Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Seems like the worst offending state in this case is Illinois, if you search about them and the amount of people arrested for recording cops a lot of them do come from that state. The last woman to be arrested for that was on June 24th, just a few days ago. She was recording police officers arresting somebody from the front lawn of her home. The charges against her were dismissed, her name is Emily Good.

It is sickening to see that the government is working very hard to put people away who have no prior arrests and are non violent for up to 15 years because they recorded a police officer. Meanwhile a sex offender rapes a 15 year old victim goes to jail for 4 months and then is on probation for 5 years (one of 3 sex offenders living in my town).

The majority of the citizens do not know about whether they can or can not record police because they come from the mindset of "If they can record me, I can record them" and they will get in trouble.

Here is a quick rundown of the eavesdropping law and the states that use them against their citizens. And whats weird is that if you read the laws it seems like whatever the cops are doing is always illegal with the cruiser cams and wire tapping of organized crime etc. How do they get around it? It's written everywhere that you need consent, do we have a lawyer that specializes in this stuff or a law student on the forum?

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html
    It isn't eavesdropping to record police officers in public as there is no right to privacy in public.

It would only be eavesdropping if you went out of your way to conceal yourself or covertly record their voices.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    People make mistakes. Both the cops on the streets and those that hire the cops that should not be out there on the streets. Both of these issues will lead to accidents that should not have happened. However there is big difference from a cop making a mistake and let go because of it and having the state or government instruct/encourage this type of behavior. With the latter being what is being discussed in this thread.

Also want to point out that being in LEO is the hardest most thankless job today. One must still remember they are often forced to make split second decisions. This may not sound like much but many times these decisions can be the difference between simply losing your career or losing your life!
    Maybe Cops should not be given so much authority? Why is it that someone who can't even get into a decent college has authority over people who don't necessarily want a cop telling them what to do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It isn't eavesdropping to record police officers in public as there is no right to privacy in public.

It would only be eavesdropping if you went out of your way to conceal yourself or covertly record their voices.
    I think you're going by the definition of the word: "eavesdropping" but that's not what these laws are about. It simply states that if you use any device that is able to record voice you must have the consent of all the parties you are recording not just your own. Otherwise you might be in violation of the law. There is nothing there that mentions whether you're in a public or private location at the time. Majority of these laws were written in the 60's but that's what state officials and police officials are using against their citizens.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

whats the difference between a ginger and a shoe.........shoes have soles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I think you're going by the definition of the word: "eavesdropping" but that's not what these laws are about. It simply states that if you use any device that is able to record voice you must have the consent of all the parties you are recording not just your own. Otherwise you might be in violation of the law. There is nothing there that mentions whether you're in a public or private location at the time. Majority of these laws were written in the 60's but that's what state officials and police officials are using against their citizens.
    You don't have to have consent of all parties you are recording when out in public. What, the people who taped the Rodney King beating got a waiver from the police officers?

If you are in public you can record. If you go to a park and record a soccer game you don't have to get consent from the people playing in public.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Maybe Cops should not be given so much authority? Why is it that someone who can't even get into a decent college has authority over people who don't necessarily want a cop telling them what to do?
    What authority are you speaking of? I would not want to be a LEO because I feel that the government/state hamstrings them with so many rules and regulations it puts their lives at risk unnecessarily. The same thing goes for today's military!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1984 is on its way/is pretty much already here guys. hi5
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    What authority are you speaking of? I would not want to be a LEO because I feel that the government/state hamstrings them with so many rules and regulations it puts their lives at risk unnecessarily. The same thing goes for today's military!
    That they feel they can basically tell citizens what do to do. Can arrest you when they feel like it. Pull you over for basically any reason. Probable cause BULL$#@! that they can invent.

Too many rules and regulations? I don't think so, they leave way too much to the officer's interpretation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That they feel they can basically tell citizens what do to do. Can arrest you when they feel like it. Pull you over for basically any reason. Probably cause BULL$#@! that they can invent.

Too many rules and regulations? I don't think so, they leave way too much to the officer's interpretation.
    Plus f'ing 1
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

That they feel they can basically tell citizens what do to do. Can arrest you when they feel like it. Pull you over for basically any reason. Probable cause BULL$#@! that they can invent.

Exactly - the cops view of how something went down will always be taken as fact before yours or anyone elses. And the only reason for this is because they went through rigorous training to become a LEO. LOL!!! Yeah right....it's the biggest bunch of sh!t I've ever heard. What, because you trained hard for something means your ability to lie is gone ??? Such an absolute crock of sh!t. The mentality that drives someone to become a LEO is not what it used to be. "Protect and serve" should be replaced with Attack, obstruct and disregard". It's really a shame but the cops know that the ordinary person has ZERO knowledge of the laws compared to them - and it's something that they use to their advantage daily. Knowing the laws of your state as it affects you on a daily basis can go a long way to making sure some punk cop doesn't abuse his or her power. Most of them are a bunch of d!ckless fagg0ts who were treated like crap as kids and thats their motivation for carrying a badge and a gun - so go figure...
    And AFAIK, the whole video taping them comes down to the expectation of public domain and it's not illegal so long as you are not obstructing them. That's a grey area where the cop knows if he arrests you for taping him, he can always say you were obstructing his ability to perform his job and more often than not the judge will side with him.
    So yeah, it's a really sh!itty state of affairs that we have going on now days. Even worse in California where every day you hear about some government official or cop involved in some sort of corruption. And to those of you who want to argue that they are just the bad apples, I'd say they are just the ones who got caught. I have ZERO respect for anyone in law enforcement because the inherent nature of enforcing laws is something that humans are unable to do 100% right, 100% of the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Exactly - the cops view of how something went down will always be taken as fact before yours or anyone elses.
    This is what bugs me. Why is the cops view of went down (opinion) valued higher than citizens?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

This is what bugs me. Why is the cops view of went down (opinion) valued higher than citizens?
    Because, in the courts eyes they are "professionals" who are trained to objectively and without bias recount exactly what happened and be 100% truthful. Why do you think they are taking away and destroying peoples cell/video phones ???? NO EVIDENCE and now it's your word against his...and guess who the judge is going to believe ??? You, the guy paying his salary ??? Noooooo, never!!!!!
    Man....now you've got me all wound up...LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Man....now you've got me all wound up...LOL
    Good Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

LOL - faker Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Exactly - the cops view of how something went down will always be taken as fact before yours or anyone elses. And the only reason for this is because they went through rigorous training to become a LEO. LOL!!! Yeah right....it's the biggest bunch of sh!t I've ever heard. What, because you trained hard for something means your ability to lie is gone ??? Such an absolute crock of sh!t. The mentality that drives someone to become a LEO is not what it used to be. "Protect and serve" should be replaced with Attack, obstruct and disregard". It's really a shame but the cops know that the ordinary person has ZERO knowledge of the laws compared to them - and it's something that they use to their advantage daily. Knowing the laws of your state as it affects you on a daily basis can go a long way to making sure some punk cop doesn't abuse his or her power. Most of them are a bunch of d!ckless fagg0ts who were treated like crap as kids and thats their motivation for carrying a badge and a gun - so go figure...
    And AFAIK, the whole video taping them comes down to the expectation of public domain and it's not illegal so long as you are not obstructing them. That's a grey area where the cop knows if he arrests you for taping him, he can always say you were obstructing his ability to perform his job and more often than not the judge will side with him.
    So yeah, it's a really sh!itty state of affairs that we have going on now days. Even worse in California where every day you hear about some government official or cop involved in some sort of corruption. And to those of you who want to argue that they are just the bad apples, I'd say they are just the ones who got caught. I have ZERO respect for anyone in law enforcement because the inherent nature of enforcing laws is something that humans are unable to do 100% right, 100% of the time.
    i dont think this is entirely true, when i was a juror the defense attorney always points out that a cop is a human being under his uniform. It's a basic assumption to make, people make mistakes, cops are people; therefore cops can make mistakes. If you are faced in court in a situation where it's your word against a cop, the cop cannot win unless he has proof. That is how traffic lawyer system works.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    i dont think this is entirely true, when i was a juror the defense attorney always points out that a cop is a human being under his uniform. It's a basic assumption to make, people make mistakes, cops are people; therefore cops can make mistakes. If you are faced in court in a situation where it's your word against a cop, the cop cannot win unless he has proof. That is how traffic lawyer system works.
    You don't always have a jury trial. When a judge is deciding they will pretty much always take the cops word.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

You don't always have a jury trial. When a judge is deciding they will pretty much always take the cops word.
    not always true... judge wont always take the cops word, in this country youre innocent until proven guilty. cop has to prove your guilt, if he cant, and all he has is his eye witness account then that doesnt mean $#@!, i could be wrong.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

not always true... judge wont always take the cops word, in this country youre innocent until proven guilty. cop has to prove your guilt, if he cant, and all he has is his eye witness account then that doesnt mean $#@!, i could be wrong.
    Trust me, I know the idea is innocent until proven guilty and it sounds nice but in practice it isn't always that way. Cops lie in court all the time for the state and a judge will pretty much always side with a cop if it is your word against his.

I understand what you are saying but what a cop puts in a police report for example can be used against you even if it isn't true. The guy could make it all up and you can't do much about it unless you have proof otherwise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Trust me, I know the idea is innocent until proven guilty and it sounds nice but in practice it isn't always that way. Cops lie in court all the time for the state and a judge will pretty much always side with a cop if it is your word against his.

I understand what you are saying but what a cop puts in a police report for example can be used against you even if it isn't true. The guy could make it all up and you can't do much about it unless you have proof otherwise.
    ive seen that before and it pisses me off

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

ive seen that before and it pisses me off
    Me too. It isn't perfect but it's the best we've got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12