Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Twin Turbo M156 - Brabus

Only 3 of 4 cyclinders on each side go to the turbo - read below

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...x-will-do.html

Click here to enlarge
    If you're an engine geek, this one might intrigue you. Pictured here is Brabus' twin-turbo conversion for the Mercedes-Benz/AMG 6.2-liter V8. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
    However, I had to take a closer look at this display on the Brabus stand at Frankfurt after I caught a glimpse of the turbo side of things.
    Hit the jump; get the brain dump.

Click here to enlarge
    Brabus cast new exhaust manifolds -- complete with integrated turbine housings -- for their biturbo conversion. The unexpected part of the execution is that only three of the four cylinders of each bank actually feed the turbine. The fourth exhaust port simply dumps into the exhaust downstream of the turbine.
    From the engine's standpoint, this layout introduces some fascinating challenges. One; you're harnessing exhaust energy from six cylinders, but all eight intake ports are boosted. It's a situation that can be ameliorated to a degree through careful turbocharger matching. This engine has custom turbos, and that might be why.

Click here to enlarge
    More challenging is the large imbalance in the exhaust backpressure faced among the cylinders. Under load, three cylinders of each bank will experience substantially elevated backpressure compared to the remaining one. This means that the fourth cylinder will have much greater volumetric efficiency than the others and will require cylinder-specific fuel and ignition calibration. Not a big deal, unless that capability is missing. Still, the crankshaft's torque loading will be unbalanced no matter what.
    None of which is to say that this is bad kit, just a curious one. According to Brabus, this layout was settled on "for maximum efficiency." It's not clear to me how this layout achieves that.
    Bonus related historical footnote -- Cadillac's ill-fated Northstar LMP race program (2000-'02) employed a similar layout in its turbocharging system.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post Sammy.

I don't understand why they are only using 6 cylinders instead of 8, doesn't feel right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Good post Sammy.

I don't understand why they are only using 6 cylinders instead of 8, doesn't feel right.
    It is interesting to say at the least. But maybe cause they knew with 8 cylinders they would need bigger turbos, have to worry about ppl $#@!ing around and going over 700 hp. Might kill the tranny. Fuel pump or internals are not meant for that much power.. Thats what I can think of. otherwise it doesnt make sense..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys...this is not new, Brabus first put this motor in an ML63 back in early 2009, I have heard they have since dumped the concept. Below is a press release from March 2009

http://www.google.com/m/url?channel=...bmeEqIu7HlXw-Q
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well considering it looks like this is being shown at this years Geneva Auto Show they must not have dumped it, but it has been available since early 2009.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    Well considering it looks like this is being shown at this years Geneva Auto Show they must not have dumped it, but it has been available since early 2009.
    They didn't dump it because they just recently released a twin turbo SLS: http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...700-horsepower

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They didn't dump it because they just recently released a twin turbo SLS: http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...700-horsepower
    700 hp rating is at the crank, about 550whp...not too impressive for the price tag. I will stick with the Weistec thank you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    interesting none the less. As the article state, wondering about the tuning and the different amount of back pressure from the header that isnt running to the turbo. Would be good to get info from brabus
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    700 hp rating is at the crank, about 550whp...not too impressive for the price tag. I will stick with the Weistec thank you.
    Absolutely, Weistec is a much better value. It is always like that with these big name European tuners. Overpriced stuff that goes to people overseas into name brands while US tuners give you more power for less money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    interesting none the less. As the article state, wondering about the tuning and the different amount of back pressure from the header that isnt running to the turbo. Would be good to get info from brabus
    Well, they have a new office in California. I could stop by and ask details.

I admit, this is a really interesting setup from a technical standpoint.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys...this is not new, Brabus first put this motor in an ML63 back in early 2009, I have heard they have since dumped the concept. Below is a press release from March 2009

http://www.google.com/m/url?channel=...bmeEqIu7HlXw-Q
    I don't know if they dumped the concept, i had a ride in a TT GL63 in UAE and i know it wasn't a one of car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post Sammy.

+1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    While an engineering "masterpiece" less the 6 cylinders spooling vs 8 (no doubt due to the super small turbos used knowing they weren't going to put much boost into it) Weistec mops the floor with them as far as real world output.

The engine is so detuned to protect the driveline it's ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
    While an engineering "masterpiece" less the 6 cylinders spooling vs 8 (no doubt due to the super small turbos used knowing they weren't going to put much boost into it) Weistec mops the floor with them as far as real world output.

The engine is so detuned to protect the driveline it's ridiculous.
    Just seems pointless.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just seems pointless.
    Much of their products seem to be. The new Brabus CLS 800 Rocket for instance. Can produce over 1000lb/ft however is limited to just over 800...As long as the car is on street tires (how many will run DRs or slicks on these uber rare cars?) the trans will be just fine. WA5A's are bulletproof as proven by those running sticky tires and more torque.

Regardless they are the world's largest tuner of any make, and they have a disgusting amount of funds available for R&D--unfortunately it seems most of it is wasted appeasing MB's limitations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Regardless they are the world's largest tuner of any make, and they have a disgusting amount of funds available for R&D--unfortunately it seems most of it is wasted appeasing MB's limitations.
    They are more of a "corporate" tuner unfortunately. They aren't really about pushing the performance limit and setting records on the track.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are more of a "corporate" tuner unfortunately. They aren't really about pushing the performance limit and setting records on the track.
    They also do close to a $1B a year in revenue. I would sell out to have a stream like that, no questions asked.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They do it for fun, and they still $#@! on everybody haha
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Actually that couldn't be farther from the truth on both counts.

They don't own any track records I'm aware of, any open track or 1/8th, 1/4, standing mile, etc.

They are in business to make $ and the tax they impose on their products is all the evidence that needs to be seen.

That said I'm sure they could own all records, with that much money you can do pretty much anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    No, they do it for money.