Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ken was the West Coast Sale Director for Renntech. He flashed all the files on Mercedes tuned at Dyno-Comp (formally Renntech's West Coast Headquarters) or the west coast. If adjustments to the tunes needed to be made the file was sent back to RT in FLA for adjusting. Yes Ken does flash Mercedes for dealers of Evotech here in the USA. I just don't know much more about Ken and Oliver's relationship, how they share files tuning software and what not. I know ken does more than just flashing, He has spent some time in Germany With Oliver at Evotech.

As for Evotech choosing to work out of Dyno-Comp. I think that just makes sence financially to do that. I also think Rich from DC likes having an in house Mercedes tuner. Due to the high volume of Mercedes DC sees. Whit that said, thats a relationship that was forged without my involvment. So I have limited info as to the decisions that were made. Rich does write is own MErcedes files, but to keep up with the needs of all the Mercedes that come in to the shop its always great to have those cars covered. Rather than spending countless hours making a new tune for every AMG that comes in.

All I know is the ECU's are not being sent to Germany. That would cost to much and take way to long. If you look at the Moscow unlimited race aka dragtimes info on You Tube. You can see a bunch of Evotech's stuff racing. You might find yourself spending some time watch all those great races.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hooleyboy Click here to enlarge
    Ken was the West Coast Sale Director for Renntech. He flashed all the files on Mercedes tuned at Dyno-Comp (formally Renntech's West Coast Headquarters) or the west coast. If adjustments to the tunes needed to be made the file was sent back to RT in FLA for adjusting. Yes Ken does flash Mercedes for dealers of Evotech here in the USA. I just don't know much more about Ken and Oliver's relationship, how they share files tuning software and what not. I know ken does more than just flashing, He has spent some time in Germany With Oliver at Evotech.

As for Evotech choosing to work out of Dyno-Comp. I think that just makes sence financially to do that. I also think Rich from DC likes having an in house Mercedes tuner. Due to the high volume of Mercedes DC sees. Whit that said, thats a relationship that was forged without my involvment. So I have limited info as to the decisions that were made. Rich does write is own MErcedes files, but to keep up with the needs of all the Mercedes that come in to the shop its always great to have those cars covered. Rather than spending countless hours making a new tune for every AMG that comes in.

All I know is the ECU's are not being sent to Germany. That would cost to much and take way to long. If you look at the Moscow unlimited race aka dragtimes info on You Tube. You can see a bunch of Evotech's stuff racing. You might find yourself spending some time watch all those great races.
    Click here to enlarge
    I'm getting a better picture, thanks.

So modification of Evotech files is essentially taking place at Dyno-Comp with Evotech's blessing and encouragement as that is Evotech USA? Just seems like we are missing a tuner there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hooleyboy Click here to enlarge
    If you look at the Moscow unlimited race aka dragtimes info on You Tube. You can see a bunch of Evotech's stuff racing. You might find yourself spending some time watch all those great races. Click here to enlarge
    Hooleyboy, I know about Moscow's Race :-). I have a question. Can Ken receive files from Oliver via OBD right now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm getting a better picture, thanks.
    I told you he would know. Click here to enlarge Short of getting it straight from DC, MBH would be able to explain exactly what they're doing, how Evotech fits, etc. Way better than others guessing, fitting pieces together from whatever's been posted here or there.

Like some other Euro tuners, AFAIK Evotech's facility, dyno-development, etc. is taking place in Germany. Why would they want their own facility and dyno in the U.S.? Just sounds like doubling capex and overhead for what would amount to a lot of redundancy. Using an established shop with their own dyno as your overseas (to them) distributor makes a heckuva lot of sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Why would they want their own facility and dyno in the U.S.? Just sounds like doubling capex and overhead for what would amount to a lot of redundancy.
    Because then they would have their own US facility for better market exposure / recognition and not need to share which I'm guessing costs money as well?

Using an established shop with their own dyno as your overseas (to them) distributor makes a heckuva lot of sense.
    It does, but you can also see how it leads to a bit of confusion. I don't doubt this all makes sense for the parties involved and if they chose to go this route I would assume it was the most logical.

I was just thinking if it was me I would prefer not to have anyone touching my files and my own facility but it seems Oliver and Ken have an agreement of sorts that works for them.

Not really a big deal just wanted to clarify it all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was just thinking if it was me I would prefer not to have anyone touching my files and my own facility...
    Sure, if you're a one-man-band, that might be the best approach - but there's only so much one person can do. Eventually you'll need other employees - ideally, those you can trust.

Take Brabus as a hypothetical. The largest and IMHO most-prominent Mercedes tuner throughout the world. Yet, for years and years, their U.S. distribution was exclusively through CEC.

Even now that they have their own U.S. operation (in your neck of the woods, AFAIK), I doubt anything is being developed there - I would guess it's purely for distribution. So, if you were the Brabus tuner in Germany creating files, and a Brabus USA client wanted a C63 tune... you probably send the file to the U.S. office to be loaded onto the client's ECU - unless they require shipping the entire ECU back and forth to Germany, which might happen but I would doubt. And let's say Brabus eventually had a rogue U.S. employee copying software and selling it to others on the DL. It's a risk they'd encounter, by not controlling the entire process in Germany at corporate HQ. Obviously it's also a criminal act and if it occurred I'd expect tuners to involve the proper authorities to protect themselves. But the point is, when you are large enough to require other employees and distribution channels in your business process - you introduce risks as well. The alternative is to just stay small forever, but most business owners are in it to grow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure, if you're a one-man-band, that might be the best approach - but there's only so much one person can do. Eventually you'll need other employees - ideally, those you can trust.
    For a tuner in Europe that makes sense but this can also be done at their facility. It doesn't matter really, their approach seems to work for them. I was just thinking more along the lines of Brabus who has their own US facilities. But yes, also a different budget there.

Kind of funny, I wrote Brabus before I read your next line that mentioned them.

Even now that they have their own U.S. operation (in your neck of the woods, AFAIK)
    Yes, they are located close to me. I thought about stopping by.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOW what a mess I remember Harmut telling me that Evotech USA was the programmer for the 02 MCS I had and Jeff Katz had done the rest in house @ RENNtech, how life changes in a few years

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    WOW what a mess I remember Harmut telling me that Evotech USA was the programmer for the 02 MCS I had and Jeff Katz had done the rest in house @ RENNtech, how life changes in a few years
    Business changes things and business evolves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Portman Click here to enlarge
    Are any of you guys runing the Evotech tune on your C63's?. ITs amazing, I had a previous tune. This is much better, especially on 4th and 5th gear. As the diffrence is pretty obvious
    Something doesn't pass the smell test here. This makes no sence. This just sounds so much like telling fantasy stories. I do not believe you even own a C63.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AMG4V Click here to enlarge
    Something doesn't pass the smell test here. This makes no sence. This just sounds so much like telling fantasy stories. I do not believe you even own a C63.
    He likely owns the car although yes the statements are a bit bogus. I don't doubt it's a quality tune but some of what was typed...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He likely owns the car although yes the statements are a bit bogus. I don't doubt it's a quality tune but some of what was typed...
    What makes you think he does? Like you said, the statements are a bit bogus. That's why I think that this is another one of those made up stories to peddle evotech stuff now. Certainly wouldn't be be the first, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What makes you think he does? Like you said, the statements are a bit bogus. That's why I think that this is another one of those made up stories to peddle evotech stuff now. Certainly wouldn't be be the first, right?
    I don't know, I haven't seen anyone make anything up to peddle Evotech stuff here ever. I just think this is a guy from Europe who is trying to show off his tune in a positive way for Evotech but we kind of have different standards in the USA. Like, timeslips and dynos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know, I haven't seen anyone make anything up to peddle Evotech stuff here ever. I just think this is a guy from Europe who is trying to show off his tune in a positive way for Evotech but we kind of have different standards in the USA. Like, timeslips and dynos.
    So the guy is from europe?? You can see that from the ip adress?
    And if he is, maybe it's the Oliver dude from evotech himself kickstarting something for the holyboy, ken, dc gang?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the guy is from europe?? You can see that from the ip adress?
    Sure, and also because he said so.

And if he is, maybe it's the Oliver dude from evotech himself kickstarting something for the holyboy, ken, dc gang?
    Nah, hooley could do that himself and I really don't think Oliver would take the time to do that on this board.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure, and also because he said so.

Nah, hooley could do that himself and I really don't think Oliver would take the time to do that on this board.
    Just kidding, still don't think he has a C63

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First and foremost, My only affiliation with Evotech is the person bringing Evotech officially to the USA happens to be a personal friend of mine. I don't even have an Evotech tune on my car. However I wouldn't hesitate to have one, Its just I dont need a tune at this time. What people should understand is just about any good tuner will get you where you need to be. There is no magic wand when it come to tuning. Kind of like most 55's and 63's end up at the same place with similar mods.

I agree with what Bret said. For the longest time Brabus only had an importer. With the size Brabus is, you would think they would have had something bigger in the USA? Pretty sure now they do. As for the Mercedes world the only real tuner here from Europe is Kleemann. In regards to having a full facility in the USA, until Brabus opened shop here.

All I can say is Evotech has been around for a while. They are popular in Europe and have been tuning BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche for a pretty long time. Only problem is their tuning results 1/4 mile numbers are some what hidden under other companies private label names. What I do know is this. For the companies the used Evotech for their tuning source basically recieved base, canned tunes. The tweeks that were made to those tunes (here in the USA were relayed to back to Evotech in Germany if adjustments needed to be made (pretty sure thats how it worked).

Personal I think its good news, that people wanting an Evotech product will be able to have the files done here int he USA, and when adjustment to maps need to be made. You dont have to go though a few people to do it. Or deal direct with the headquarters half way around the world. I think its pretty cool to have a known tuner from Germany bringing their products to the USA.

What I do know is: This is still in the beginning states. The website for Evotech is still being worked on, Evotech Reps and staffing still need to happen. As details come I can pass it on to people who what to know or to Sticky directly. Even though Ken is heading up Evotech USA and doing some tuning and flashing right now, there are things Evotech Germany and Evotech USA need to hash out. Again I don't know what those details are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I maybe wrong about this, but I recall that Evotech (Oliver) used to put out very solid tunes. Then at some point many of his tunes started becoming "too aggressive" to a degree that it actually resulted in a few engine catastrophes back in 2008 (specifically on the 55k platform)... an incident, which if some of you guys remember, also happened to take down EuroElites in the process. EuroElites was a former RENNtech dealer that was let go, which then decided to become an Evotech dealer and the only authorized distributor in the US. However, EuroElites never got to launch their Evotech USA website, and were eventually forced to shut down due to possible strong legal action by a few customers.

My understanding was that RENNtech and Evotech severed relations back in 2007/2008 for various reasons: one (big reason) being money (obviously) and another major reason being the multiple blown engines. In addition, rumor has it that Oliver is hated in many parts of the world (and by many tuner/dealers) due to either owing them money or screwing them in one way or the other. I believe Andy and a couple of other tuners has posted about this publicly on other forums.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    also happened to take down EuroElites in the process.
    Was Eurolites modifying the tunes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was Eurolites modifying the tunes?
    Nope.... they claimed they worked with Evotech (Oliver) on every tune whether it was a custom dyno tune or a canned tune. Actually, Juicee63 had their (Evotech) tune.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope.... they claimed they worked with Evotech (Oliver) on every tune whether it was a custom dyno tune or a canned tune. Actually, Juicee63 had their (Evotech) tune.
    Interesting, wonder what the reason was for those issues there but not with other distributors I would assume?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting, wonder what the reason was for those issues there but not with other distributors I would assume?
    Actually during that time period, many of the Evotech files were causing problems.... not just ones sold by EuroElites, and you can read about some of the problems on mbworld and other forums if you search the threads around that time period. I'm not sure how the tunes are right now though Click here to enlarge
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Actually during that time period, many of the Evotech files were causing problems.... not just ones sold by EuroElites, and you can read about some of the problems on mbworld and other forums if you search the threads around that time period. I'm not sure how the tunes are right now though Click here to enlarge
    I'll look into it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You mean the car that had mechanical issues before it was ever tuned? And you mean Ken was one of the people who help dump EuroElites when he was with Renntech? Not to mention right on EuroElites front page is a picture of a Dyno-Comp built car (SL55) LOL. As for owing money... You mean the one alleged to have been filed by Oliver against the other company you mentioned? Mo I think its time for a long conversation with Bill Heart. He will tell you whats going on between RT and Evotech and why relationships were really severed. Maybe emailing Oliver at this point is the best way to get the story. I'm sure he will tell you about the past and pressent. One thing is for sure, it seems like a bunch of hearsay going around.

When someone contacts the maker of the tunes. In this case Evotech. Thay ask them to send a file over via email, cloud, or what ever. I never hear any tuner ask. "what condition is the car in?" That is up to the shop to decide if its a great working car. I don't know any good shop that would put a tune on a car if it had underlying problems. However that goes back to the shop. Good shops will find any issues with cars before they ask their tuner to make a file for it. And when you don't have an insurance policy for your shop.... We know what happens next when problems arise. One things fore sure 99 times out of 100 times the file on those 100 cars is exactly the same file/map. Its that 1 car out of the 100 that showed an issue. Why do yo think tuners look at the car rather than their file? Its because that map that is used on that car is every other car without issue. Then the argument is always heard "well it never did this before your tune." Well maybe the tune someone asked to be installed on there ECU exposed the underlying problem the car was having? Its up to the shop and owner of the car to find and fix those issues.

In fact I remember RT former tuner on speaker phone with Dyno-Comp about a car that had issues. And I quote: " I'm scratching my head hear, because I have that file on many other cars with no issue" I don't have the ability to see though phones, but I think it was the same guy on the phone who tuned your car Mo. Turned out to be a simple issue with the car and the problem was fixed.

Piont is, when you do software you try to do it once if its a base or standard tune. Thats how they make money. Do the work, then resell it without have to make new files each and every time. If Adobe had to make Photoshop every time they sell it, it just wouldn't work out... Sure tuners do custom tunes, but they are building them off of basemaps, helps to speed things up a bit. We all understand some tuners are better than others. Thats why you see a lot of tuners making just about the same power. Then the few who make less.

With that said, I just came here to answer some questions that were asked. I don't have a horse in the tuning race as thats not what I do. However i'm rooting for Evotech USA and Ken to do well in this new venture. If anything let Ken's work speak for its self. Over time, Im sure it will. I just ask that people give the guy a fair shake. He's a respectable, and smart guy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I maybe wrong about this, but I recall that Evotech (Oliver) used to put out very solid tunes. Then at some point many of his tunes started becoming "too aggressive" to a degree that it actually resulted in a few engine catastrophes back in 2008 (specifically on the 55k platform)... an incident, which if some of you guys remember, also happened to take down EuroElites in the process. EuroElites was a former RENNtech dealer that was let go, which then decided to become an Evotech dealer and the only authorized distributor in the US. However, EuroElites never got to launch their Evotech USA website, and were eventually forced to shut down due to possible strong legal action by a few customers.My understanding was that RENNtech and Evotech severed relations back in 2007/2008 for various reasons: one (big reason) being money (obviously) and another major reason being the multiple blown engines. In addition, rumor has it that Oliver is hated in many parts of the world (and by many tuner/dealers) due to either owing them money or screwing them in one way or the other. I believe Andy and a couple of other tuners has posted about this publicly on other forums.
    This is Completely False. Oliver\Evotech files were neve a reason for blowing a motor. I don't know who is lying to you my friend. You can ask Oliver and listen to his side on this. If a motor was blown that had an Evotech software, I can assure you that the ECU tune wasn't the problem :-).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast