Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Do not get scammed! Encounter today with "paramax"

At work...minding my own business, employee comes out and alerts me of a van selling some electronics, specifically home theater equipment. I'm interested since my sony system at home is ancient...

I walk up and it's some casually dressed guy telling me he's going to do some big install at a close by attraction (moody gardens) for their theater room but they overstocked him. So I'm thinking "hmm...ok."

He tells me he works for this company called "paramax technologies" and he's got a girl and a guy in the van. Says he's going to split the money he makes off the speakers, gives me some other irrelevant story about how his boss sold it some other time...etc...

Anyways, cutting to the chase, I tell him sure, give me a price and he says what can you come up with. HOLD ON - haggle-price goods? too good to be true? unknown company?

Told him brb, went inside, googled the name "paramax" - first hit "SCAM...."

Wiki has it listed as a scam.

So I come back outside, tell him "no thanks."

The girl hollers, "You're missing out on a deal of a lifetime!"
    Me: "I know."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

happened to my friend, good thing he caught on that they were a scam. But they were selling laptops or car audio, i forgot which, but same sorta thing.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Don't think their vans roll around on the streets here. Although some guy did come up and say he would sell me Ralph Lauren shrits for like $35. Probably took it off a dead person. While ago someone tried to sell ipads and tvs :/.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hahah, I think my dad bought a surround sound system from a company like that.. Ill see if it is the same brand next time I go over there. He told me they gave him a brochure that said some outrageous prices and thought it was a good deal for what he paid. What was such a scam about the equipment though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

the scam was that they were trying to make hundreds off something that costs them $30-40, quality is horrendous! (just type in paramax scam on google and you'll know everything you need to. Wiki has a page dedicated to them Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

LOL, I have to see this! I am going to laugh so hard if my Dad got ripped this bad. Think he said somewhere around 150 bucks for a home theater system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

HAHAHA they almost had me once good thing i called everyone i know and one of my friends got the $#@! from them. So i come back and i said to the guy sure i give you 30 bucks he tells me you CRAZY! look at catalog this system cost $1500 so i told him wait till the cops come =D door shut and he bounced fast. A few years later another van like that pulled up on me so i told the guy plain and simple i know what you are doing boys are on their way =D.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sometimes, like for laptops, they will show you a legit laptop. Then when you pay them and they go back into the van to get your "laptop" from an unopened box. It'll just be full of bricks and they'll be long gone.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Even the audio in the video sucked, hahaha!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

lmfao ^ is that advertisement supposed to appeal to anybody?

Looks like a kid made it with microsoft video editor.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

They tried to scam me out of a 120" Projector he had me going. He wanted $1700 "Listed in his book for 10k!! So i told him i got $1200 you want it or not. He got all violent and told me its a 10k setup and and you wanna $#@!ing scam me?! and i just walked away.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I want to go find these guys again, and just tell 'em $30! Damn afterthoughts...