what you're saying, but there are other factors too... for example, a lot of M156-engined vehicles are still under factory warranty, because they're within the 4-years/50k miles period from new. Not the case for M113K motored AMGs. Some owners wait until the factory warranty expires before cracking the checkbook for "heavy" or extensive mods.

Additionally, I'm not so sure with your example... or, said differently, I'd probably take that bet. Click here to enlarge There are lots of S55's out there, and quite a few get pulley/tune/exhaust mods for sizeable gains over stock. There aren't many CLK63's, and fewer still "heavily modded" ones - most people AFAIK aren't heavily modding the regular CLK63 cab, and the CLK63BS was a one-model-year limited edition - some, sure, but not many are being "heavily modded."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I get what you're saying, but there are other factors too... for example, a lot of M156-engined vehicles are still under factory warranty, because they're within the 4-years/50k miles period from new. Not the case for M113K motored AMGs. Some owners wait until the factory warranty expires before cracking the checkbook for "heavy" or extensive mods.
    True but technically all E92's are still under the factory warranty yet how many SC's have shipped? It is due to the vehicle and owners. M3 owners want to mod, more so than 545 owners for example.

Additionally, I'm not so sure with your example... or, said differently, I'd probably take that bet. There are lots of S55's out there, and quite a few get pulley/tune/exhaust mods for sizeable gains over stock. There aren't many CLK63's, and fewer still "heavily modded" ones - most people AFAIK aren't heavily modding the regular CLK63 cab, and the CLK63BS was a one-model-year limited edition - some, sure, but not many are being "heavily modded."
    Well, until now the S55 could only do bolt on's so if we go by extensive modification including supercharger upgrades I win by default Click here to enlarge CLK63's as used in my example were to denote owners who buy them more as a performance toy and just want to continue to mod in that direction. The vast majority of S55's are owned by older gentlemen who bought them for themselves or for their wives because it was an expensive S-class not because it was a good performance platform. The CLK63 makes much more sense in this regard, as does the C63, C63 BS, M3, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The fact that a engine is currently in production or not has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the after-market. Use the 5.0L V8 in the 80's era mustangs for example, this is commons sense.
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well, regardless of what Weistec's motivation was in offering a larger displacement supercharger for the M113K, it will be very interesting to see performance data.

.... Especially if one of the higher displacement M113Ks were used! (e.g. Havoc who had 0.2L extra displacement).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mainah Click here to enlarge
    Well, regardless of what Weistec's motivation was in offering a larger displacement supercharger for the M113K, it will be very interesting to see performance data.

.... Especially if one of the higher displacement M113Ks were used! (e.g. Havoc who had 0.2L extra displacement).
    Just watch how much power the ported heads/cam full exhaust guys make on race gas
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
    The fact that a engine is currently in production or not has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the after-market. Use the 5.0L V8 in the 80's era mustangs for example, this is commons sense.
    It has everything to do with it. There are a lot of M156's out there and they keep coming not to mention in high performance models that makes great modification platforms. The M156 Black Series cars for example.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I am pretty curious to why this blower would be a 3.0L and the M156 is only a 2.3L
    2.3 is all they could fit under the hood of the C63 without having to build a custom hood and wanted to avoid people having to change or alter their hoods.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Thread bump!

Any news on the supercharger?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

No new news that I know of.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123