Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just what I have seen E63's and C63's put down.
    That dyno can't be accurate.

Look at this link: http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...nger-srt8.html

No way does the 6.4L in the Dodge SRT8 put down 452 rwhp stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That was a fun one to put together... really $#@! slapped someone with that.
    Nothing like having experts to tell it like it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    That dyno can't be accurate.

Look at this link: http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...nger-srt8.html

No way does the 6.4L in the Dodge SRT8 put down 452 rwhp stock.
    It's an optimistic dynojet, definitely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's an optimistic dynojet, definitely.
    Looking at the Dodge for example, even if you attribute only 15% drivetrain loss for the automatic (which is unrealistically conservative) the engine would be making 531 bhp.

If you apply a 15% loss to the SLS with the DCT the bhp would be 620 bhp, almost 60 bhp more than MB claims.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Looking at the Dodge for example, even if you attribute only 15% drivetrain loss for the automatic (which is unrealistically conservative) the engine would be making 531 bhp.

If you apply a 15% loss to the SLS with the DCT the bhp would be 620 bhp, almost 60 bhp more than MB claims.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to losses, manufacturers aren't really following the rules any longer. The 1M is highly underrated for example.

There are a lot of questions about that dyno as Insideline always has very high numbers but anyone can use that same dynojet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to losses, manufacturers aren't really following the rules any longer. The 1M is highly underrated for example.

There are a lot of questions about that dyno as Insideline always has very high numbers but anyone can use that same dynojet.
    I hear you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The 1M is an interesting car regarding dynoes, as it was told to me on this site that the 1M community chooses to test in STD correction, which will show higher numbers than SAE, and that's the preferred method in most circles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

The 1M is an interesting car regarding dynoes, as it was told to me on this site that the 1M community chooses to test in STD correction, which will show higher numbers than SAE, and that's the preferred method in most circles.
    It just depends. I wouldn't say the community as a whole tries to do that but most dynos are in STD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It just depends. I wouldn't say the community as a whole tries to do that but most dynos are in STD.
    Fair enough.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I wasn't comparing the stock mapping with respect to specific byte sequence and programming, obviously the tuning is different to compensate for the different hardware used in the two engines--like I previously said above.

I am suggesting that the M159 is not tuned more aggressively than the M156 with respect to timing, and that the difference in hardware is what is responsible for the difference in hp. Afterall, the SLS is sold in places like CA, which has low pump octane, so there simply is not too much more room on the table to make the tunes more aggressive.

I don't see how the M159 makes as much more hp than the M156 as you suggest. Obviously, the DCT contributes to less power loss to the wheels, but the car starts out with like 560 bhp, which is not much more than the M156, and is easily attributable to the more performance-oriented hardware, like cams, and the intake/exhaust components.
    Yes, the M159 advertised flywheel power it's more than just that by AMG. But, the seen dyno reality in difference gap it's much more than just saying M156 525ps vs. M157 571ps ... which some would assume only a 46 hp gain difference on paper =)

The transmission would indeed play a small role. The difference between 7 Speedshift Benz torque converter, wet-clutch MCT vs. dry DCT. From what I've read it was like 3% improvement over torque converter type.

From a hint, M159 does have more aggressive deltas (it can be seen by any compatible dataloggers). But, to solve that issue, the fast fuel/knock adaptation built into every Motronic (long time ago) is what makes not just the SLS, Ferrari's, etc. or any other models able will run on less than optimal/favorable World fuels & be a Global car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, the M159 advertised flywheel power it's more than just that by AMG. But, the seen dyno reality in difference gap it's much more than just saying M156 525ps vs. M157 571ps ... which some would assume only a 46 hp gain difference on paper =)

The transmission would indeed play a small role. The difference between 7 Speedshift Benz torque converter, wet-clutch MCT vs. dry DCT. From what I've read it was like 3% improvement over torque converter type.

From a hint, M159 does have more aggressive deltas (it can be seen by any compatible dataloggers). But, to solve that issue, the fast fuel/knock adaptation built into every Motronic (long time ago) is what makes not just the SLS, Ferrari's, etc. or any other models able will run on less than optimal/favorable World fuels & be a Global car.
    Good points.

Regarding the octane issue, though, even though ECU's can pull timing, it's still not a perfect situation. My M156 pings from probably 1/3 tanks of gas that I fill up with. Shell is the most consistent for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Good points.

Regarding the octane issue, though, even though ECU's can pull timing, it's still not a perfect situation. My M156 pings from probably 1/3 tanks of gas that I fill up with. Shell is the most consistent for me.
    Shell/Chevron from my experience as well works pretty good! The stock cars M156/M159 will ping slightly in hot/humid weather, but not enough to get alarmed since AMG built the engine with heavy duty tri-metal bearings and strong piston.

Yes, it's recommended in the US to use Top tier gasoline by some auto manufactures (http://www.toptiergas.com/). Also, some gas station tend to have more ethanol content than what they claim, that in short period will cause it to detonate (but, with the right amount of injected gas/ethanol "volume", it could be beneficial & give some power)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Shell/Chevron from my experience as well works pretty good! The stock cars M156/M159 will ping slightly in hot/humid weather, but not enough to get alarmed since AMG built the engine with heavy duty tri-metal bearings and strong piston.

Yes, it's recommended in the US to use Top tier gasoline by some auto manufactures (http://www.toptiergas.com/). Also, some gas station tend to have more ethanol content than what they claim, that in short period will cause it to detonate (but, with the right amount of injected gas/ethanol "volume", it could be beneficial & give some power)
    Good info. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12