Close

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 316
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    804
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    I believe the law states you cannot remove a functioning factory cat for 60,000 miles or something unless damaged first? This goes for any state. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

    So all aftermarket catalytic converter cars are by definition illegal. another joke.
    No, not all aftermarket cat cars are by definition illegal because as you correctly pointed out, when OEM cats fail you can replace them with aftermarket cats. The pool of CARB legal aftermarket cats is very small. And I actually doubt, any LT vendor for the M156 market uses the CARB approved aftermarket cats.

    I don't know for sure, so can you please provide the actual name of the cats that LT vendors can recommend for CARB legal application.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Rep Points
    70.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    No, not all aftermarket cat cars are by definition illegal because as you correctly pointed out, when OEM cats fail you can replace them with aftermarket cats. The pool of CARB legal aftermarket cats is very small. And I actually doubt, any LT vendor for the M156 market uses the CARB approved aftermarket cats.

    I don't know for sure, so can you please provide the actual name of the cats that LT vendors can recommend for CARB legal application.
    Yes that's true if damaged then I guess it's legal pre 60,000.

    I don't know about cat brands and cell counts. Most use 200cpi IIRC mhp uses 300cpi. You would have to ask them brand though.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    804
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Yes that's true if damaged then I guess it's legal pre 60,000.

    I don't know about cat brands and cell counts. Most use 200cpi IIRC mhp uses 300cpi. You would have to ask them brand though.
    If there is a CA legal option for LT's, I want in at some point.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    804
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Well based on the posts above they are legal in 49 states then. They are simply catted versions of their longtubes, just like the others.

    I actually dont think you could weld a stock primary cat into any LT header due to the internal dia of the cats vs what they are using.

    Time to move Click here to enlarge
    The octane at the pumps is reason enough to move. Also, the gun laws. But, having the ocean, lakes, mountains, forests and deserts in the same state is awesome.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    If there is a CA legal option for LT's, I want in at some point.
    They aren't legal by design in CA. LTs will never be a legal option in CA.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    The octane at the pumps is reason enough to move. Also, the gun laws. But, having the ocean, lakes, mountains, forests and deserts in the same state is awesome.
    Yes 91 octane is like salad oil Click here to enlarge To answer your question we use Random Tech metallic substrate 300cpi cats with our catalytic LTs.

    Thanks

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    804
    Rep Points
    607.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Yes 91 octane is like salad oil Click here to enlarge To answer your question we use Random Tech metallic substrate 300cpi cats with our catalytic LTs.

    Thanks
    LOL... So when the Zesty Italian gets a little old in my fridge I can add it as an octane booster to this crap 91 octane.

    Thanks for the feedback on the cats.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    LOL... So when the Zesty Italian gets a little old in my fridge I can add it as an octane booster to this crap 91 octane.

    Thanks for the feedback on the cats.
    LOL, exactly. Click here to enlarge

    NP on the rest.

    Thanks

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Houses
    Posts
    891
    Rep Points
    386.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    My car runs on bleu cheese.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    638
    Rep Points
    567.0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Wake up. RENNTECH should be ashamed of their product and service. Those manifolds are a joke, the cost is just icing on the cake. The fact that the welds cracked three times and RENNTECH did nothing but tell the customer to fix them himself and that stainless is prone to cracking, yeah that's normal and OK. Are you joking?
    There are many "RENNtech" replicas being sold online using private messaging, e-bay, temp sites, etc... so although they look like RENNtech shorties, they may not actually be RENNtech's. Please note.... I'm not claiming one way or the other, but I'm simply suggesting that at this point in time, we don't know all the facts.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Show me RENNTECH longtubes for a C63? This is what they sell, call them and ask for "longtubes" and they will tell you they don't make them, if they do they are custom and they need the car and $8k+. Anyone in this thread can verify that.
    Then I guess the owner of the vehicle got scammed when he paid for "longtubes" and the longtube price and got these?
    As AMG4V mentioned earlier, if those are indeed RENNtech headers, they look like shorty headers and RENNtech sells them for $3k..... if you say RENNtech needs the car and $8k to create "custom" headers and the headers pictured above are clearly not long tubes, then the customer did NOT pay $8k for them, as that would be a contradiction Click here to enlarge

    I personally know that the $8k headers that RENNtech sells are NOT shorties... and those headers pictured above are shorties (they're definitely not long tube headers). They are advertised on their website for about $3k.... so if a customer paid $8k for those headers, then something obviously went seriously wrong!!!! So lets see the invoice and proof of payment and I'm sure we'll get RENNtech to refund him/her the difference immediately.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    As far as you claiming people have fried motor mounts with longtubes, name one person, like lzh said I don't know of anyone with any brand that's ever done that. Same goes for warranty claims, there have been no denials due to LTs that I've ever heard of. Ask MHP directly to chime in, or even MBH or Evosport. Not once have I heard of any of the false issues you mention.
    I was at Fletcher Jones the other day talking to the shop foreman and he showed me an E55 with ceramic-coated long-tube headers that made the outer silicon cover of the motor mounts turn yellowish/brownish color. The extra flow from the long-tube headers was generating extra heat and it was slowly heating up the mounts.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Again RENNTECH refused to perform any warranty work and said those headers were sold as is. Customer has the bill of sale so don't even try going down that road. Customer wanted RENNTECH to fix the headers when the welds broke on three separate occassions
    RENNtech is by no means perfect or does everything right; however, it's been documented many times that they do take very good care of their customers.... in fact, there are a couple of threads on mbworld where the customer had purchased used headers from a non-RENNtech dealer and they still offered to repair it for free. It would be great to get the bill of sale and proof of payment in this case, so we can have RENNtech refund the customer his money.

    I personally don't know all the facts in this situation so I'm not going to speculate. However, I do know that if this specific customer (somehow) over paid for headers that RENNtech publicly sells for less than half the price and those headers cracked, they will take care of them Click here to enlarge
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge

    Never bought anything from them, have never been given anything by them, and don't own a car with any products from them on it. I do talk to people at MHP and also at RENNTECH and other shops.
    By "affiliation" I meant work for and/or employed by ?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Rep Points
    70.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    By "affiliation" I meant work for and/or employed by ?
    Nope, my paychecks don't say MHP or any other shops name.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    As AMG4V mentioned earlier, if those are indeed RENNtech headers, they look like shorty headers and RENNtech sells them for $3k..... if you say RENNtech needs the car and $8k to create "custom" headers and the headers pictured above are clearly not long tubes, then the customer did NOT pay $8k for them, as that would be a contradiction Click here to enlarge
    Graham Rahal was selling the $8k Renntech headers that came on his Black Series when he bought it - they look very similar to the ones here...there is a pic of them on MBW but I cannot access it...here is the page:

    http://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-blac...ound-pipe.html

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Nope, my paychecks don't say MHP or any other shops name.
    Gotcha. thx

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Rep Points
    70.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    There are many "RENNtech" replicas being sold online using private messaging, e-bay, temp sites, etc... so although they look like RENNtech shorties, they may not actually be RENNtech's. Please note.... I'm not claiming one way or the other, but I'm simply suggesting that at this point in time, we don't know all the facts.
    Customer has receipt, is 74 year old texas rancher with oil pipelines running through his 50,000 acres. He shipped his car to RENNTECH for all work. Everything posted by me is a fact.

    As AMG4V mentioned earlier, if those are indeed RENNtech headers, they look like shorty headers and RENNtech sells them for $3k..... if you say RENNtech needs the car and $8k to create "custom" headers and the headers pictured above are clearly not long tubes, then the customer did NOT pay $8k for them, as that would be a contradiction Click here to enlarge
    You do not know what the customer paid for these "custom" headers so please don't talk about things you don't know to true or not. Cost and Product are clearly stated on the receipt of over $30,000 in total modifications. You didn't pay the bill and haven't seen the invoice nor know the situation (the months of the customer trying to get RENNTECH to do something about their product), however you are sporting a RENNTECH built car aren't you?

    I personally know that the $8k headers that RENNtech sells are NOT shorties... and those headers pictured above are shorties (they're definitely not long tube headers). They are advertised on their website for about $3k.... so if a customer paid $8k for those headers, then something obviously went seriously wrong!!!! So lets see the invoice and proof of payment and I'm sure we'll get RENNtech to refund him/her the difference immediately.
    You know because you paid $8k for custom LTs, how did they turn out? Have any pics to post?

