Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

An old soldier who won't fade away-Obama is outclassed and outsmarted by retiring Gen. Petraeus

An old soldier who won't fade away

Obama is outclassed and outsmarted by retiring Gen. Petraeus

Gen. David H. Petraeus closed his phenomenal 37-year Army career this week with a joint review at Fort Myer in Arlington. Service members from every branch were present, and flags of all 50 states fluttered in the breeze. A substantial crowd had come to hear the general's farewell address. Many were classmates from the West Point Class of 1974, smartly attired but enthusiastic and occasionally whooping like they were cadets. Others were people with whom he had served over his storied career, whom he recognized from the dais during his speech. The morning was sunny and clear, and the general was his usual affable, ebullient self.

In his remarks, Gen. Petraeus recalled the days when he entered the military, when the Vietnam War was winding down and the armed services were being pared down to the "hollow forces" of the 1970s. "The Army I joined as a second lieutenant had suffered enormously," he said. "In the wake of our involvement in Vietnam, our Army and much of our military were grappling with a host of very serious challenges." The senior leaders who first wore the uniform in those dark days were not discouraged. They began their careers with a sense of mission. "I know I speak for many when I say that we came away from that period vowing to never let our forces get to such a point ever again." Through his efforts, and those of countless other visionaries in and out of uniform, the hollow forces were transformed once again into the finest fighting force in the world.

Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, presided over the ceremony with William J. Lynn, deputy secretary of defense. Notably absent were Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta, whose former position as CIA director is Gen. Petraeus' next assignment, and President Obama. Their non-appearance did not sit well with some. "Obama should have been here," a warrior who served under Gen. Petraeus told The Washington Times. "And he should have invited [former President George W.] Bush. The general saved their bacon. Twice.

"Everyone has forgotten that in 2007 we as a nation had said, 'OK, we are going to lose Iraq.' And President Bush said, 'Well what if we win?' Petraeus rode into town and assembled an extraordinary team. His personal drive, his charisma, his optimism, his can-do spirit, all of that is what gave us hope that we could in fact turn Iraq around," our source explained. "And by September of '07, the progress had been dramatic enough that it became common knowledge to the American people that things were turning around in Iraq. Eight months earlier, a lot of people, including Obama, wanted to tuck tail and have another Vietnam."

That's not all. "Here is the guy who saved our reputation as a nation. Seriously, who's missing this? And then he went to [Central Command] and was doing great things. And Obama asked him to take a functional demotion and go back to Afghanistan and save our bacon again," we were told. "To leave his family, to step down from a regional command, to take on that burden. And he said yes, and he did it. Petraeus was the right guy at the right time, he answered the call, and now he's being yanked out before we're ready, just like the troops are being yanked out before Afghanistan is ready."

So what's the reason for the White House about-face? "They are sending him to the CIA to keep him quiet during the 2012 election. It shows how small and scared they are. He is an honorable man, he has never expressed political ambition. But they saw him as a threat. He is an independent thinker, the finest military mind of his generation," our source posits. "What he suffers from is that he is more excellent than almost anyone he meets, to include the president. The troops love him. Strong people surround themselves with the most excellent people they can find, even those brighter and more capable than themselves. Weak people don't."

There is a shameful indignity in how this hero was treated. "The president couldn't find the time in his schedule, nor could the [defense secretary] find the time to look him in the eye and say thank you in person," this warrior told The Washington Times. "It's one thing to say 'we support the troops' and trot out your first lady to do that, but this is where it counts. It would have been an appropriate gesture to come here to recognize the professional and personal sacrifice of this extraordinary man. It would have been the dignified thing to do."

The hero remained above it all. The cannons boomed and the crowd cheered and Gen. Petraeus stood smiling in the sun.

© Copyright 2011 The Washington Times, LLC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Obama has and always will be a $#@!ing snob. If you look at him walk and talk, his nose is the highest point on his body.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Obama has and always will be a $#@!ing snob. If you look at him walk and talk, his nose is the highest point on his body.
    Everyone knows he's an oreo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Way to go Obama, go ahead and snub a great General and human being. The guy saves our government's ass twice and that's the thanks he gets.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wish I knew why I was not familiar with this general.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, he doesn't get along with Generals, and Generals don't get along with him. It's like he has to prove a point. Remember Gen. Stanley McCrystal? Great General too, he just couldn't keep quiet any longer, and for that. He got fired.......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Are the quoted remarks in your post yours or the General's?

I thought he went to Afghanistan because he was the best qualified to make sense of the BS that had gone on there? He has implemented a workable plan and put the resources in place the he believes will competently execute it.

He is leading the CIA because our country needs him there. Another politico won't do. It is an honorable position that he has a unique perspective on and I look forward to his administration of the department.

Former President George W. Bush (ret) needs no invitation! He should show up because Petraeus saved his bacon".

Obama hasn't tucked tail to anyone. If you are on the terrorism list your days are numbered!

Not sure how snob is defined (maybe different in Korea) in the posts response, but if that were the case wouldn't an incompetent be nominated for the CIA post?

General Stanley McChrystal was a decorated loudmouth who bordered on insubordination through public pronouncements as repeated in Rolling Stone magazine.

Having said all that, the President's administration should have had some one appropriate at the ceremony.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    mcchrystal shouldnt have been fired IMO. Whatever happened to freedom of speech, who gives a $#@! if he's a general. I can tell my boss hes an $#@! and he cannot fire me by law just because of that. mcchrystal did a good job, he practically wrote the book on counter insurgency, obama being a man of his own principals fires him of course. Instead of using mcchrystal to help with the already understaffed military management he gives him the boot, obama just cant eat his own ego. He thinks hes the baddest $#@! in town, so now soldiers will suffer because they lost a general.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    mcchrystal shouldnt have been fired IMO. Whatever happened to freedom of speech, who gives a $#@! if he's a general. I can tell my boss hes an $#@! and he cannot fire me by law just because of that. mcchrystal did a good job, he practically wrote the book on counter insurgency, obama being a man of his own principals fires him of course. Instead of using mcchrystal to help with the already understaffed military management he gives him the boot, obama just cant eat his own ego. He thinks hes the baddest $#@! in town, so now soldiers will suffer because they lost a general.
    different for military. he's actually lucky he only got fired, he could have been in much much worse position.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yage202 Click here to enlarge
    Are the quoted remarks in your post yours or the General's? not mine, and not the generals, another member there- remember military cannot openly speak about politics while on active duty- hence no name mentioned

I thought he went to Afghanistan because he was the best qualified to make sense of the BS that had gone on there? He has implemented a workable plan and put the resources in place the he believes will competently execute it. then you thought wrong, although not a rank or pay reduction, it is a billet/assignement reduction, he was not asked to do it..but as always did it right, because thats what he is supposed to do

He is leading the CIA because our country needs him there. Another politico won't do. It is an honorable position that he has a unique perspective on and I look forward to his administration of the department. is he qualified to dit it? yes, was it his choice to go there? no.

Former President George W. Bush (ret) needs no invitation! He should show up because Petraeus saved his bacon".

Obama hasn't tucked tail to anyone. If you are on the terrorism list your days are numbered!your kidding right. obama hasnt done $#@!

Not sure how snob is defined (maybe different in Korea) in the posts response, but if that were the case wouldn't an incompetent be nominated for the CIA post?

General Stanley McChrystal was a decorated loudmouth who bordered on insubordination through public pronouncements as repeated in Rolling Stone magazine.the best are always rough around the edges because liberal $#@!s always get one rank ahead because they care about their career more than the mission. so they always play it safe and never get the job done right

Having said all that, the President's administration should have had some one appropriate at the ceremony. yes, like the president and secdef..
    in bold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha ZING