Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Our newest blog post - The Difference Between OEM and Professional Level Wiring Using Deutsch DTM Connectors

A lot of our customers are doing more and more of their own wiring - and want to use the professional-level components we use in our own builds. Wiring connection issues are probably the most common source of failure in the automotive world; connectors are built to a cost and for ease of assembly by mechanized harness equipment. Reliable, strong connections don't have to break the bank, here's a blog post on the Deutsch DTM connectors we like to use:

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/the-difference-between-oem-and-professional-level-wiring-using-deutsch-dtm-connectors

Click here to enlarge
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Excellent subject, reposting part of the blog entry here for some our lazy users:

The benefits of a Deutsch DTM connector start at initial assembly and last well into the service limits of the vehicle. Let’s take a look at some of the features that make these so well-suited to high-performance or custom wiring harnesses:
    1. Construction – DTM connectors use a high-current pin (7.5A) with a very specific crimping tool. The pin has small details like an inspection window so you can make sure the wire is inserted properly. The crimp tool ensures that the exact same crimp gets done every time. When you push the pins in, you can visually see that the pin is past the locking tab, and the pin lock won’t go in unless its done right. This way, you can be confident that whether this is the 1st or 1000th DTM pin you assemble, it will have the same, reliable crimp. A design that makes connector assembly consistent is very important to ensure that your harness building isn’t dependent on your morning coffee! Since project cars are all-too often built at odd hours, you don’t want to discount the value of this.
    2. Verification of proper connection – When you connect 2 DTM halves, they click. This is not an afterthought – its by design. They won’t click if they’re not connected properly. Also, the locking tab sits in the “down” position unless the proper contact is made. There is no way to get the locking tab to be up and the connector not properly latched. What does this mean to you? If you can’t see a connector that you’re assembling, the sound and feel will tell you its properly connected. When you can’t get your hands on them, if you can see the tab(s), you know its connected. For 8 and 12-way connectors there are 2 tabs to check.
    3. Sealing – The orange seal, when used with the proper wire size, is completely fluid-proof. Unlike seals that crimp on the wire, the quality is not a function of how well you use a crimp tool. This ensures quality weatherproofing every time.
    4. Strain relief – That orange seal doesn’t just keep fluids and dirt out. It also serves as a strain relief – the length of the seal and position of the crimp ensures that no matter how the wire is twisted, a minimum amount of force is actually transferred to the crimp.
    5. Mechanical integrity – the locking tabs are designed to take a minimum of 15lb of force per contact. This means that as long as your wire crimps are strong, these connection can take a lot of abuse.
    6. Connect/Disconnect cycles – Here’s a newsflash for some of you: many automotive connectors aren’t rated for more than 10 connection cycles. That means that simply plugging in and unplugging the connector 10 times causes enough wear to compromise their integrity. We constantly are seeing problems with fuel injector & coil connectors on racing vehicles that are not up to the task – they have to be replaced every few races. DTM connectors are nominally rated for 100 contact cycles, but in practice we’ve had harnesses in the field for nearly a decade of regular service with no appreciable wear.
    7. Environmental durability – These connectors can handle extreme temperatures from -67 to 250+F, they are extremely chemical resistant and can handle very high-frequency vibrations.
    These connectors typically bring connection costs down to $2-3 per pin. Considering that electrical connections are responsible for a large percentage of failures on both stock and racing vehicles, using them is a very wise investment. If you assemble them using the proper tools, take care to make a few simple checks when you connect them, and use them in their rated environment, you can rest assured that your connections will be robust! Apex sells them individually or as a kit so let us know how we can help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thanks. I try to mirror these but I can never seem to get it right. I hope I'm a better tuner than a web guy....
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. I try to mirror these but I can never seem to get it right. I hope I'm a better tuner than a web guy....
    I'm here to help you with the web stuff, no worries. Also, I've got something very nice for you this week.