Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Renntech new Intake

              
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    279
    Rep Points
    67.7
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Renntech new Intake

    Check this out guys. Renntech Developed a new airbox for the M156 63 platform. despite having an awful and expensive exhust system and a moderate tune, thier previous airbox was actually the best. I wonder how much gain(if any) this airbox can give and if it requires tuning???

    Carlsson have a similar airbox that resembles the SLS intake. Its making about 38HP.

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks like a very interesting airbox. Surprised I haven't gotten details on this yet, going to see what I can dig up.

    What's up with the bolt and large font? Editing your text.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    279
    Rep Points
    67.7
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like a very interesting airbox. Surprised I haven't gotten details on this yet, going to see what I can dig up.

    What's up with the bolt and large font? Editing your text.
    I see you reduced the pic's size. I didnt know how to do that. I hade to enlarge the text. thank you for fixing it for me

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Portman Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see you reduced the pic's size. I didnt know how to do that. I hade to enlarge the text. thank you for fixing it for me
    Pictures automatically resize, click to enlarge.

    I fixed the text, no prob.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    638
    Rep Points
    567.0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    40 hp gain would be a great addition to the M156 mod list in my opinion....
    2007 E63 P30

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    40 hp gain would be a great addition to the M156 mod list in my opinion....
    It would be excellent but it remains yet to be demonstrated if the gains are that large.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm thinking tuning would be necessary to make sure AFR and drivability stays in line (i.e., no bucking, surging). This is simply to big of a difference in air intake from the stock setup. And it looks like the TB's are now external? Either way, I'm loving this design and I would really love to see some insulated airboxes in the corners where the filters are, like this (just want to add that PetroC63 mentioned the utility of insulated airboxes in another thread on this topic):

    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinking tuning would be necessary to make sure AFR and drivability stays in line (i.e., no bucking, surging). This is simply to big of a difference in air intake from the stock setup
    Agreed. Wonder how different the SLS M159 tune is from the standard M156 tunes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Wonder how different the SLS M159 tune is from the standard M156 tunes.
    Well, the cams are different, from what I understand. So, that should account for some differences. Also, the air intake setup/TB's, and I think exhaust manifolds.

    I'm just guessing here, but I think it's reasonable to say that the SLS's tuning isn't necessarily more aggressive than, say, an E63 tune, but given the differences in hardware, the SLS's tune probably just finely integrates all the components so the car runs smooth. I attribute the SLS's extra power to the difference in cams and airflow, with the tuning just making it run smoother, not really adding any extra timing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    670.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It's not an Airbox, it's a whole intake manifold!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    670.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Wonder how different the SLS M159 tune is from the standard M156 tunes.
    They are indeed very different from M156. Since M159 has different profiles camshaft, intake manifold bellmouth+runner distance & plenum volume, exhaust manifold, etc. So in the end, it will make +40rwhp... So now the M159 Black Series 600hp will even be better supposedly compared to standard M159.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not an Airbox, it's a whole intake manifold!
    Interesting... any dyno figures or pricing? More details?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    670.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SLS's tuning isn't necessarily more aggressive than, say, an E63 tune
    There's no guess, the M159 SLS it's a whole different calibration compared to the M156. And, I don't think you can compare a E63 tune to this; since the M159 stock makes ~75-95rwhp (Dynojet) more than the average stock CLK63 M156 Black Series.

    AMG did their homework very well w/o modifying heads & raising compression. Also, they added dry sump lubrication system for track use.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no guess, the M159 SLS it's a whole different calibration compared to the M156. And, I don't think you can compare a E63 tune to this; since the M159 stock makes ~75-95rwhp (Dynojet) more than the average stock CLK63 M156 Black Series.

    AMG did their homework very well w/o modifying heads & raising compression. Also, they added dry sump lubrication system for track use.
    I wasn't comparing the stock mapping with respect to specific byte sequence and programming, obviously the tuning is different to compensate for the different hardware used in the two engines--like I previously said above.

    I am suggesting that the M159 is not tuned more aggressively than the M156 with respect to timing, and that the difference in hardware is what is responsible for the difference in hp. Afterall, the SLS is sold in places like CA, which has low pump octane, so there simply is not too much more room on the table to make the tunes more aggressive.

    I don't see how the M159 makes as much more hp than the M156 as you suggest. Obviously, the DCT contributes to less power loss to the wheels, but the car starts out with like 560 bhp, which is not much more than the M156, and is easily attributable to the more performance-oriented hardware, like cams, and the intake/exhaust components.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously, the DCT contributes to less power loss to the wheels
    Not by much.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This is what Inside Line states for the SLS they dynoed:

    "Yup, she's a stout one. Peak torque of 447 lb-ft was recorded at 4,900 rpm, and peak power of 527 horsepower was reached right at the 6,850-rpm fuel cut. When you factor in driveline loss, this bird is making at least what Benz claims, and likely more."

    Personally, I don't buy it. I don't see MB underestimating the power from the factory. I've seen plenty of dynos that read up to 100 rwhp higher than other dynos, so taking one particular dyno and comparing it's numbers to the factory claimed numbers doesn't mean anything.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not by much.
    I agree.

    Would you say that a traditional manual contributes to less rwhp loss than a DCT?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you say that a traditional manual contributes to less rwhp loss than a DCT?
    Enjoy: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...on)-vs.-Manual

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what Inside Line states for the SLS they dynoed:
    Link?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Link?
    http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...z-sls-amg.html

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good amount of power on top of a standard M156 looks like:

    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks. Very good read. I've wondered about this for a while. I'm glad I know now.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    806
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good amount of power on top of a standard M156 looks like:

    http://blogs.insideline.com/straight..._chart-new.jpg
    Which dyno run are you comparing to?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which dyno run are you comparing to?
    Just what I have seen E63's and C63's put down.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    102,360
    Rep Points
    24,750.6
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    248


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks. Very good read. I've wondered about this for a while. I'm glad I know now.
    That was a fun one to put together... really $#@! slapped someone with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •