Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes-Benz breaks drifting world record over distance in the C63 AMG

We reported last week that Mercedes was attempting to break the world record for drifting over distance. We are now pleased to tell you, they succeeded. Mercedes driver and instructor Mauro Calo successfully achieved what he promised. The previous record of 394 meters was obliterated with Calo going a total distance of an absolutely astounding 2308 meters or 1.4 miles. Congratulations to Mercedes, AMG, and Mauro Calo. Video and pictures below.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    don't want to downgrade this, But it isn't what i imagined.
    Drifting in a circle isn't that hard, i mean with practice even I can do that. i thought they would drift in a track not in a circle.

anyway, congratulations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    don't want to downgrade this, But it isn't what i imagined.
    Drifting in a circle isn't that hard, i mean with practice even I can do that. i thought they would drift in a track not in a circle.

anyway, congratulations.
    The goal was over distance so on a course it wouldn't work as you would have to break your drift for various turns.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also was thinking on a "track" ..i assumed it would of been a tighter track with non stop turns, cause as sticky said the drift would stop but thats on the straights
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    I also was thinking on a "track" ..i assumed it would of been a tighter track with non stop turns, cause as sticky said the drift would stop but thats on the straights
    Yes, long straights would be a problem as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    a talented driver can drift even in straight line, pretty stupid though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, good job MB & Mauro Calo. Must have been pretty tough to hold that drift for such a long time, 8 laps? Nice job. It would have been much more entertaining if it were on the track I agree.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want to see the tires and what tires he used. Drifting for that long, idk how it didnt reach his rims.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    I want to see the tires and what tires he used. Drifting for that long, idk how it didnt reach his rims.
    I have the same questions.

I really think this is great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Good publicity for the C63. Daimler is starting to really put some serious marketing money into the AMG brand. This sort of stuff helps and def gets the AMG name out (there are still lots of people out there who don't quite know what AMG is all about.) And things like this will help with the new E63 coupe sales.

Chris Harris likes it too Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And to think we all complain about getting a few thousand miles out of our rearsClick here to enlarge
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge
    2011 X3 2.8 Vermillion Red/Black loaded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember Gitten jr. from formula D did this in a mustang and i believe it was a smaller circle though... congrats to MB nonetheless
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys your nuts if you don't think that's impressive! I mean to even To prevent the tires from hooking up in a car with under 500whp is not easy.I don't know if this car had stock suspension but remember if it does the car natuarlly wants to correct it self.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    Guys your nuts if you don't think that's impressive! I mean to even To prevent the tires from hooking up in a car with under 500whp is not easy.I don't know if this car had stock suspension but remember if it does the car natuarlly wants to correct it self.
    It's super impressive. Not sure what people were expecting. You can't sustain a drift like that around a roadcourse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's super impressive. Not sure what people were expecting. You can't sustain a drift like that around a roadcourse.
    If it was that easy it wouldn't be a world record! And it cant simply be done with practice either,with practice I could ball like Kobe,throw like Peyton, and hit like Arod!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In practice, I can set the record for the most uncontrollable drift... j/k Click here to enlarge

I think they did a good job.... to remain in a fully controlled drift for that long is simply amazing.