Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Evo Magazine : 1M vs Cayman R

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Great post!

Nice to see a reviewer that doesn't drive like a grandma. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Chris Harris certainly knows how to drive.
    He's my favorite journalist/reviewer, the good thing about him is he doesn't talk BS like Jeremy Clarkson.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Nice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I wish more car reviewers were like this guy. He's fun to watch and he drives the cars pretty intense

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

LOL, who gave Fallon neg rep beside me ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

lol you guy are mean man Click here to enlarge. Is that character even the real fallon? I'll give neg rep if they deserve it. Based on the content of the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

She(I assume it's a he not a she) just wanted to post something on this forum, all the 4 comments she posted have nothing to do with the thread, all she did was posting "Nice" on the most recent updated threads and went.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^oh lol I see. Makes no sense then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I haven't watched the vid yet--I'm about to. But, I wanted to state my prediction first, from what I know.

I will guess that the 1M will kick the crap out of the Porsche. The 1M is dramatically different from the stock 135 compared to the relatively slight difference in the Cayman to Cayman R. From what I understand, the Cayman R has a miniscule bump in power and a very slim drop in weight.

The 1M should have better acceleration and handling given the parts it shares with M3's. The Cayman, while seemingly a good idea on paper, doesn't seem to generate great performance numbers.

Now, it's time to watch the video and see if I need to apologize to Porsche.

Edit: I've only watched about 2 mins and it seems I owe Porsche an apology. My bad, looks like I was wrong about the performance aspect.

Edit 2: The vid wasn't really a comparison. But, it was good, nonetheless.

I just have a problem with manufacturers trying to get consumers excited about miniscule changes to cars and then labeling them "R" specs. It turns me off from a car.
    Last edited by Sonny; 06-15-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The more I see the 1M the more I like it. I think it looks awesome. Does the S65 fit in the 1M's engine bay?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I completely disagree with him.

He says M cars are about the chassis and not the engine, that is complete BS. M cars are the entire package INCLUDING the engine. He then says it has an ordinary motor, which it does, which means it is an ordinary BMW with an M chassis. He also states it doesn't fell like an M motor, well there you go. Sorry, an M car has to have all the parts not just some. He undermines his own point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Come on man, you don't like it and i can understand. It's a decent car with a good engine, but with no personality.

Surely M cars are more about chassis, you can't change the fact because you care more about performance and you are trying to make a straight line monster. Take your car to a track and then try 335i, you will see what I'm saying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Come on man, you don't like it and i can understand. It's a decent car with a good engine, but with no personality.
    I like it, I just don't think it's an M.

Surely M cars are more about chassis, you can't change the fact because you care more about performance and you are trying to make a straight line monster. Take your car to a track and then try 335i, you will see what I'm saying.
    M cars are about the entire car. If it's just a chassis call it a 135is. If I wanted a straightline monster a turbo motor is the way to go, right? A track motor is all about response and an M motor with high revs and independent throttle bodies can't be beat. That is why M made them in the first place and they took pride in them. They couldn't imagine forced induction on their motors saying high revs were part of the experience and that forced induction was a shortcut, period.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

of course it's about the entire car, when was the last time they made an M car without a good engine ? even 1M has a good tweaked engine.

I got mixed here, you mean you supercharged your car and it will be a track car ? Man, i respect you i'm not trying to say BS, but this is all wrong.

It's Hochenheim track, as you can see it's a fast track so the power is the main factor. M3 GTS lapped it in 1:12.5, M3 GTS with G-power SKII did it in 1:11.8, extra 180HP and that kind of difference ? man it's all wrong, definetly the reason behind supercharging wasn't having a faster car around a track.

Click here to enlarge

You aren't happy with the new BMW direction ? I'm not happy neither, But what does it have to do with 1M ? if you are not glad BMW made it, so you shouldn't be happy with all the future models from because all are gonna be FI like other RS and AMG cars.

What can we do ? be less negative and think a bit more positive, the engineers in M division are the same as before, and hopefully they will remain as good as now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

of course it's about the entire car, when was the last time they made an M car without a good engine ? even 1M has a good tweaked engine.
    It has an engine they just threw in from another car. Should it's good, but it isn't an M motor and never was.

I got mixed here, you mean you supercharged your car and it will be a track car ? Man, i respect you i'm not trying to say BS, but this is all wrong.
    That's not what I said. What I'm building my car for is completely irrelevant to the fact of what M motors traditionally have been for the track. The S65 is a better track motor than the N54, period. It is a better M motor, period.

You aren't happy with the new BMW direction ? I'm not happy neither, But what does it have to do with 1M ? if you are not glad BMW made it, so you shouldn't be happy with all the future models from because all are gonna be FI like other RS and AMG cars.
    BMW sold out. The 1M is the epitome of it and the epitome of the dilution of the M brand. I'm not going to let them or anyone forget it. Almost everyone else is buying into this $#@! blindly and it makes me sick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sticky, so you are taking a shortcut by putting a blower on your car? You have to understand you can only get so far with revs/displacement before it gets ridiculous to build and costly to maintain.

The only reason I got into a BMW is because of that twin-turbo I6. Otherwise I would of picked up a 4th Gen Supra Turbo.....

I get what you are saying about the M name. To me it's just a good car, I don't care if it was called 135mis-tii-Fsport, but you are sad to see the M guys get washed away.... understandable.

You can't deny it's going to be a fun car for the money though. And it has plenty of room for more power and comes with an ECU (DME, whatever) that is great at handling boost and ignition timing.... the two things that are likely to blow up a turbo car if not setup correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

It has an engine they just threw in from another car. Should it's good, but it isn't an M motor and never was.
    It seems your problem is with the name, right ? how about Tii ?
    but let's not forget recent M cars didn't have unique engines, S65 is a 8cylinder version of S85. S52 is basically an M52, S62 is a tweaked M62 with more displacement.
    I do agree they worked on these engines much more than N54 case, but they DID some changes in N54 before putting it in 1M.

That's not what I said. What I'm building my car for is completely irrelevant to the fact of what M motors traditionally have been for the track. The S65 is a better track motor than the N54, period. It is a better M motor, period.
    I concur.

BMW sold out. The 1M is the epitome of it and the epitome of the dilution of the M brand. I'm not going to let them or anyone forget it. Almost everyone else is buying into this $#@! blindly and it makes me sick.
    Can't you arrange a meeting with BMW NA CEO ? or someone less important ? please try Sticky.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, so you are taking a shortcut by putting a blower on your car? You have to understand you can only get so far with revs/displacement before it gets ridiculous to build and costly to maintain.
    No, I'm not building a factory car sold to you. I'm taking an efficient powerplant because it is a high hp per liter NA motor and adding boost for big power. I bought it with this intention.

This does not change the fact it is a proper M car to begin with.

I get what you are saying about the M name. To me it's just a good car, I don't care if it was called 135mis-tii-Fsport, but you are sad to see the M guys get washed away.... understandable.

You can't deny it's going to be a fun car for the money though. And it has plenty of room for more power and comes with an ECU (DME, whatever) that is great at handling boost and ignition timing.... the two things that are likely to blow up a turbo car if not setup correctly.
    Yes it's a great car and can be modded easily and I understand this appeal. I am more concerned about the M principles which suddenly do not matter any longer in a quest for profit. BMW lost a lot of its credibility and integrity. M is also not as special as it once was. Somebody has to say something...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Can't you arrange a meeting with BMW NA CEO ? or someone less important ? please try Sticky.
    I have a feeling if I ever got an interview with a BMW higher up they would never speak to me or ever sell me a car again. I'll try Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Well not everyone is going to modify their 1M's, so we can't say it's a great car because in future someone is going make a powerful modified 1M.
    But it must be a really fun car.

you are going to get one, right ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have a feeling if I ever got an interview with a BMW higher up they would never speak to me or ever sell me a car again. I'll try Click here to enlarge
    Thanks, if they don't want to interview with you we will stick to plan B.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Thanks, if they don't want to interview with you we will stick to plan B.
    What is plan B?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is plan B?
    some punches in face, if you want we can kick in their balls too. then you can interview with them.

That's the process of interviewing here, I want to expand it all over the world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

some punches in face, if you want we can kick in their balls too. then you can interview with them.

That's the process of interviewing here, I want to expand it all over the world.
    Hahahaahha!