    You don't know a thing about this customer or this situation so please stop trying to be RENNTECH's liaison and just look at the facts presented. Customer wanted maximum performance from RENNTECH and had an open wallet so why on earth would they give him revised manifolds vs actual longtubes? There is no legitimate answer. Same goes for not repairing them.

    I'm going to PM you the customer's number so you can see how far off your assumptions are.

    I was at Fletcher Jones the other day talking to the shop foreman and he showed me an E55 with ceramic-coated long-tube headers that made the outer silicon cover of the motor mounts turn yellowish/brownish color. The extra flow from the long-tube headers was generating extra heat and it was slowly heating up the mounts.
    So how does this effect the 63s? Being that the 55Ks have a blower and create a ton more underhood heat how is this even relevant? It's not. Being that you have Longtubes are you worried about your motor mounts?

    RENNtech is by no means perfect or does everything right; however, it's been documented many times that they do take very good care of their customers.... in fact, there are a couple of threads on mbworld where the customer had purchased used headers from a non-RENNtech dealer and they still offered to repair it for free. It would be great to get the bill of sale and proof of payment in this case, so we can have RENNtech refund the customer his money.
    I thought the same until I met the customer.

    I personally don't know all the facts in this situation so I'm not going to speculate. However, I do know that if this specific customer (somehow) over paid for headers that RENNtech publicly sells for less than half the price and those headers cracked, they will take care of them Click here to enlarge
    You've already speculated and did your best to spin the situation around for RENNTECH however once you call the customer you're going to have an entirely different perspective. Just remember to post what he says after you speak with him.

    Also this last statement is actually the furthest thing from the truth possible. They did the exact opposite of what you're saying telling him they were custom one off and stainless cracks when it's welded. Pretty pathetic IMO.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Rep Points
    70.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    PM'd customer info. Please validate.

    thanks

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Rep Points
    70.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Also sending you shop info that's doing the swap. Otw now.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Rep Points
    70.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Shop owner says he'll post himself when he finishes for today but I'd still like exenom to call to verify for everyone. Then maybe someone else can have someone do an IP check to verify the verification. LOL.
    Last edited by JBond; 10-06-2011 at 07:13 PM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,202
    Rep Points
    31,315.4
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 63Master Click here to enlarge
    I want to see how sticky replies when he sees these photos....

    Comw out wherever you are, and stop hiding.
    Kind of hard to hide when you are here everyday posting in every thread.

    I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

    You are very quick to judge and jump to conclusions, I can't help but feel you are a kid.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,202
    Rep Points
    31,315.4
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AMG4V Click here to enlarge
    Hold on guys, let's not jump to conclusions here.

    Just because somebody starts a thread with very obvious lies there is no need to chime in. In fact there is need to put the real intention in question.
    The most common reason I see is that a vendor tries to elevate his own product or the product he represents by putting down a competitors product.
    I have no idea if this jbond is a vendor or installer or dislikes Renntech or just wants to have his 5 minutes of fame?

    However, here are a few facts:

    Those headers look like Renntech "shorty" headers, designed to bolt on directly to the oe exhaust system without modifications. Some people like this legal approach rather then attracting the attention of the whole neighborhood because of the extreme noise level a 63 without cats and longtubes, not even to mention the authorities. so 2 very different sydtems/designs.

    If you check on Renntech's website you will find that those cost $3,580 and not $8,000+
    If you check MHP's website you will find that those are $3,495 and not $2,995
    Now, everybody needs to decide what they want/need. Do I really want the loud exhaust, cook my motormounts and pretty much everything else in the engine compartment, have all kinds of problems with warranty claims......

    Renntech does have longtube headers available as well and they come ceramic coated (so the engine compartment is not getting cooked) and with 200 cell metal high performance catalytic converters. That's where perhaps the confusion with the $8,000 comes from, because that's how much those are. Certainly not cheap but you will pass your emission test and the noise level is still acceptable.


    Talking about ceramic coating, the Renntech short headers are also ceramic coated, the ones in the picture are not. Also those welds with the cracks look very much like they were repaired and welded afterwards with a MIG welder and not a TIG welder. Again, not something Renntech is doing.
    And another thing that Renntech will not do, they would never refuse to repair their stuff, that is just completely made up. Renntech is a real company with like 20 real people employed, with a real building, insurance, workers comp, overhead....., and a real warranty. Not something the other "tuners" working out of somebody elses shop can say.

    I would seriously question if those headers are even original Renntech headers.
    And I certainly would like to see a lot more proof, or at least more real info and not just made up stories before tag along.
    Thank you for a level headed post providing a different perspective.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,202
    Rep Points
    31,315.4
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Comparison of MHP long tube and Renntech shorty M156 headers show poor weld and product quality from Renntech

    Pictures of these Renntech headers (it was confirmed these are in fact from Renntech Florida) were posted up by a BenzBoost user. We all know MHP makes a high quality product and that is seen here with what is clearly the MHP long tube setup. What is stated as the Renntech header appears to be a modified stock setup and clearly is not a long tube or race setup as we were told the customer asked for. An additional claim is that these are $8000 dollar headers from Renntech but in an article posted last week we showed the Renntech long tube headers which are ceramic coated for that price and they look nothing like these.

    We suggest you come to your own conclusion but there is no denying the terrible welds and simply poor quality of the shorty headers seen here vs. MHP. What one can definitively take away is the MHP long tube option is a solid one. We will wait on comments from Renntech and continue to state that Renntech is a high quality option. We also believe Renntech offers a warranty on exhaust pieces so if the owner was upset and this was a Renntech piece this issue would have been taken care of by quality customer service.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge



    * It was confirmed that these are in fact headers from Renntech Florida.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    53
    Rep Points
    56.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    I believe the law states you cannot remove a functioning factory cat for 60,000 miles or something unless damaged first? This goes for any state. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

    So all aftermarket catalytic converter cars are by definition illegal. another joke.
    Dude the shorty headers bolt on to the OE system. Translation just so even jbond can understand: the OE cats are not removed and not even moved to another spot and therefore legal. I could make you even a drawing but don't have the time.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    53
    Rep Points
    56.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JBond Click here to enlarge
    Customer has receipt, is 74 year old texas rancher with oil pipelines running through his 50,000 acres. He shipped his car to RENNTECH for all work. Everything posted by me is a fact.



    You do not know what the customer paid for these "custom" headers so please don't talk about things you don't know to true or not. Cost and Product are clearly stated on the receipt of over $30,000 in total modifications. You didn't pay the bill and haven't seen the invoice nor know the situation (the months of the customer trying to get RENNTECH to do something about their product), however you are sporting a RENNTECH built car aren't you?



    You know because you paid $8k for custom LTs, how did they turn out? Have any pics to post?

    You don't know a thing about this customer or this situation so please stop trying to be RENNTECH's liaison and just look at the facts presented. Customer wanted maximum performance from RENNTECH and had an open wallet so why on earth would they give him revised manifolds vs actual longtubes? There is no legitimate answer. Same goes for not repairing them.

    I'm going to PM you the customer's number so you can see how far off your assumptions are.



    So how does this effect the 63s? Being that the 55Ks have a blower and create a ton more underhood heat how is this even relevant? It's not. Being that you have Longtubes are you worried about your motor mounts?



    I thought the same until I met the customer.



    You've already speculated and did your best to spin the situation around for RENNTECH however once you call the customer you're going to have an entirely different perspective. Just remember to post what he says after you speak with him.

    Also this last statement is actually the furthest thing from the truth possible. They did the exact opposite of what you're saying telling him they were custom one off and stainless cracks when it's welded. Pretty pathetic IMO.
    A 74 year old Texas Rancher with oil pipelines running thru his Ranch? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Houses
    Posts
    891
    Rep Points
    386.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AMG4V Click here to enlarge
    A 74 year old Texas Rancher with oil pipelines running thru his Ranch? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
    That's common down here. nbd.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    53
    Rep Points
    56.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    No, not all aftermarket cat cars are by definition illegal because as you correctly pointed out, when OEM cats fail you can replace them with aftermarket cats. The pool of CARB legal aftermarket cats is very small. And I actually doubt, any LT vendor for the M156 market uses the CARB approved aftermarket cats.

    I don't know for sure, so can you please provide the actual name of the cats that LT vendors can recommend for CARB legal application.
    Absolutely correct.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    53
    Rep Points
    56.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    That's common down here. nbd.
    That might very well be the case.
    However in this case it just doesn't sound right. Also, i just can't picture that rich farmer dude in a C63, sorry.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •