Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    who knows :X along with wasting away 4 years in the bio field, and then if i don't get into med school right away another year of studying the mcat and blehh... i hope things work out for us then we can hang with the big boys Click here to enlarge
    I want to it work out right now, I need instant gratification haha. Plus our degrees don't seem as competitive as some of the other ones, until we get into medical/dental school. Whole new playing field then. We work hard, I'm sure it'll pay off in the end for us...at least I hope so.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scorpion Click here to enlarge
    I want to it work out right now, I need instant gratification haha. Plus our degrees don't seem as competitive as some of the other ones, until we get into medical/dental school. Whole new playing field then. We work hard, I'm sure it'll pay off in the end for us...at least I hope so.
    lol i'd love to be in med school already... that just means closer to finally being able to buy $#@! lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'll play - BA in Economics and Political Science; started out in Business and switched over (HATED business school). To the bio majors, I would stay away from medicine (at least on humans); dentistry is a good field - orthodontics is even better - vet medicine is the best (see a trend, cash paying patients with limited involvement with insurance companies (which is also another route - insurance companies are always looking for MD's/PA's/NP's to employ so they have medical justifications to deny) which also leads me to PA and NP's - Rxing privileges, knows the same stuff, can specialize, easy to find jobs as practices are always looking for cheaper labor than MD's that can do the same job (still make decent money).....
    College did teach me a couple of things (in no particular order)

1) most people aren't ready for it
    2) most people should work a couple of years before going
    3) how to critically think
    4) how to write

When I was younger, one of my neighbors explained it the best (for me anyway)- "college is a test - it's a test to see who can get in where, who's willing to stick it out and make it to the end. The fact of the matter is unless you are highly specialized in a technical field or want to stay in academia as a career - you'll never wind up using 95% of what you've learned because whatever company you've joined is going to train you how to do it their way anyway. . .it's just an arbitrary test because the people who are hiring you had to go through it so now you must...."

if I can give any advice to those starting or about to start a career:

1) titles don't mean $#@! - a job is about financial compensation - there are countless VP's at big corporations. . .and low level managers at smaller companies usually make more money than they do.....
    2) the easiest way to increase your salary is to "jump" companies; corporations are structured by HR to have "salary bands" based upon your age, experience, and if applicable - previous salary; this strategy has to be balanced by a corporation that offers a pension (if they exist anymore - but the government is a good example - you sacrifice overall income to get a pension - if you go overall income - you create you're own pension)
    3) every 10 years there's an "economic crisis" - you'll panic with your first one - you'll learn to make money by your third one
    4) People hire in their own image - find out what the hiring person wants (and who they are) and highlight parts of you that fit the bill (this is different from lying - don't lie - you will eventually get caught)
    5) Making a 150,000.00 working 40 hrs a week is better than making 200,000 working 80hrs a week
    6) Use all of your vacation that they give you - the company will still be there when you get back - and you'll need it to remind you why you're working in the first place
    7) everybody's expendable (no matter how good you think you are)
    8) max out your 401K as soon as possible (it's tax free - even if you put it in a money market account)
    9) don't put your money in the stock market unless you're willing to lose it
    10) don't stick your pen in company ink - if you're willing to be that horny and stupid - just get a hooker - it's actually cheaper (and less risky) compared to the potential the other choice can have....
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by motorkas Click here to enlarge
    4) how to write
    I had these way before college.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    10) don't stick your pen in company ink - if you're willing to be that horny and stupid - just get a hooker - it's actually cheaper (and less risky) compared to the potential the other choice can have....
    Why shouldn't the girl have blame in this one? Why is it even such a big deal to have sex with someone you work with anyway? I don't get it.

If I worked with hot chicks I would be trying hard to utilize that option...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    i work with them, and i don't utilize that. what motorkas said is correct, the consequences of having sex with someone in company are almost %100 worse than what you think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    i work with them, and i don't utilize that. what motorkas said is correct, the consequences of having sex with someone in company are almost 0 worse than what you think.
    Aren't you the boss?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    lol i'd love to be in med school already... that just means closer to finally being able to buy $#@! lol
    Haha same, but first we're going to have to worry about paying off the loans :/.

I'll play - BA in Economics and Political Science; started out in Business and switched over (HATED business school). To the bio majors, I would stay away from medicine (at least on humans); dentistry is a good field - orthodontics is even better - vet medicine is the best (see a trend, cash paying patients with limited involvement with insurance companies (which is also another route - insurance companies are always looking for MD's/PA's/NP's to employ so they have medical justifications to deny) which also leads me to PA and NP's - Rxing privileges, knows the same stuff, can specialize, easy to find jobs as practices are always looking for cheaper labor than MD's that can do the same job (still make decent money).....

4) how to write

When I was younger, one of my neighbors explained it the best (for me anyway)- "college is a test - it's a test to see who can get in where, who's willing to stick it out and make it to the end. The fact of the matter is unless you are highly specialized in a technical field or want to stay in academia as a career - you'll never wind up using 95% of what you've learned because whatever company you've joined is going to train you how to do it their way anyway. . .it's just an arbitrary test because the people who are hiring you had to go through it so now you must...."

1) titles don't mean $#@! - a job is about financial compensation - there are countless VP's at big corporations. . .and low level managers at smaller companies usually make more money than they do.....
    2) the easiest way to increase your salary is to "jump" companies; corporations are structured by HR to have "salary bands" based upon your age, experience, and if applicable - previous salary; this strategy has to be balanced by a corporation that offers a pension (if they exist anymore - but the government is a good example - you sacrifice overall income to get a pension - if you go overall income - you create you're own pension)
    3) every 10 years there's an "economic crisis" - you'll panic with your first one - you'll learn to make money by your third one
    4) People hire in their own image - find out what the hiring person wants (and who they are) and highlight parts of you that fit the bill (this is different from lying - don't lie - you will eventually get caught)
    5) Making a 150,000.00 working 40 hrs a week is better than making 200,000 working 80hrs a week
    6) Use all of your vacation that they give you - the company will still be there when you get back - and you'll need it to remind you why you're working in the first place
    8) max out your 401K as soon as possible (it's tax free - even if you put it in a money market account)
    Good post, pretty useful.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Aren't you the boss?
    Yes, sort of. that's why i should be more careful about this. if my employee does that, all he will lose is his job. but it's the reputation of my company which gets screwed. I'm not even talking about myself as the boss, that would be the end of my career.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had these way before college.
    Sticky - I had critical thinking before college as well (my parents insisted on it) but my writing skills were poor at best....When I wrote that, it was from the perspective of having to formulate a written or verbal argument that is opposed to everything you believe in and being evaluated (with a grade by an impartial third party - and alot of times - a very partial third party) on how well your ability was to do so....a lot more work goes into having to do that than just "playing devil's advocate"Click here to enlarge

As far as the writting - I averaged about 300 pages of written papers and exams a semester - I had no choice but to learn how to write or I never would have passed collegeClick here to enlarge

Why shouldn't the girl have blame in this one? Why is it even such a big deal to have sex with someone you work with anyway? I don't get it.

I would say it's similar to divorce - the mother is not always the best option for the children but the vast majority of the times she's getting custody. . .same thing with improper relationships in the work place - the assumption is the woman is the victim.....the reason why you really have to be careful is the workplace anti-harassment policies are set up around the "perception" of harassment - simply put - you could be complimenting a women on anything and if she feels that it's "inappropriate" - you can be in a world of hurt. . .accusations are just as bad (if not worse) than actually doing anything at all.....

Aren't you the boss?
    Actually, this makes matter worse, because if you are in a "position of power" over the person - you're more than likely paying BIG DOLLARS to get out of it...
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I wrote that, it was from the perspective of having to formulate a written or verbal argument that is opposed to everything you believe in and being evaluated (with a grade by an impartial third party - and alot of times - a very partial third party) on how well your ability was to do so....a lot more work goes into having to do that than just "playing devil's advocate"
    In that case I've been doing this since I joined my first BMW forum.

One guy once suggested that if nobody responded to my threads I would start a written argument with myself.

I understand what you are saying my point is that learning does not always take place in the classroom. I'd love to see what grade some of my past posts would get from my professors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Yes, sort of. that's why i should be more careful about this. if my employee does that, all he will lose is his job. but it's the reputation of my company which gets screwed. I'm not even talking about myself as the boss, that would be the end of my career.
    Seems like the solution is just to get rid of the employee.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

4) how to write

good post. I dont think you would be surprised that Ive met people in college who still cant even spell right. Ive been reading books since I was quite little, and my grammar, not to mention thinking and what not has surpassed most of the people my age. When I was in middle school I was getting taken to some special psychiatrist to see if there was something wrong with me. Being in the 4th grade I didnt understand it until my mom told me when I was in my senior year. I had straight As in all my courses, but my teacher was concerned with my lack of involvement with the class. It turns out I was reading on a 10-11th grade level, and was able to apply logical thinking a whole lot faster than 98% of my classmates.

Pretty much all of your points can apply to blue-collar jobs as well..you dont need a suit and tie to be eligible...I have jumped from job to job every 2 years or so, learning more and more along the way. While its not good on a resume, working with my hands has proved otherwise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123